#1 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

I'm thinking about taking up smoking a pipe. I remember how great my dad's pipe smelled. The wife is on board too as she also has fond memories of her dad's pipe smoke. Any advice on a economical starting pipe and aromatic tobacco that's not hard on the budget (yes, I'm cheap) would be helpful. Also any downsides to pipe smoking or any advice that you'd like to pass on.

Thanks;

Wally (who would have to figure out how to keep a pipe dry in the swamp!   :lol: )

#2 Jerry Pruitt

Jerry Pruitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

Only thing I can suggest is that you and your wife go to a smoke shop there are some that is cheap and will be to your liking, you must have the feel for it to what best fit your style and yes I do love the smell of a good pipe, the flavor black cherry is real good you love it.

#3 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:59 PM

You can't really beat a nice corncob. Here is a picture of two from the Missouri Meerschaum company. Very cheap but good quality pipes. One is in my hiking bag, the lower one is in my regular rotation and hold its own with the expensive briar pipes.

corncob.jpg

#4 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'd also suggest that smoking a filter pipe might be better both healthwise and for a smoother smoke. It's not popular in the US but in Europe it's almost a given. The pipes above are filter pipes, they take balsa wood triangular filters which cost pennies and it gives a drier and nicer (to my mind) smoke.

#5 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

I started with Davidoff Scottish Mixture. It's not an aromatic as such though it does have whisky poured over it. It was a great smooth start to the habit. Good quality mild tobacco without any funkiness or acquired tastes. Another nice light starter is Macbarens Navy Flake. I find it a very mild and relaxing smoke. Supposed to have rum added though I can't taste it. Both are well priced, in the US at least. Neither available here any more unfortunately, I have to rely on friends to get any in :(

pipe_1.jpg

#6 Robert -White Feather

Robert -White Feather

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

I used to smoke a few cigars, still do but tend to smoke a pipe more.  Got a little Dr. Grabow pipe I use for personal use, and a peace pipe for gatherings.  My favorite tobacco is CAO Moontrance, infused with exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla, smooth, nice taste and smells great (even the wife likes it).

#7 Mark Nielsen

Mark Nielsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

You asked about a downside to smoking a pipe and no one mentions the stale smoke smell in your house and on all you clothes and lung cancer?

Just putting it out there.

Take care of yourself.

#8 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Pipes and Cigars had a welcome package which had a tin of tobacco, a Czech tool, a pipe stand and other stuff but no pipes. I did buy a couple of corn cub pipes and extra tobacco. Today I was able to start my pipe with one match. I enjoy setting in on my back deck smoking a pipe and watching my dogs and the world go by.

#9 topbreak38

topbreak38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Today I was able to start my pipe with one match. I enjoy setting in on my back deck smoking a pipe and watching my dogs and the world go by.

No charring light?

Anyway, my biggest advice would be to always buy Missouri Meerschaum for corn cob pipes. There are crappy cheap ones from China but the quality is always suspect. There is a YouTube channel called Aristocob that might help you out. He had one tip for "pipe mud" in corn cobs: take the ash from a premium cigar, mix it with a little water to make a paste, and push it into the pipe to make a good bottom around the opening. This keeps all the smokable tobacco above the stem, reinforces the bottom, and will make cleaning easier since dottle won't settle around it.

When smoking aromatics, make sure you slow down or it will overheat and turn into a sticky molasses-like sludge at the bottom of the pipe and it will be a pain to clean. It is also easier to get "tongue bite" from aromatics.

Since you have more than one, rotate your pipes if you smoke every day so they can rest. I also store them in a rack with the bowl down so anything that settles won't go to the mouthpiece and give you a bitter taste.

You should also get a mason jar to keep the tobacco from drying out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users