7 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:19 PM

So far I haven't gotten a lot of things for my Shield 9mm so I'm looking for advice all around.
I just got a box of Remington Hollow Points to try out this weekend, I've shot some Fiocchi rounds through it but that's it so far. 
A friend told me to avoid Steel ammo and Russian made ammo like Tul and Wolf.

I got a speed loader and grip extension for my 7 round clip (those springs really fly out fast), as well as a holster that holds a spare mag. 

Are non official S&W mags bad? I want to get more mags but not sure if I should stick to official mags or if there are some after market ones that are good.

I want to get hi viz sights, is there a particular set that are better or some I should avoid?

I am open to any suggestions and advice, if you know of something that would be good for me to get or something to avoid, please let me know. I grew up hunting and being outdoors a bit but this is my first handgun. 

#2 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:40 AM

GunMagWarehouse has great deals on Shield mags:

http://gunmagwarehou...less-steel.html

They have the 7 rounders as well, but the 8 round mags are $4 cheaper...

http://gunmagwarehou...-199350000.html

If you want to gain an extra round in each of those mags, you can replace the springs and followers, but each set costs as much as a new magazine...

http://magguts.com/s...h-wesson-shield

While I was at the range last, there was a dude that had the XS Big Dot Tritium Express sights on his Shield, he let me shoot it, it was way better than stock. I haven't put them on mine because 1) I don't want to pay for it, 2) don't have the tools (or the time).  But that being said, they're very nice. 

I think he'd done an Apex Tactical sear and trigger upgrade as well. 

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Me? I just want to target practice as is. I put all my money into ammo, and six extra magazines.

#3 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

There's nothing wrong with Tula or wolf ammo, it just means you're cleaning a bit longer...
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#4 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:49 AM

Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster or Flex OWB holster with a mag carrier.
  • KmaNick likes this

#5 KmaNick

KmaNick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:49 AM

Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster or Flex OWB holster with a mag carrier.

^ this I have both for me shield, Flex in cooler weather , Onyx or Smartcarry in the summer.

I have ameriglow sights on mine , not overly expensive and a definite improvement.

the Pearce and NDZ pinky extensions are both great 

http://www.ndzperfor...gory-s/2362.htm

I use both on the 7 and 8 round mags (I have fairly large hands)

I also have a Promag 10 round mag that some people bash , I have put about 400 rounds through it , no problems yet , I only use it at the range,

I also have a Pachmyr sleeve on mine, grip was a little on the thin side for me , now it's perfect.

I also have  the Maggutts in 2 of my mags , a 7 and an 8, no issues there either.

I have a little over 1000 rounds through mine. So far so good, it's a great little carry piece.

#6 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

A good purpose designed gun belt. It'll make carrying a weapon feel a lot lighter.   

#7 James

James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:08 AM

I have carried a Glock 19 daily for years but wanted to get a smaller "Summer" gun for shorts/t-shirts, so I got the Shield. I have carried it for 2 Summers now. I shot it for a bit with the stock grips, but found that adding the Talon grips (think like better skateboard tape), improved the guns grip while shooting as well as improved the initial grip when drawing from the holster (since the gun is rather small). The Talon has pulled away a bit after 2 Summers now, so will need replaced. I use stock mags so can't comment other that I EDC with a 7 rounder in (smaller profile) and have the 8 rounder as backup (it does stick out quite a bit on the waist). My only gripe is that I have found the mag release and a couple of the gun's pins are rusting. Remember this is a Summer gun only for me. I carry in a lowprofile leather holster with no sweat guard, so the gun rests directly against skin/sweat. Even with wiping down and good cleaning/oiling practices, I see rust that I never have on my Glocks. So, I would get a holster with a sweat guard (which is what I did).

Here's a link that I saw about Talons (and other stuff): http://www.personald...on-mp-shield-14

#8 John M Smith

John M Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

the best thing you can buy isn't for your shield.  It is training for you.  Take a CCW and defensive pistol class.

• Brendan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shield, 9mm, conceal carry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users