#1 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

If you had to pick one do it all caliber what would it be? I know it will be a big time compromise but which bullet(s) would you chamber to be used in both self defense and hunting, along with any other uses you can think of. Of course, this round would be for both hand and long guns. This should be an easy choice, don't you think?   :lol:

• Matt likes this

#2 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

or .30-06
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#3 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:38 PM

556 BTHP

#4 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

Impossible to pick just one without context...

If cost and availability aren't a problem, hands down I'd pick:

10mm 155 grain solid copper hollow point, using my MechTech Glock carbine and G20.  Unlimited availability of reloading supplies would be a bonus.

Considering cost and availability:

For primarily urban and suburban use, 9mm - specifically Winchester Train & Defend, using my Sig P938

For primarily rural and field use, .308 - specifically something with a 168 grain hollow point, using my Ruger Scout

#5 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:14 AM

.357 Magnum. I have two revolvers and a carbine that could be used for everything from hunting to defense. I carried a revolver for many years and never felt undergunned. You could also load it down to .38 Special, but that's cheating;)

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

• Matt and KlaudeMarks like this

#7 Col Richard Brinkman

Col Richard Brinkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

44 magnum. The Ammo is available anywhere and can be easily reloaded. You can get a firearm in an EDC such as the Taurus 444 or SW 629. There are numerous SA or DBA revolvers to choose from. Semi-auto pistols such as the DE L5. You can get it in lever action rifles from Winchester or Marlin and you can convert your Ruger 10/22 to a Bullpup version if you want. So many options. It is effective against most North American game. So if this was my choice I'd have a Taurus 444 EDC, a Ruger Blackhawk revolver and a Henry Big Boy all weather rifle.

#8 TDG Nick

TDG Nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

5.56  - so many round choices now, and the versatility of the AR platform means you can have a configuration for most situations.

#9 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

I just noticed that I got a message that asked which caliber I would choose. My choice would be 9 mm. Both long and handguns can be found in this caliber. Heck even sub-machine guns are chambered for it. Grant you it wouldn't be great in a sniper rifle but every bullet is imperfect for every application.

Thanks folks for your answers and it gave me something to think about.  

#10 Col Richard Brinkman

Col Richard Brinkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

I'll still vote for the 44 mag as the best overall from EDC personal defense to hunting most big game in North America. Give me a choice and throw me out to the wilds of let's say Alaska with a 44 EDC Ruger and 44 Blackhawk revolver and a Marlin or Henry 44 rifle I know I can fend off any human or wildlife there is.

#11 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

It would be difficult to EDC in today's environment, but if all else was equal, I would carry a 12ga pump. Good for close-in defense, when properly set up can hit well with slugs at 125 yds, uses a variety of specialized ammo. You can hunt with it using slugs and a rifle sighted barrel, and barrel changes are easy so you can set the gun up with a suitably choked game barrel for bird or clay shooting as well.

This is what I would pick for a 'one gun, one caliber only' survival scenario. Not perfect, not long range, but viable for many shooting situations.

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

One year later, and I'm sticking with the .22

#13 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

I believe I'd pick 22 also.

#14 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

I believe I'd pick 22 also.

Some very good reasons to do so. The firearms themselves are light, the round is inherently accurate, it has a lesser report, you can carry 10+ to 1 over the weight of centerfire rounds. It's capable of clean kills on medium game and drops small game with ease without ruining any meat, and, although not as capable as larger calibers,  can be used as a defensive round if need be. 

#15 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Some very good reasons to do so. The firearms themselves are light, the round is inherently accurate, it has a lesser report, you can carry 10+ to 1 over the weight of centerfire rounds. It's capable of clean kills on medium game and drops small game with ease without ruining any meat, and, although not as capable as larger calibers, can be used as a defensive round if need be.

Totally agree with you. I carry a P22 from Walther on occasion, stays in my truck. Also the ammo can be bought in bulk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users