IWB tucked shirt carry Pocket Carry

27 replies to this topic

#1 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'm looking for an EDC firearm for concealed carry.  I want to print as little as possible.  I live in a hot climate and don't wear shorts very often, so I sweat.  Actually, everybody here sweats, even if they ARE wearing shorts.  It also rains very heavily at times.

I probably can't carry at work.  That's just something to deal with.  Whether at work or not, I wear a lot of button-down shirts that are designed to be tucked in.  On weekends, I wear shirts mostly tucked, because that keeps them from riding up over my belly and lower back. 

I mostly wear t-shirts around the house and when running errands and such, and I generally tuck them too because I think untucked shirts don't make me look casual, they make me look sloppy.

Currently, I'm looking at single-stack/compact 9mm firearms such as the Glock 43 and Springfield XDS-9.  I've shot both of them, along with dozens of other 9mm and .380 models.  I think for my EDC I want to go with a 9mm.

I want to be able to pocket-carry as an option, but I can't figure out how to empty the front pocket on my dominant side, and after all that, a 9mm might be too big for my pockets anyway.

Pocket contents:

Left (non-dominant):  Wallet, keys, car key fobs, pocket knife (sometimes), multi-tool (sometimes)

Right (dominant):  money (bills), loose change (sometimes a lot), pocket knife AND multi-tool (usually)

My back pockets are always empty because putting anything in them could exacerbate my lower back pain.

I need some ideas, both for moving stuff out of my right front pocket and for choosing a firearm that will allow me to carry concealed in either IWB or pocket.  Your thoughts?

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Have you thought of a shoulder holster or a concealed carry undershirt? Both options would allow you to carry a small firearm without having to mess with your pocket contents. 

#3 KmaNick

KmaNick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

Shield 9 and ruger Lc9 are both very small and good shooting 9's.

#4 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

I highly recommend the Sig Sauer P938.

It's on the more expensive end of the carry spectrum, and you have to be ok with carrying "cocked and locked with a round in the chamber" and using a 1911-ish battery of arms.  But, if those are drawbacks you can accept, or don't consider them drawbacks, it is a very concealable, light-weight, reliable, and accurate 9mm pistol.

I alternate carry between IWB, in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck, when I need absolutely no printing, and pocket carry, in a DeSantis Nemesis, when deep concealment isn't as important or having a thick belt and IWB holster would be inconvenient.  It fits very well in my hand, and shooting it feels like shooting a much larger pistol; the 9mm recoil is very manageable despite the pistol's small size and light weight - the aluminum frame helps with that.  Carrying a second magazine doesn't introduce any significant bulk; especially in a SneakyPeteHolsters mag carrier.

I arrived at the Sig after trying a Ruger SR40c (too large and heavy) and a Bersa Thunder CC 380 (not reliable, and heavy for its size).  I'm considering getting a small 380 for when the Sig is even too big to conceal, but haven't really needed to thus far.  It's really amazing how oblivious people are to you having a pistol concealed, even when you think you might be printing overmuch.

Best of luck in your search, Stentorian.

• Carter Heurlin likes this

#5 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

I carry IWB a Ruger Lc9 in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck usually under a T-shirt and shorts with an undershirt between the holster and my skin.Florida gets pretty hot too. At church I'll carry inside my right front short's pocket. Having a lot of neck / back problems, I downsized to a Lc9 from a Glock 23 and I don't even notice that I'm carrying. Using a good gun belt, even when carrying in a pocket, will help tremendously with back pain. If you have access to a gun range that will allow you to rent a number of different guns it would be, in my view, money well spend. Folks might rave about this weapon or that but you have to find the one that works for you.   

#6 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:50 PM

I've got a real practical streak; I carry a Kahr CM9 in a Galco Stow-n-Go. Been carrying it this way since 2013 through two hot, humid Southern summers and haven't had problem one with the gun or holster. The Kahr is more accurate than I am and has such a smooth trigger pull. I carry it with the 6 round magazine in it for super concealability and a 7 rounder in my pocket.
  • Mort Youth likes this

#7 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thanks, everybody!

I actually have been renting and shooting quite a number of different guns.  I've narrowed my choices down to the G43 and XDS9.

