#1 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

I recently received the Lever Gear Toolcard in the mail having participated in their Kickstarter campaign.  While I have not had the opportunity to put it through all the paces, I like what I have seen so far.  I was curious if anyone else owns one.

http://levergear.com/

I was looking for a slim, card shaped (I removed the clip, which is easily done), well made,TSA safe, multi tool and this seems to be it.

I made the mistake of getting the Zootility WildCard earlier in the year (also on their Kickstarter campaign) and that has sat in my drawer after a short while of using it, I was truly unhappy with that tool.  I feel like that product was more gimmicky, while this Lever Gear Toolcard is a truly functional, card shaped multi tool. 

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#2 ElGiganteJake

ElGiganteJake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

Just got mine in the mail.  I'm impressed so far.

#3 Jeffrey Guerzon

Jeffrey Guerzon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

I had mine at late September and I had used it as a wallet, a screwdriver, can opener, wrench, ruler and i find it very sturdy.

I am very happy with it.

#4 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

If anyone has an interest in obtaining one of these the company is running a one year anniversary deal on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.c...MDRRG8D63JTEJKK

I am a big fan of this tool card, it is my go to TSA compliant tool for air travel, I keep one in my kid's hockey bag, it is extremely well made.

The deal is for the card without the money clip but I removed mine as soon as I got it as I am always seeking as little bulk as possible.  You can carry this in your pocket and completely forget its there.

https://levergear.com/

From an e-mail they sent out this morning:

"This week marks both the one year anniversary of our Kickstarter launch and our official kick-off as sellers on Amazon. To celebrate these big milestones for our small business, we're having a one-time Amazon flash sale on silver cards (no money clip) starting today!

Now 'til Saturday, get a silver

Toolcard on Amazon for just $20!"

#5 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Awesome, I'll check it out.

There are so many wallet card multi-tools though at a fraction of the price. It's hard to tell which is the better.

The Ranger Gear Card is $6

SurvivalMulti-tool1_1024x1024.jpeg?v=145

The PocketMonkey for $12

zootility_web_pmdlx_centered_1_001ee205-

The Wallet Ninja for $6

NINJA-front_grande.jpg?v=1477492746

For $19 what makes it better than the rest? Not making fun of the product as I'm truly interested, but I have the 3 and like 5 others on a list that I've been debating on which to choose.

#6 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

It's lighter than the others, except for the pocket monkey (same weight). If you actually carrying it on your wallet and you like slim wallets, I guess those 0,6 ounces count. It also has lots of wrench sizes, if thats your thing, and a nail puller. 

If you're into money clips its a great option, I though about using it in a slim wallet so I could carry money on the outside.

Besides, looks cooler than the others, imo.

EDC

#7 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

I agree it looks so much better with a great tool set.

My current wallet is from FNDN Detroit so it will go in one of the outer slots. An AMAZING wallet btw.

BLUE_WALLET_SIDE1_large.png?v=1449708241

With an average of 8 cards in my wallet it's not heavy at all, so I doubt the Lever or any tool card will add significant weight, though something definitely to consider.

I'm more concerned with thickness. What would you compare the thickness to? One credit card? Two credits cards?

#8 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

I've had those in the past and have never found them to be all that useful. Have you ever tried tightening or loosening anything with them? Opening a can? Reflecting light to signal? Heck, just trying to cut cord to build a shelter is an adventure. They do open a bottle pretty well though, so I guess they're not completely useless.

#9 Dydimus

Dydimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

They do open a bottle pretty well though, so I guess they're not completely useless.

But then again, why the heck would you pull a card out of your wallet for a bottle opener if you can have a better one on your keychain?

I kinda agree with you, the multitool card is something that looks good on paper but is quite unpractical. I have one on my EDC pouch though, that I use to wrap some duct tape.

• John likes this

EDC

#10 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

I think you have to take them for what they are, a relatively inexpensive, TSA compliant, multi tool that takes up minimal space and adds virtually no weight. You are not undertaking a project with one of these things, you are tightening or loosening screws, prying something, etc. I always fly with one and have passed one around at my kids hockey games countless times for parents needing to make minor helmet repairs. I have a Gerber Shard but rather than giving someone my keys, I just toss them the Lever Card.
  • Dydimus likes this

#11 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

I agree it looks so much better with a great tool set.

My current wallet is from FNDN Detroit so it will go in one of the outer slots. An AMAZING wallet btw.

BLUE_WALLET_SIDE1_large.png?v=1449708241

With an average of 8 cards in my wallet it's not heavy at all, so I doubt the Lever or any tool card will add significant weight, though something definitely to consider.

I'm more concerned with thickness. What would you compare the thickness to? One credit card? Two credits cards?

