#41 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Becoming familiar with the ideas and things that make us uncomfortable or offended is the single best way to improve ourselves as human beings. If after making the effort, as I have suggested, you still feel the same or your aversion grows, then please feel free to ignore posts and discussions on this site that are related to firearms, as coldwater suggested.

If their reason for coming to this part of the forum is to troll and stir up trouble, no, they're not welcome.

If they are not actually interested in learning about us, our reasons, and our firearms, I presume they wouldn't come here in the first place.

I rest my case. 'If you don't agree with us then get lost'.

My statements that you quoted in no way said what you claim.

The out-of-context portions of my posts that you quoted address the appropriate way for visitors engage with us on this forum, not the content nor validity of their opinion. The context of my posts is important to that distinction, as I did explicitly encourage an ongoing discussion on the topic of firearms in EDC. Which, frankly, means that we're both in favor of a respectful discussion; as such, I'm not sure why you continue to express opposition to my statements.

I agree with you that coldwater's seemingly closed-minded terseness and off-putting tone are marginally worth questioning from the standpoint of civil discourse. I disagree, however, that his statements are unfounded given the specific tone of, and lack of justification in, Gren's post. I also fully understand coldwater's mentality when it comes to how these sort of discussions usually play out. My posts were written for the express purpose of diffusing any conflict between coldwater and Gren, and I can say confidently, based on a private message that I received from Gren, that I succeeded.

I can also find fault in your approach to this discussion, Ben, in that rather than taking the moral high ground and helping me guide the discussion to a productive end, you "called us out", so to speak, based on your preconceived notions. Such semantic bickering does not advance the cause of reasonable and open-minded discussion on the topic of firearms.

If the anti gun movement in the US wins this battle it will not be because they are correct or have a better position but because of the aggressive belligerence of the proponents rather than reasoned arguments. I believe the movement deserves more intelligence than the chest beating and anger that the rest of the world sees. Can you get it through your anger that I am not anti gun but very much anti the fight being lost stupidly? Being lost when it could have been won? Being lost due to the majorities revulsion for your kind of bar room brawler attitude?

Please correct me if I am misinterpreting this statement, but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder with regard to how pro-gun/anti-gun discussions have been had in the past. I wholeheartedly agree with you that all such discussions should be had respectfully and with an open-minded approach - to understand the specific concerns of each anti-gun individual, and work with them to find common ground based on reason and facts.

What you seem to be implying (if not outright stating) is that my posts somehow fall into the category of "chest beating and anger" that you oppose. That is what offends me. I have done my absolute best to ensure that my posts do not come off that way; and I believe that the portions of my posts that you quoted, in their original context, do not.

#42 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:02 PM

This is the Firearms sub-forum of Everyday Carry Forum. Obviously, this is a place to discuss the topic of carrying firearms every day. This makes the current thread strange for two reasons.

First, it's strange that the question of the forum being anti-gun would arise at all. Isn't the existence of this sub-forum enough to demonstrate that the site is not anti-gun?

Secondly, if there's a lack of civility, it would seem obvious who's most to blame. That would be the person responsible for post #16, who posted on a firearms topic, to say that he or she didn't want so many firearms being discussed. Yet half the thread has now been devoted to the controversy that the pro-gun members went too far in defending firearms. While the latter is a discussion worth having, there seems to be a lack of perspective.

While firearms might offend some, it's a core part of EDC for many of us, so it would seem to go with the territory. Posting anti-gun sentiment in gun-related topics would seem to be intentional, and completely avoidable.

#43 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Glock 43. 19 or 26 if lean enough.

Walther PPS M2.

#44 Sten Duncan

Sten Duncan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:11 AM

Interesting discussion.

I guess it depends on your point of view.  I'm in Oz and EDC of a firearm is not going to happen for normal citizens, not that I want it anyway.

I tend to look at the posts via the Newest feed, and I've been kind of surprised at how many people do show their handgun carry.

Different cultures, I guess.

#45 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

Interesting discussion.

I guess it depends on your point of view.  I'm in Oz and EDC of a firearm is not going to happen for normal citizens, not that I want it anyway.

I tend to look at the posts via the Newest feed, and I've been kind of surprised at how many people do show their handgun carry.

