EDC Pants?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

Looking for some pants similar to that of the TAD Intercept DC Pant (http://store.triplea...tercept-DC-Pant) but more on the less expensive side. I want to avoid any cargo pockets, but smaller hidden pockets or less noticeable pockets are acceptable. I would go with a standard pair of jeans but besides missing an extra pocket or two, they don't have the flexibility of most "tactical" pants. Let me know what y'all recommend.

#2 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Must admit I have never thought of "EDC" or "Tactical" pants before. My blue jeans are about as tactical as I get. However, if you google tactical pants you get over 7 million hits, including pants that start around twenty bucks. If you look at Duluth Trading company they have some good pants that flex and are designed for tradesmen. Not cheap really, but robust.

#3 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

I own a couple of pairs of the Prana Stretch Zion pants and have been very happy with them, they have great flexibility and are extremely comfortable.  

They are not a cold weather pant and I wish the back pocket had a sealed closure but I get a lot of use out of these.  They are my go to pant for air travel.

http://www.prana.com...CFZRahgodoSAOeQ

#4 JD

JD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:55 AM

For EDC I only wear my jeans. It keeps you under the radar so no one knows you're carrying. Main reason I got my concealed. For range days or other reasons to wear tactical pants I like the 5.11 pants. I wear the taclite pros for work. They are tough and comfortable. Tru-spec is making a name for them self recently in LE. I'm not a fan of propper but they have a lot of offer too.

#5 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Does anyone own the Apex Pant from 5.11?
http://www.511tactic.../apex-pant.html
I just watched a review of them on Gideons Tactical and liked what I saw, I was thinking of giving them a try.
http://youtu.be/Jd723kq0S9A?a

#6 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:26 PM

I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Apex Pant from 5.11 and had the chance to wear them over the past weekend.  

These are a fantastic pair of pants.  I spend a lot of time in Prana's Stretch Zion pants and these are kind of a ratcheted up version of those.  They have the comfort and flexibility of the Stretch Zion but are a tougher, Teflon coated material and are mid-weight vs. the Zion's lighter weight.  The pocket's designs and layout give you more options as well.  It gives you cargo pants storage space without the bulk of pockets sewn on the outside.

The link to the Gideon's Tactical review in my last post does a good job of reviewing them.

They are true to size, however, given the that the the material has a slight stretch I likely will go perhaps one size smaller when I order another pair.  

#7 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:28 AM

511's every day. They have a pocket or slot for all my EDC gear and I carry quite a bit from what I have seen on this and other forums.

#8 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

511's every day. They have a pocket or slot for all my EDC gear and I carry quite a bit from what I have seen on this and other forums.

I completely agree, I am wearing mine every weekend and ordering another pair, they are great pants.

#9 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Ok, so I've spent probably five years looking for EDC pants.  I never buy any because I always find a flaw.  I have, for most of my life been a jeans guy, but I'm kind of getting tired of that.  I wear slacks to the office, by choice, as there's no actual dress code.  I do like traditional khakis quite a bit (not Dockers which I abhor), and I've been quite the Eddie Bauer shopper for the last couple of years so I've tried some of their different pants.  They have a new line out I'm eager to try.  Regarding traditional khakis or chinos I really don't want to stain them up.  I stood up at a desk one day wearing some, and the Leatherman Style PS in my pocket caught the desk while standing up and some brown stain from the desk's finish permanently stained my favorite khakis.  Sad.  I've also had to do a pre employment drug screen and while sitting in the lab's waiting room I apparently sat in something dry but brown and upon getting home I looked like I'd code browned myself.  Awkward.  

Having said all that, 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants were ok with me for a short time.  The quality control and sizing is grossly inconsistent, and I now hate them.  Like a lot.  Period.  I have one remaining pair, and I could probably put a Christmas ham in the seat while I'm wearing them and only bought them to replace some pairs I sold on Ebay when I went to a spontaneous combat shoot.  I have some 5.11 Strike pants which aren't bad, but they became short with washings, and they're a more of a "gray" tan or khaki color.  I also don't care much for the front pockets.  I spent some time wearing Proper's 5.11 knock offs, and, other than price, they're worse than 5.11 albeit perhaps slightly more consistent.  I think mine were green.  The tan ones were reeaalllllllly shiny.  

Columbia makes some pretty good hiking pants.  They look goofy and are impractical for anything else.   

I've recently found Kuhl.  Never knew about the brand whatsoever.  I haven't bought a pair having spent considerable time looking at pictures of people wearing them and reading reviews.  They seem like cool pants, but they're really snug around the front pockets and fly in most people's pictures.  I have pants that make even my Streamlight Microstream rub my leg excessively, and I'm afraid the Kuhls would too.  Nonetheless, Kuhl looks cool, has some cool colors, and cool designs.  They seem like quality pants, and I'd be more apt to wear those in my spare time.  They're practical and apparently in for the tactically elite.  I happen to live in an area where the outdoor brands are probably as popular if not more so than the "name brands of style" so the Kuhls would actually blend in well perhaps even more so than jeans sometimes should I embrace the Mr. Grayman mentality.  

#10 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

5.11 just came out with their version of blue jeans... I'm DEFINITELY picking up a pair as soon as the straight cut is out (right now only the slim are available).

(They say out of stock online, but if you happen to be close to one of their retail locations, most of them have the new jeans in stock)

Link:

http://www.511tactic...aight-jean.html

#11 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

http://vertx.com

These guys are your answer, I find there gear to be very solid and have zero complaints. I will say I preferred their earlier models of pants but the new ones are good too, it's just my preference.

#12 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

http://vertx.com

These guys are your answer, I find there gear to be very solid and have zero complaints. I will say I preferred their earlier models of pants but the new ones are good too, it's just my preference.

Do you have any experience with the Phantom LT 2.0?

I'm thinking of getting a pair for an upcoming excursion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users