Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

How do you organize/store your EDC items??

Organize box store knives multi tool

23 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch

Mitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:59 PM

I have been thinking lately about how to store or organize all my stuff I carry when I'm not using them. Right now I just have a small cardboard box that rests on top of my dresser and I keep EVERYTHING in it; all my multi tools, pocket knives, utility razors...it's a mess. Every time I want to look for something I have to rifle through all of it and things get scratched. How do you all organize your things? I'm sure there's a better way than how I'm doing it

#2 METH Review Channel

METH Review Channel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

Hey Mitch,

So this is an excellent question and I had the same one for years. I watched this video  and it really gave me the idea so hats off to SensiblePrepper. I have my own EDC box now, just like the one in the video and I purchased it from Harbor Freight Tools just about a year ago. It has been a wonderful investment. It keeps my EDC gear organized and semiSecure. If you want to see some images of how I have mine set up I can post some.

Have a great Day,

METHReviews

#3 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

For me, there's different levels of EDC storage. The first part of EDC storage for me is having all the things I carry DAILY at my disposal but stored safely. The solution in my case was to make a leather valet tray to keep it in (includes my Leatherman Skeletool, wallet, keychain, and watch). Then, for all the EDC stuff I don't regularly use (a knife, sunglasses, chapstick, etc) I have a wooden shoe organizer that I use for that purpose. Also, since I collect knives, I found that a file organizer holds knives very well— I put one knife in each file slot, and then the extras sit a few in each slot of the shoe organizer, and then the whole file organizer fits into one of the holes of the shoe organizer. I'll try to upload a picture soon. In your case I'd at least use a shoe organizer. If I can find a link to what I'm talking about I'll post it here

#4 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Here's something like what I have, but if you search for "shoe organizer" on Google, you'll find a bunch of options.

http://www.container...campaign=google

#5 Mitch

Mitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:22 AM

Hey Mitch,

So this is an excellent question and I had the same one for years. I watched this video  and it really gave me the idea so hats off to SensiblePrepper. I have my own EDC box now, just like the one in the video and I purchased it from Harbor Freight Tools just about a year ago. It has been a wonderful investment. It keeps my EDC gear organized and semiSecure. If you want to see some images of how I have mine set up I can post some.

Have a great Day,

METHReviews

Wow, I love that tool chest. That would be awesome to have, I had no idea that there were things like that out there. Yes, I would love to see some pics about how you have your stuff organized. I'm very open to all ideas.

For me, there's different levels of EDC storage. The first part of EDC storage for me is having all the things I carry DAILY at my disposal but stored safely. The solution in my case was to make a leather valet tray to keep it in (includes my Leatherman Skeletool, wallet, keychain, and watch). Then, for all the EDC stuff I don't regularly use (a knife, sunglasses, chapstick, etc) I have a wooden shoe organizer that I use for that purpose. Also, since I collect knives, I found that a file organizer holds knives very well— I put one knife in each file slot, and then the extras sit a few in each slot of the shoe organizer, and then the whole file organizer fits into one of the holes of the shoe organizer. I'll try to upload a picture soon. In your case I'd at least use a shoe organizer. If I can find a link to what I'm talking about I'll post it here

I like the idea of the valet tray. I have stuff that I'll put in my pockets every day like my space pen and my rite in the rain note book, but I like to use a different knife every day and sometimes a multi tool so those would have to be stored somehow. I'm not sure what you mean by a file organizer. Like an accordion folder-type thing? I would love a pic of both the shoe organizer set up you have, plus the file organizer that you're talking about.

• Mason Delpino likes this

#6 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Sure! Here ya go! I spray painted the shoe organizer, it was all white before. There's more than just those three pictures of my EDC storage setup in the Drive folder.

https://drive.google...MWc?usp=sharing

Attached Files

#7 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

The file holder thing keeps each knife available but ready to pick up and use, and the whole thing fits nicely into one of the slots of the shoe organizer.

