#1 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

We have two rifles for home defense.

My wife has an IWI X95. Trijicon MRO on an American Defense QD mount. Surefire Scout M300 Mini tac light with Surefire Remote. Geissele Super Sabra trigger. Magpul M4 QD sling. Griffin M4SDK suppressor. Her back up is a Springfield XDS Subcompact 9mm.

I have a Sig Sauer MCX. Trijicon MRO on an American Defense QD mount. Surefire Scout M600IB tac light with Surefire Remote. Geissele SSA trigger. Magpul M4 QD sling. Sig Sauer SRD 556TI QD suppressor. My backup are two Glocks and two Sigs.

#2 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

I have two as well; a Marlin lever action in .357 loaded with .38 Special 125 gr JHPs. The other is a GSG 522 MP5SD look-alike loaded with CCI Mini Mags. This may seem unusual, but living in an apartment limits the choices and my wife can put 20 rounds into an area you can cover with a silver dollar at 50 feet and there's no recoil or muzzle blast/flash.
  • Brendan likes this

#3 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

We are trying out 223 and 556 rounds of varying weights and brands. We intend to use 556 BTHP as defensive rounds.

#4 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

For home defense, you can't beat a shotgun and 00 buckshot. I prefer a Mossberg 500 but a Remington will do you too. If you live in an apartment you might want to go with a reduced load as 00 can go through dry wall. We both carry every day and have a couple handguns for back up, here's a 9 and mine's a .40. Most brands are good enough but I'm all for taking a trip to gun range that will let you try out guns until you and your spouse finds the one that fits each of you. Some folks while come along and prefer a .45 or a wheel gun, that's fine. Find what you can carry and shoot comfortably. Remember practice makes us better so go for something you can practice with, not just the latest or what some expert tells you need.

#5 jacksbuddy

jacksbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

For home defense, we have a cute little snub-nose 38.  (The wife will not touch a long gun, and this cute little thing is loud enough to wake the neighbors in the next block.)  Apparently, cute is important to my bride.  I would prefer she use my Mossberg 500 with bird shot.  It too is very loud, chambering a shell is quite intimidating, and with bird shot, there's less risk of projectiles going through drywall.

#6 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

Recently added a Barrett Rec7 Gen II Keymod Piston 556 rifle to our rifle inventory.

#7 Jonny

Jonny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:40 PM

I have my 30-30 marlin for a long gun and XD service 40 for my pistol when things go bump in the night.

#8 James

James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Not trying to change your mind...I have a rifle (SBR) and am rather proficient with it, but prefer a handgun as my first-line, bump in the night, home firearm. Many "professionals" also prefer handguns for first-line, in-home defense (basic list of those who do): https://thefiringlin...ad.php?t=549963

Regarding shotgun vs rifle:

- Shotgun: no professional recommends any "shot" less than a #4 for defense against the human animal. As you increase in pellet size, you increase (potential) leathality, but also increase (real) interior/exterior wall penetration. Some who's opinion I like recommend #1 shot as the ideal (see below link). It is hard to find so most default to 00. Make sure you know your shot pattern regardless. Evaluate your interior lanes of fire (and what is hidden behind a wall behind them) and then watch a few videos on youtube re drywall penetration of 00...

- Most folks who shoot inside of structures - in a team environment - for a living use .223/5.56 do to lethality and to some extent less wall penetration vs pistol/shotgun rounds. This list is kind of the bible, if you will, of suggested ammo across all the platforms: https://www.ar15.com...fense_Ammo_FAQ/  Having said that, this is a great read regarding real-world shooting data for rounds. http://www.activeres...-stopping-power

Of course, at the end of the day the best round is the one that your can actually find/buy, functions in your firearm 100% of the time and that you are most accurate with ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users