I'll go back and try the Ruger and the Sig again.  I remember one of them had several FTE's or FTF's (Failure to Eject/Failure to Feed), and the other one kept ejecting the spent brass at my face.  Or maybe it was the .380 versions of those guns that did that; not sure now.  Getting hot brass in the face is not really harmful at the range when I'm wearing eyes and ears, but if that happened while I was in a life-threatening situation without eye protection, then it would be a deal killer and not merely unacceptable.  But I'll go back and shoot them one more time.

Edit:  From my rentals thus far, I have decided that I don't like any Shields or KelTecs.  If memory serves, I think I didn't like the Kahr's either (both in 9mm and .380).  Shields always felt wrong, and the KelTecs just were not comfortable.  I'd have to shoot the Kahrs again to be sure, but I think I like the G43 and XDS-9s (have shot two different guns of the latter model, as well as both guns' bigger brothers).  Also shot the CZ-07 and the FNS compact (don't recall the model).  Didn't like the CZ because it had several FTFs.  The FNS was fine but not as nice as the G43 and XDS-9 in my hands.

Edit 2:  I've also been shooting with both my dominant and non-dominant hands.

I will go back and re-assess the Ruger and Sig, as well as the SCCY.

#8 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

You're going about it the right way.  I wish I'd done the same before I went through the Ruger and Bersa.

If the G43 had been available when I was looking, it would have been a strong contender for me too.

#9 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

Thanks, Matt!

It's funny to think that I've spent more money now on range time, ammo, and rentals together than I would have had I just bought one the first day.  :rolleyes:

But for my carry gun, I think it's good to be careful.  After all, that thing's gonna be riding with me a lot; just about as close to me as my skivvies.  :o   Come to think of it, I'm a lot less fussy about my Fruit-of-the-Looms... <_<

Well enough TMI.  I'm sure my home defense decision won't be nearly as difficult. :lol:

#10 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

You're welcome.

I'm sure my home defense decision won't be nearly as difficult. :lol:

I have it easy in that regard - I'm in an apartment, so I'm good just using my carry pistol for that purpose.  Though, a shotgun tends to be the most common suggestion I've heard for that purpose in a single-family house.

• Mort Youth likes this

#11 T Christopher Cox

T Christopher Cox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

I highly recommend the Sig Sauer P938.

It's on the more expensive end of the carry spectrum, and you have to be ok with carrying "cocked and locked with a round in the chamber" and using a 1911-ish battery of arms.  But, if those are drawbacks you can accept, or don't consider them drawbacks, it is a very concealable, light-weight, reliable, and accurate 9mm pistol.

I alternate carry between IWB, in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck, when I need absolutely no printing, and pocket carry, in a DeSantis Nemesis, when deep concealment isn't as important or having a thick belt and IWB holster would be inconvenient.  It fits very well in my hand, and shooting it feels like shooting a much larger pistol; the 9mm recoil is very manageable despite the pistol's small size and light weight - the aluminum frame helps with that.  Carrying a second magazine doesn't introduce any significant bulk; especially in a SneakyPeteHolsters mag carrier.

I arrived at the Sig after trying a Ruger SR40c (too large and heavy) and a Bersa Thunder CC 380 (not reliable, and heavy for its size).  I'm considering getting a small 380 for when the Sig is even too big to conceal, but haven't really needed to thus far.  It's really amazing how oblivious people are to you having a pistol concealed, even when you think you might be printing overmuch.

Best of luck in your search, Stentorian.

I'd stick with a single stack 9mm so you don't have to go with new ammo. I wish I had. Glock 19 and Glock 42. If I had it to do over....

I'm looking for an EDC firearm for concealed carry.  I want to print as little as possible.  I live in a hot climate and don't wear shorts very often, so I sweat.  Actually, everybody here sweats, even if they ARE wearing shorts.  It also rains very heavily at times.

I probably can't carry at work.  That's just something to deal with.  Whether at work or not, I wear a lot of button-down shirts that are designed to be tucked in.  On weekends, I wear shirts mostly tucked, because that keeps them from riding up over my belly and lower back. 