One credit card

#12 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

I recently had to take apart a bed frame at a new house and had virtually no tools at my disposal.  The bolts were tight and the metal was pretty soft.  I used my Lever Gear and I was impressed with how much force I was able to exert on it without damaging it all.  As discussed, being a card, it it is not particularly comfortable, particularly if you are using anything beyond a moderate amount of force, but with a pair of work gloves on I was able to get the job done and loosen some very stubborn bolts.

#13 s.e. charles

s.e. charles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

I just went to the links above. from the Amazon page(s), are 90% of these tools the same ones at different prices? or am I really that un-observant?

• coldwater likes this

#14 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

I just went to the links above. from the Amazon page(s), are 90% of these tools the same ones at different prices? or am I really that un-observant?

I'm a pretty vocal about not being a fan of these pocket toys designed to remove money from your pocket and replace it with crap. There is only so much you can get out of a flat piece of metal you carry in a pocket, and that's about the truth of it. I have taken more screws out or tightened them with pocket change than I can count, and as an added bonus, got to keep the dime or quarter after the job was done. I use my always on me wedding ring to pop bottle tops when needed, and I rarely come across the off 3/32 or 1/4" nut that needs to be emergency tightened, let alone something under 2.5" that has to be measured. I generally see these items as PT barnum would have. There's a sucker born every minute. 

#15 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Definitely not a tool I use that often but do travel with it. I like the fact that it’s TSA compliant. Even a multi-tool with no blade sometimes causes TSA to pull it it out just to check.

#16 s.e. charles

s.e. charles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

.... There's a sucker born every minute. 

now ... along these same lines ... does anyone have an opinion on this company:  https://spyescapeand...n.com/spystore/  ???

I hate to start a new thread since, well, he does offer a card of sorts and a bunch of other stuff. I just came across one of his books and the information seems pretty succinct which in itself makes it easy to grasp.

thanks

(and I couldn't get out of this quote box, so I probably don't have much hope escaping and evading anyway ....)

#17 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

.... There's a sucker born every minute. 

now ... along these same lines ... does anyone have an opinion on this company:  https://spyescapeand...n.com/spystore/  ???

I hate to start a new thread since, well, he does offer a card of sorts and a bunch of other stuff. I just came across one of his books and the information seems pretty succinct which in itself makes it easy to grasp.

thanks

(and I couldn't get out of this quote box, so I probably don't have much hope escaping and evading anyway ....)

I don't see anything new exciting or particularly interesting there. I have a hunch that we may well be on the back side of a cottage market that ignited from the spark of a government that was proven to be untrustworthy and borderline oppressive. The economy in shambles, people out of work by the millions, crime at an explosive high, and war looming over us like a cloak of night.

We were being told by an equally corrupt media that we were no good as a people on a daily basis, and there was nothing good on the horizon.

Nothing there says" everything will be OK", and the collective survival instincts of a nation kicked in. The bloom of peppers survivalists and full bore nut cases came out of the trees and an entire industry of, some useful, mostly gimmicky junk products hit the market overnight.

Things have calmed to some extent, and indications are that it will get better as time goes, provided we stay on the current path. When a climate of fear passes, this market of spy / anti government / everyone is out to get you products  is likely to pass with it. 

A lot of this stuff is "fun", a pastime to amuse yourself with secret agent gadgets with super bad ass names, but in the real world, it's of little use to most Americans.

Toys and trinkets have become like opium to many, and there are people so driven by marketing that all one needs to do is come up with a dangerous black ops special forces name, and it will sell instantly, regardless of quality or actual usefulness. 

My training, many years ago, taught me risk assessment and reaction. This makes me a marketers nightmare, because I see no value in 99% of the toys being put up for grabs on a nearly daily basis. 

I have no fear of being kidnapped by the corrupt police waiting behind every bush to illegally arrest me! 

I have no fear that the economy will instantly vaporize leaving me without a dime, homeless and hungry, forcing me to run out the door in an instant with my survival bag to fend off zombies and live in the forrest in isolation. 

And I have no fear that hordes of starving people will be marauding the streets raping and pillaging for food.

However!  I do in fact believe in a mindset of preparedness. I am fully aware of the constant,  potential threat of violent crime from the odd scoundrel seeking the next victim, and am fully prepared to meet that threat in, and out of home. 

I also believe in the possibility of circumstance beyond the normal daily routine. Breakdowns, injury,  getting your feet wet on a winters day and facing frost bite, or being stuck in traffic and being bored and hungry or thirsty. 

So, I do believe in EDC and being ready to meet most reasonable daily scenarios that may pop up. I absolutely have not one, but several different go bags set up. made to specific seasons, and a couple different EDC bags made to meet those same seasonal challenges. In fact, as I type this, the temp outside is -6 with a wind chill of - 18. Going out unprepared for this weather is simply ignorant, so I do indeed embrace the EDC, being prepared lifestyle. I just choose to keep away from the world of tinfoil hats and spy gear. I like my money in the bank better. 

#18 s.e. charles

s.e. charles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

aha! i  knew it. you're one of those "I trust the bank" guys, eh?  hmmm....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users