#8 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

And the file organizer is something like this but just plastic. 

http://www.kingdamet...izer-2224-1.htm

#9 Mitch

Mitch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 PM

Sure! Here ya go! I spray painted the shoe organizer, it was all white before. There's more than just those three pictures of my EDC storage setup in the Drive folder.

https://drive.google...MWc?usp=sharing

This is a super good idea! Thanks for the pictures, I understand what you're saying now, and I've never thought about doing that before. About your leather valet tray, Did you make it? I'm sure you can buy them on the internet but yours looks cool

#10 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:57 AM

No problem! I hope that helps you. Yes, I did make it! Thank you!!

#11 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:59 AM

I can send some more pictures of the box if you'd want! Leatherworking is my hobby, it's very fun.

#12 Donny

Donny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

tackle.jpg

What do you think about something like this tackle box? I have an old one. I may try it out. Thoughts?

• John likes this

#13 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

Well, Mitch we both put it all... or almost all... on the dresser. Some of the items remain in my pockets until I change trousers out(new ones every day in summer, new ones every two days in cooler months). The pistols go into a designated drawer for the night and are donned as I get dressed for the day(I'm retired so I don't always charge out of the house to get to work).

I have used separators etc but I always go back to the scattered mess on the dresser. I seldom forget anything.

The IWB holster for the primary pistol is usually attached to the trouser belt. The holster for the BUG varies ocassionally, so it rests with the BUG in the drawer.

#14 Jerry Pruitt

Jerry Pruitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

That is a great idea, right now I am making me one out of a 15 inch tv box I will post this once I finish it. So stay tune.

#15 James A Cathcart

James A Cathcart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

I bought this wood toolbox at Harbor Freight Tools for 80.00 It's solidly built, has one large compartment on top, 5 smaller drawers and 2 larger drawers. This is where I store all of my non-EDC gear. My current EDC gear is stored in a valet.

33560885905_2b167dfffe_k.jpgGear Box by James Cathcart, on Flickr

• olmo likes this

#16 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

CD boxes for folders

CAM06178_zpsfq12gg49.jpg

20170128_092530_zpsrerpzvom.jpg

wooden boxes for MTs

CAM05122_zpsttului8t.jpg

CAM05124_zpsjfm1vvif.jpg

and plastic boxes for SAKs

CAM04464_zpsdg7xebmb.jpg

CAM04416_zpshumeiqvw.jpg

#17 olmo

olmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:39 AM

I have this same problem of organization. I will read your answers, think about it and contribute to this topic.

#18 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Perhaps I have acquired too much... I ended up buying clear storage containers from Costco (about 10" wide x 20" deep x 8" high) and labeled them (fire, navigation, water, etc.) and put everything in there. They stack, I can see what I'm after but other than changing watches everyday - my EDC is on me everyday so there's not much changing going on.

#19 olmo

olmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Glass cups to organize your toys? I liked the idea.

Attached Files

#20 CyberShadow

CyberShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

I am still new at this, and so I dont have a mountain of stuff that some of you guys have*. I have a drawer and a half for organising my EDC essentials. I picked up a set of four plastic trays, the biggest I could find at a maximum of a quarter of the drawer space, and one double sized. I break my EDC into four categories - one with regular essentials such as watch, wallet, keys, etc; one with activities such as fidget toys, deck of cards, etc; one with minimal EDC tools such as a pen, mini multi-tool, credit card tool; and a final one with the bulkier EDC tools like a pocket knife, more serious multi-tool, notebook, etc.

These four trays keep the daily items, and the double sized tray goes in a second drawer with alternatives and backups. The idea is that I can grab the entire contents of a tray when I am going out if I am in a rush, and dont need to think if I have got everything. I then swap in and out items in the redundancy tray which has things like an alternative multitool depending on my mood, or extra blades for a box cutter knife, or a second identical flashlight in case the first is broken.

* I am amused by the 'EDC spotlight' articles here mostly containing a multitool, pocket knife, pen, watch and cellphone..... and then see pictures here where people have 48 different multitools and knives. :lol:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Organize, box, store, knives, multi tool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users