I mostly wear t-shirts around the house and when running errands and such, and I generally tuck them too because I think untucked shirts don't make me look casual, they make me look sloppy.

Currently, I'm looking at single-stack/compact 9mm firearms such as the Glock 43 and Springfield XDS-9.  I've shot both of them, along with dozens of other 9mm and .380 models.  I think for my EDC I want to go with a 9mm.

I want to be able to pocket-carry as an option, but I can't figure out how to empty the front pocket on my dominant side, and after all that, a 9mm might be too big for my pockets anyway.

Pocket contents:

Left (non-dominant):  Wallet, keys, car key fobs, pocket knife (sometimes), multi-tool (sometimes)

Right (dominant):  money (bills), loose change (sometimes a lot), pocket knife AND multi-tool (usually)

My back pockets are always empty because putting anything in them could exacerbate my lower back pain.

I need some ideas, both for moving stuff out of my right front pocket and for choosing a firearm that will allow me to carry concealed in either IWB or pocket.  Your thoughts?

I've used an Alien Gear Tuck 3.0 and that's been great. Pocket carry I have several options.  Also tried a deep concealment holster that rides at my crotch. Bonus, it keeps my shirt tucked in and has worked great for hazy, hot and humid in Central VA.

#12 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:51 PM

I'd stick with a single stack 9mm so you don't have to go with new ammo. I wish I had. Glock 19 and Glock 42. If I had it to do over....

Fair point; though, frankly, I've got six calibers in my collection already between rifles and pistols - adding another isn't really a downside for me.

#13 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

I don't think the 42 was ever offered in 9mm. You're thinking of the 43, the 42 is only in .380, even with hollowpoints is slightly anemic.
.40 S&W is my go-to, but 9mm at a minimum.
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#14 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

Springfield xsd is a great choice. I also like the sig saur 938. really, any single stack is a solid choice. my brother carries the ruger lc9 and loves it. 

#15 Jonny

Jonny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

I would go 9mm! Had the sig P238 in 380 and hated it! Since then I have been carrying the XDS 4.0 9mm and I love it. If you are wanting IWB and pocket carry I would look at the 3in model. I use the incog and harwell appendix holsters. I live in Texas and carry in tshirts and polo's with no issues

#16 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

Glock 26 or Glock 19 Gen 4 with a Haley Strategic Skimmer Triggers in a Onyx IWB holster. You could push it with the Sig Sauer P320 Subcompact.

#17 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hey y'all!

Back at the holidays I decided on a Springfield XDS-9.  I've since added a Crimson Trace green LaserGuard.  My shooting is good with the iron sights, but much more deadly with the laser. 

Don't know why, because nothing really changes with a laser.  Trigger control, steady stance, good posture, not jerking the gun, and so forth.  I still sight the target the same way; using the gun's iron sights (the front sight blocks the brightest/whitest part of the laser's spot on the target, but I can see the green edges of the laser).  At 20-25 feet, I'm a couple inches off of center (but closer than without the laser).  I can consistently punch out a golf ball sized hole in the targets, and I'm equally good with either hand.

I have a bladetech IWB holster (came with the laser, so it fits the gun+laser), but it's not comfortable AT ALL to carry at 4 or 5 o'clock.  I can't carry appendix or at 9 or 3, partly because I need to lose some weight and the gun/holster dig into my gut or make me too wide to sit comfortably in my car's seats.  Furthermore, I am WAY too often adjusting the weight of the gun in my pants, so right now I'm not carrying, except sometimes at home.

So I need a better (for me) holster, and it MUST accommodate the CTC Laser Guard unit.

#18 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

If you're still looking:

I've been using a Comp-Tac MTAC holster for carrying my XDs under a tucked shirt. They make laser-friendly versions.

http://www.comp-tac....ghts-or-lasers/

#19 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:34 PM

I'll throw in Crossbreed super tuck deluxe as I've been using one for the last 4 years and am very happy with it. 

#20 Justin

Justin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I am a very large person who sweats a lot. I wear shorts a lot and very thin shirts. I carry a Sig P938 in a Bullseye Holster and the print is almost non-existent and it is very comfortable. A very accurate gun for the size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users