Without doubt culturalism has a great deal to do with it when it concerns those not from the US. Americans that simply hate guns are a new breed of people, mostly spawned over the last few decades. From our inception, we have been a nation of riflemen. It was taught in most public schools  prior to the 1960's and a common way of life here until recently. Funny thing is, while we are called "gun nuts" by those wishing to cast us in a poor light, to most of us, a firearm is no more than a tool. Some people like to paint, and this requires a brush. Others enjoy knitting, carving, mechanics, gardening, and fishing. Every one of these past times requires a tool. Our past time is no different. Speaking only for myself, the reason I become short with those wishing to deny me my rights or enjoyment, is the result of years of having insults hurled at me, and being called nasty and increasingly vulgar names because of my enjoyment of the shooting sports. 

#46 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

I'm pro firearm, but I don't lump firearms into EDC. I like the way this forum has it set up, with a section for it, along with a section for most other EDC items.

However, is EDC in general, as a culture, anti-gun? I don't think so, anything could be EDC, from chapstick, to knives, to snacks, or even condoms, lol.

Regardless, the gun debate is hot Nationwide right now, so if people are going to get their feelings hurt, it's good for the forum to have a separate section for it.

#47 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

When you say you're surprised that people show their carry handguns, are you saying that you're surprised that so many people carry them, or does it surprise you that we include them in our photos? Or both?

I ask because I saw a post a while back, in which someone said that he thought guns would be something one wouldn't discuss on the forum. I think he said they should be "a hidden item."

This leads to the further question of whether that has to do with guns being off-putting, to some people, or if it has to do with worries about government (or maybe thieves, or nosy neighbors) knowing what we have.

Personally, I don't want my neighbors (and their meth-head relatives) to know I have guns, but I doubt they'd find out from boards like this.

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#48 Sten Duncan

Sten Duncan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

Apologies for the delay in replying, but Real Life gets in the way a lot hereabouts.

The answer to the question is 'both'.  I was a little surprised by both the prevalence and the open-ness of people showing their carry.  Doesn't concealed mean hidden?

Doesn't worry me - as I said I'm from a different culture.  I just find it interesting.

#49 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:53 PM

Find what interesting? If I were to knock on your door, I doubt you would recognize me. I doubt you would be able to pick me out on a street or in a restaurant. I don't carry a sign  or wear a T shirt stating I an carrying a sidearm, yet, I do every day of my life, and no one knows. Not even the young girl at at the farm stand on the way home yesterday, wearing a Bernie Sanders for president shirt that sold me tomatoes and a head of lettuce. Openness because we are not criminals nor do we have anything to hide. We are open to discuss it, show images like it were a watch a wallet or a pocket knife. "WE" see firearms as only a tool, like anyone else sees the items they choose to carry, like a multi tool.  We find it very odd that so many see an inanimate tool to be so frightening and and become angered by our legal choice to carry. Worry about the intent of the criminal, not the choices of law abiding citizen. 

• Matt likes this

#50 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

The answer to the question is 'both'.  I was a little surprised by both the prevalence and the open-ness of people showing their carry.  Doesn't concealed mean hidden?

As far as prevalance goes, a study from a couple of years ago said that about 5% of American adults have a concealed carry permit.

http://concealednati...ly-law-abiding/

Of course, there's a wide variance between states. States like New Jersey and Maryland have a very restrictive process, and few people are able to legally carry. In most of the United States, permits are much easier to obtain, and people are much more likely to carry. In twelve states (so far - the number is likely to increase), anyone who can legally own a gun is welcome to carry it concealed; no permit required. I believe there are other states where carrying openly is legal, but concealment (still) requires a permit. Also, keep in mind that an EDC forum will be more heavily weighted toward those who are into preparedness, and who are fond of carrying cool stuff, so...

Speaking of open vs concealed, those of us who carry aren't necessarily concerned about concealment. In my state, having a permit, I can carry either way. So, really, open or concealed is not binary for me. It's on a spectrum. (See what I did there?) Since this is a forum about what we carry, and why, and how, etc; showing off the handguns along with the wallets and ink pens makes perfect sense to me. Since EveryDayCarry.com has a sub-forum specifically for firearms, I guess it make sense to some other people, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firearm, handgun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users