victorinox knives edc

14 replies to this topic

#1 Andreja

Andreja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

Hey guys, I'm really into Victorinox, so I would like to hear what you think is the best, medium size EDC Victorinox knife? I'm thinking between Spartan and Climber. They are both good knives, with same functions, but Climber has additional scissors, that I found very useful on my Classic SD. Basically, since I have scissors on my SD, should I buy thicker Climber or thinner Spartan?  :)

#2 Garrett

Garrett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Personally I would get the Tinker if I wanted that size range or the super Tinker depending if I wanted scissors. I just would find a Phillips screwdriver immensely more useful than a corkscrew. 

More on topic of your question, if you plan on replacing the Classic SD go with the Climber and if you are getting something to compliment the Classic SD get the Spartan in my opinion.

#3 Andreja

Andreja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

Personally I would get the Tinker if I wanted that size range or the super Tinker depending if I wanted scissors. I just would find a Phillips screwdriver immensely more useful than a corkscrew. 

More on topic of your question, if you plan on replacing the Classic SD go with the Climber and if you are getting something to compliment the Classic SD get the Spartan in my opinion.

Yes, I am looking for my main blade, but I will use my SD as backup knife on my keychain. I didn't even pay attention to Super Tinker, but now he's definitely in the game. Thanks for advice!  :)

#4 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

I use scissors a lot, so they are a must on any Vic I carry. That said my choice would be a Super Tinker to get as many tools in the smallest SAK available. Without going to customs this one is hard to beat.

#5 Andreja

Andreja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:18 PM

I use scissors a lot, so they are a must on any Vic I carry. That said my choice would be a Super Tinker to get as many tools in the smallest SAK available. Without going to customs this one is hard to beat.

Yes, I agree with you that Super Thinker is probably the best SAK for that size, but still it's thick. But since I've got scissors on my SD which I use 4-5 times a day and they've done their job great, I think that I'm going to go with only necessary functions. Spartan is currently my first option. 

• John likes this

#6 Darren Tong

Darren Tong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

I would like to add another suggestion. If you dont mind a larger (not thicker) option, take a look at the One hand trekker

#7 Andreja

Andreja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

I would like to add another suggestion. If you dont mind a larger (not thicker) option, take a look at the One hand trekker

My dad is using One Hand Trekker as offical work knife. It's a bit larger and he's been carrying it on his duty belt. I'm looking for something more pocket friendly. But, overall great knife. 

• Naddy Saad likes this

#8 Dan

Dan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

I've carried the Vicorinox Tinker for over 5 years now as my backup knife. It will be quite hefty compared to the Classic SD.

#9 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:28 PM

All of them. Get all of them. Seriously.

Most often I use a Spartan or a Cadet. If I have a good idea that food will be involved, always a standard model as they mostly have the toothpick. 

• John likes this

#10 Craig Kroeze

Craig Kroeze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Really late to the game on this post, but if anyone is still reading or finds this thread in the future might I humbly recommend the Victorinox Compact. I think you'll find it has just about everything you're looking for and in the smallest package available!

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

I carry the Alox Cadet, it's nice and thin and if you put a suspension clip on the knife it pocket carries great.

#12 KlaudeMarks

KlaudeMarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I looked at the tinker for awhile, but set on the alox pioneer and love it. Didn't need some of the tools on the tinker, and I didn't see a need for the file on the cadet. Surprisingly I have used the awl quite a bit on the pioneer.

Traveling East

#13 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

No love  for the compact?

#14 Raf

Raf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

I bought my Huntsman more than 15 years ago. Back then I knew nothing about edc. I just wanted to have MacGyver's knife since I was a kid, and this was nice, affordable option. Two blades, scissors, openers/flat screwdrivers... It all makes it nice every day knife for me. Wood saw and hook are the only tools that I practically never used.
  • Moose likes this

#15 Moose

Moose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

My personal edc SAK is a Wenger Evo ST17.  Basically a compact Huntsman minus the small blade (Wenger= 85mm vs Vic= 91mm length). 

Had it several years now and is so handy (and has the sweeet clipped main blade) but is just too chunky to live in my pocket, residing in a pouch on my belt.

I think the Huntsman is the best all-round Victorinox SAK but like the Wenger, not best for pocket carry imho. Hence mentioning the Victoriinox Compact earlier.  I also suggest the new Vic Pioneer X for a slender, sturdy edc that has scissors...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: victorinox, knives, edc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users