5 replies to this topic

#1 William DC

William DC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:55 PM

The EDC accessory for your freaking face.

Just wanted to get peoples insight on neck tubes. The people that I have met who hunt or fish during the fall/winter season swear by them. What are some quality neck tubes for everyday use (fall/winter).

Let me know,

Cheers,

William de Campenhout

Content Director @ Dual Carry

Toronto, Ont.

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

I only use a Balaclava when it's that cold out. I have a few, but prefer the UA.

• Brendan likes this

#3 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

I still have one or two of the polypropylene neck gaitors I used in the army (more than 15 years ago, now). They work great, but I don't know where to get more of them. REI sells something similar, though not as good.

I consider them indispensable, if it's really cold out there. They can take the place of a scarf, a watch cap, an ear-warmer headband, or even a balaclava. They are best worn with a watch cap, to keep the neck, ears, or face covered.

#4 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

I bought these when they were on Kickstarter - pure Australian merino wool sewn in the USA.

#5 Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

Around here we call them neck gaiters. They are very effective at keeping the face and neck warm. When using public transit and walking I would wear 2, one around my face and another around the neck. Switched to a hoodie so I don't use them anymore.

A thin cheap one is good if it's not too cold - -10c or 14f. Mine was $4 from Mark's Work Wearhouse in Canada. Made from acrylic. 

Most of Canada and lots of the USA is far colder so thicker would be better.

Just looked for the link on Mark's site but they are only showing ones from Helly Hansen for double the cost. 

#6 Zezlan

Zezlan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

I actually just took advantage of this special they're running with SA Fishing: https://safishing.co.../#configuration it is 5 face/neck shields for $15. I doubt they will serve much in terms of warmth for winter, but I figure they could be pretty nice for some neck cover during longer days out fishing this summer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, edc, neck tube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users