#1 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

I have always struggled with the seasonal change from a jacket with pockets to the summer with... less pockets. So this year I re-discovered wearing vests. Not the mesh and many pocket hiker or walk about vests but real waist coat type deal. I pick them up at the Goodwill places and must say it has been a much more organized summer for my EDC. And no more being asked ... "Is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"
So who else is a vest/waste coat fan?

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#2 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

A few years back I had a Filson Cuiser vest - canvas and wool. Very tough and warm without looking "tactical". It had enough pockets it not too many. I picked it up at an estate sale for $20 (I guess these are/were over $100 retail). Before we moved to the South, where warm clothes are needed two weeks a year, I passed it on to a young man in our church who always liked and commented on it. It will probably be passed to one of his kids.
  • Andrew Cohen and John L Coulter like this

#3 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

Oh man That is a very very cool line of vest they have.... around 150 Us now it seems but I am certainly going to consider one or two. Thanks for the lead.

• John likes this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#4 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:18 AM

You bet. Been wearing them since my hippy days when I was a lot younger. Goodwill and Salvation Army are good places to start. Then there is Pendelton (in the fall and winter), Columbia, Orvis, J. Peterman (Check out the Last Chance stuff first.),  Low to high here. I can't touch the last few unless they're on sale

• John L Coulter likes this

#5 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

Just got 2 more nice ones in grey and brown from Variety Village (a goodwill type place) and these have 4 pockets! 7 bucks each.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#6 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

I wear my ScottEVest QUEST Vest unless it's a heatwave. 43 pockets, cabling channels, weight distribution - wonderful. Pockets big enough to hold a tablet, clear touch sensitive pocket to use your phone without removing it - all good stuff. Used it last year as my entire carry-on (and I carry a LOT of stuff).

• John likes this

#7 John L Coulter

John L Coulter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:23 AM

I am a vest wearer as well. Vests are a unappreciated and under rated piece of clothing. Many of the vests I wear are by the same folks mentioned above so no need in repeating it. One of my favorite vests though is a WWII British Army Ammunition Jerkin/Vest. It is a deep brown and heavy but supple leather. You can find reproductions today. Aero use to carry them and they are not listed online, so you have to call them. You have to call I believe. I would advise you guys to try one out.

J

#8 Mr_Garth

Mr_Garth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

^
J, thanks for the hint! Must search for those.
I do wear vests as well. Outdoor vests, three piece suits but also cycling jerseys for non-bike related functions - dig the pack pocket that swallows thin items nicely

Tilley's Vest Of Many Pockets is the one I've benn hankering after for years but not taken the plunge, yet

-Garth
  • John L Coulter likes this

#9 Ava Barnes

Ava Barnes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:45 AM

I got a Golder Brown one for my Pirate look last Halloween. It was Mary Read Pirate Vest from Museum Replicas Ltd. I often pair it with my other outfits and it looks quite well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users