EVERYday carry vs Weekend carry/Travel carry/ Camping carry

9 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

As a somewhat new user to this website, I've seen a lot of posts that are clearly not everyday carry. The title itself typically depicts what I'm talking about. As a fellow EDCer, I am of the mindset that we carry items EVERY day. Therefore, I have to ask myself why I am seeing so much stuff for "weekend carry", "a day on the trails carry", "camping carry", "travel carry", etc. I'd rather see what people carry on a day to day basis...not for specific scenarios. Anyone else share the same opinion? I mean I carry a pistol when outside of work, but I don't consider it EDC because I can't carry a firearm at work...

#2 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

I agree with you there, but I personally like the aspect of seeing what people bring with them to do cool/unique things. That may be just me though. I think there's a good balance on this site of people posting their EVERYday carries and people posting special occasion carries.

#3 Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

True. You do get to see some unique things/gear for different scenarios. To me it just goes back to the foundation of what we do, and that's stuff that we choose to carry on a daily basis. You're right though, there is a good mix on here. I like to see what people actually carry...not their collections. I might be old school with my mindset, but to me, the stuff you have in your survival bag doesn't count as EDC because it's not something you are carrying around all the time (even if that bag is in your car/truck. With me, it has to be something you have on your person more often than not to count as EDC. Anyways, I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion, I was just curious if anyone else shared the same thoughts.
  • Mason Delpino likes this

#4 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:02 PM

I totally agree with that! I kinda don't like seeing all 100 items from someone's bugout bag in a carry, but sometimes it's cool to see what someone carried with them while camping in the desert or something like that..

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:49 PM

I see it completely different. EDC is a SOPMOD scenario every single day. If I were to live a life of absolutely no change in any routine on any basis, my EDC would be static, never changing, and have absolutely no interest to anyone once the first post was out. The only possible change would be, I got this new pen to replace the old pen. EDC does, and should change for every person and every scenario, wether that be home, travel, boating fishing hunting working or camping. During the work week, the only thing that lives on my body is a pair of sliver grippers, a 16' tape measure, and a pencil. Outside of work and on the road means ID a firearm and a knife. Home means empty pockets other than a multitool while working around the property. On the boat or in the woods brings a completely different, and ever changing list. The fun is seeing the lists of others, and getting different ideas. EDC means preparedness. Watch wallet specticles testicles is a short and boring list.

#6 Q-Bert

Q-Bert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

Well said coldwater.

#7 Aaron Pierce

Aaron Pierce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

As I said, I'm not trying to persuade anyone, just wanted to see how others felt. I agree that EDC is about preparedness. That's why I'm a huge proponent of a Survival bag that's all set up in case of emergency. Being prepared means being prepared for different situations. So if things are constantly being changed out/altered to fit different situations, then a person isn't really prepared on a day-to-day basis. Sure, you may change a few things up if you KNOW you're going out for a day on the lake, or camping in an area where temperatures are very cold. But I don't believe your carry options should change drastically on a day to day basis. Anyways, perhaps you and I view EDC differently to begin with. I come more from the mindset of survival, and therefore like always being prepared (I tend to tailor my carry to survival and self-defense). To each their own. Either way, I respect your opinion.

#8 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:33 PM

Yeah, I like this discussion- I think it will be very interesting to hear other people's opinions. I agree that a basic kit should cover most of the bases. Practically, for me, my EDC changes almost daily because I have a lot of different gear. I'm in college, so during the week I never carry. On the weekends, whenever I'm not working, I carry my Taurus PT709 Slim, as well as a knife (usually my Benchmade Mini-Barrage). But either way, my kit always includes a multitool, watch, wallet, and keys. Things I supplement that with are a light, a powerbank, paracord (to practice knots with), headphones, and a daypack to carry it all. But my regular EDC just consists of a watch, wallet, keys and multitool. But I think coldwater's point about it changing is definitely valid- I can say that mine definitely changes.

#9 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Personally, I would like to see a special category of tags added to the submissions.

You can identify a submission as "Everyday", "Rotation", "Situational Carry", etc. so it would be easier to sort through.

#10 Maddy

Maddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:05 AM

Yes, definitely. My EVERY DAY carry is pretty minimal, but I do have different sets of gears for different situations, such as travel, overnight travel vs long distance travel, camping, music gear, photo gear and so on. Would definitely be nice to have a way to categorize or tag them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users