J5 Tactical's. V1

4 replies to this topic

#1 TonySal

TonySal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

Price is right, a touch big for the pocket - pretty good though...
What do you folks think,considering ....

#2 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

It looks like an overpriced, under-powered light.

Looks like a copy of one of these Sipik SK-68 lights, which can be had for about four or five bucks.  It's a no-frills light, but worth it, at that lower price...possibly.

+IMG_7822a.jpg

Sipik 68 - the cheapest light I own.

I think I only paid maybe 8 bucks for this light. When I first received it, and installed a 14500 battery in it, I was completely blown away by this kind of output, from such a small light - in spite of the extremely ugly beam shape, when set to spot. Still, it was a good buy, and this particular light is well-regarded in budget light circles. You just need to be realistic about what to expect from a budget light. They all have their limitations.

There are plenty of clones of this particular model; but as cheap as it is, may as well just get the real one lol.

I'm basing my comments on this website link below:

http://www.j5tactica...ct/j5-tactical/

1. The actual out the front lumen rating isn't given.
  2. The 250 "manufacturer" lumens means 250 output at the emitter, BEFORE it hits the reflector and gets past the glass (assuming it's even glass.  They probably used cheap plastic for the lens) - which would probably equate to more like 200 or so, at best.  There is always some loss of output, and more reputable flashlight companies list the real out-the-front rated output (ANSI), and usually run times you can expect from the light, also based on the different types of batteries it will accept.
  3. It's a one-mode-only.  Either on, or off, so it'll probably eat through batteries like crazy, and you're more than likely, going to have to use a 14500 battery to achieve that output.
  4. It appears to be a zooming (focus-able) light, which also means that it's not fully waterproof. It's kind of a fatal flaw, in most inexpensive zoom-able lights.  It would be water/splash resistant, only. 
  5. The V1 Pro unit seems to have Low, High, and Strobe, but only lists a one hour run time on high, using an alkaline battery, and has a 300 lumen emitter output.  Deceiving.  There doesn't seem to be any mention (that I found, anyway) as to whether that model would support a 14500 lithium ion battery, or what the run time would be with that battery.  That's not very promising.  I could have missed it, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't give any credence to any of the people who left reviews for this light.  They've probably never actually seen or used nicer lights, and may be just used to the junk that's sold in most department and hardware stores - so it would be easy to be impressed by something like one of these.

I'm not really seeing anything attractive about these light, in terms of features or performance.

What was it about the light that caught your attention?

Not worth the investment, in my opinion.

#3 TonySal

TonySal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the in-depth professional response! I'm kinda new to torches but I know of some high end ones. J5 just had the look...and it does work. I'm happy with my Fenix 01 lol...
  • David Quevedo likes this

#4 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the in-depth professional response! I'm kinda new to torches but I know of some high end ones. J5 just had the look...and it does work. I'm happy with my Fenix 01 lol...

You're most welcome!

I have a lot of Fenix lights, myself, and I think they're very well-built lights. Super dependable. Most of mine are 18650-based lights, and the 18650 is my battery of choice, for heavy-use lights. The one I seem to be using the most, these days (especially at work), is the PD40 - a 26650 light (4th from the left, in the picture below). I usually carry that one (and others) in my pack.

IMG_7507.jpg

One of the most impressive lights I ever purchased (for its size, but very nice output) was the E15. In fact, the original E15 was the very first Fenix light I ever purchased. That one got me started on the roller coaster lol.

The newest version packs 450 lumens max output (on Hi, and runs on a 16340 battery - yet it's absolutely tiny (pretty much a key chain-sized light). The previous version is on the far left, in the picture, above. It's one of the smallest flashlights I own, and the smallest Fenix light I have.

They made numerous enhancements on this version - like the ability to run it on a lithium ion battery (whereas the previous two models required the primary (disposable) CR123 battery, which got really expensive to have to be constantly replacing.

They also tightened up the threads (they're still very smooth), so they feel a lot more solid, and the mode switching feels much more stable.

They also put more knurling on the body, so it's got a far better grip to it, as well.

Lastly they changed the mode sequence. It used to start off on Medium, then Low, then Hi. Now, it always starts off in Low (8 lumens).

Here is a picture of the 170 lumen version (version 2 - pictured. On the left. Version 1 had 130 lumens), and the newer 450 lumen version. Not much bigger than the previous version, but so much more powerful, and lithium ion friendly :-).

IMG_8664.jpg

#5 TonySal

TonySal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the tips! Never thought the J5 as good as one of those 200 buck models lol
  • David Quevedo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users