12 replies to this topic

#1 The Mighty Pen

The Mighty Pen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi all:

I've never used a fountain pen in my life, but as a writer by trade, I'm still refining my EDC notebook/pen to that "sweet spot" that I like to use, but also remains practical enough to "pocket and forget." I'm intrigued by fountain pens, but I'm not convinced they're for me.

Thing is, I want a pants-only EDC. I can and do carry stuff in a jacket pocket, but that's only when the weather demands it, so I have to be able to comfortably stuff things into my jeans or cargo shorts the rest of the year. That means a back-pocket friendly pen. Right now, I have the telescoping Zebra ballpoint, which is fine, but I'm open to something better. Still, I can't get over the fear that a fountain pen in my back pocket will eventually leak. When/if that happens, it's bound to make a mess not just of the pants I'm wearing, but whatever it is I'm sitting on.

Do any of you carry a fountain pen in your back pockets? Has it ever leaked?

#2 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

I have carried fountain pens for a while now, My first was a Lamy safari. I carried a few of those for months, I have never had one spill or leak. In recent I have carried a kaweco Al sport, i can't recommend it enough. It is so small but posts into a full size pen. I also have not had it leak at all. I work in construction so the pen gets hot and cold in my pocket without any issues. very happy with it.

Although I have not used the liliput it is very similar, super small and extremely pocketable, however it is a little more expensive. 

#3 Adam Morris

Adam Morris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:15 AM

Like the other fountain pen users I wouldn't trust one in my back pocket, not least because I prefer solid metal pens and they would hurt me...

The three I would recommend from my own collection are all metal bodied, and have survived so far are... the levenger l-tech 3.0. it is a solidly built pen, and can double as a stylus. The Ohto dude, is a more lightweight aluminium pen. Finally the Platinum Plaisir, this is an aluminium bodied version of the platinum preppy.

The lamy al-star is also decent and I have heard very good things of the worther compact fountain pen.

#4 Luc Harvey

Luc Harvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

The best one that you can have for this is the Kaweco Al-Sport Stonewash....it's been in my pockets for a few months now.  Since it's already wear, you don't have to worry about it getting more scratched.  I have a few of them and the Medium size is really my favorite.  I have the Raw aluminium also and it's the same thing, very hard so it won't break in your back pocket (I will not put the plastic one in any front or back pocket).

#5 Rafael

Rafael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:27 AM

I swear by my Kaweco AC Sport. I've been carrying it in my front pocket for about 4 years now and never had a problem. Have taken it everywhere. It writes lovely. Better than some more expensive pens I own. I also have a couple of Kaweco Ice Sports (same design, but plastic), you can't beat those for the price.

Only problem I have is that I recently handed it to my girlfriend when she needed to write something in a hurry and now she doesn't want to give it back. I even offered to buy her a new Montblanc Boheme but no, she wants my Kaweco (and I don't want to part with it). The AC Sport is aluminum with carbon fiber, the aluminum is painted so it It scratches a bit being in your pocket which, over time, gives it a really cool and personal look, like a nice pair of jeans. Kaweco has even started to offer the aluminum line with the "stonewashed" look brand new.

Here's a pic of a Kaweco AL Stonewashed.Attached File  image.jpeg   35.1KB   0 downloads

#6 Luc Harvey

Luc Harvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:41 PM

Rafeal, this is exactly what i was saying.  There is also the price question, AC cost a lot more then AL Stonewashed

• Rafael likes this

#7 Rafael

Rafael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

This might be begging the obvious, but why not just get her her own Kaweco?  I mean, since those are obviously what she likes.  Heck, if you can afford a Boheme, you could buy her one AC Sport in each of the four colors and have some money left for a nice dinner.  :)

...or does the appeal to her lie in the fact that she parted you from that particular one?  If that's the case, you might wanna carry a Bic Stic or two with you for just that purpose... :ph34r:

I even offered that... She liked the fact that it meant something for me more than anything. I still don't feel comfortable for letting her keep it but... we broke up recently.

The good news is that she had never used a fountain pen before and absolutely loves that pen. She is going through ink cartridges and small notebooks like crazy. She even offered to give it back a couple of days ago feeling guilty that she took it and asking me were to buy one(we still talk). I declined, a gift is a gift.

She carries it everywhere, which is the point of and EDC pen.

So my best recommendation for en EDC fountain pen is the Kaweco.

Especially the Sport (gold coloured steel nib), Skyline (silver coloured steel nib) and Ice Sport (translucent color body and silver steel nib). 

Their price range is en the $20 -$25. Only difference between them and the AC or AL is that they are plastic, but perform excellent.

#8 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

I second Kaweco. I carry a Liliput with me, as it's tiny and the cap is threaded, so less likely to leak.

#9 Hik

Hik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

I love my 3 Lamy Safaris and highly recommend them.

#10 Joseph Coulam

Joseph Coulam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

I carry a few fountain pens, but I don't personally carry any pen in my back pocket and trust it not to leak.  Aside from the easy breakage factor with pens and back pockets, there's the safety factor too.  Whatever you carry in your back pocket can (and usually will) get stuck somewhere uncomfortable if you land on it hard enough.

With that out of the way, I'd suggest getting something a)compact, and b)metal.

I like Kaweco pens.  I have a Kaweco Classic Sport fountain pen that I've been using daily for about a year, and it hasn't leaked on me yet.  The Sport series have threaded caps, so that offers a little more protection against leakage.  I've carried it in shirt pockets and front trouser pockets, but never back.  It's a good size for pocket carry, but it's plastic, so not ideal for back pocket.  Kaweco do make the Sport pens in aluminum and brass, which might be better choices for back-pocket carry.

Better still might be the Kaweco Liliput series.  Those are bullet-shaped fountain pens with threaded caps, which are made of aluminum, copper, brass, and stainless steel.  There was a gentleman around here who went by "Stupendous Walrus", and he had a Liliput that he swore by.

If you're not entirely worried about the compact form factor, I'm told Karas Kustoms make some truly bad-assed fountain pens, which you can customize to some extent.  Forum moderator Ed Jelley has said that he owns several Karas fountain pens, and they do take EDC abuse.

(Apologies for the verbosity...  I'm a little opinionated.  Hope this helps!)

I really like the options by Mudkicker bikes. The Kaweco pens are great and compact, easy to carry. I would however recommend the Kaweco AL Sport fountain pen. It is a bit more than the Kaweco classic but the pen is made of aluminum rather than the plastic Kaweco Classic sport. The Kaweco Liliput is also small and compact and is made of metal. Kaweco also just came out with a new pen slightly larger than the Liliput called the Supra that has an extension that can be removed for easier carried or added to the pen for desk use.

#11 Lee

Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

I have a Lamy Safari Umbro, which is the matt charcoal body with black nib. Looks stealthy. Its also made from the same plastic as lego bricks so can take a beating. Writes so well too.

#12 ElGiganteJake

ElGiganteJake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:06 AM

I don't have a job/commute where things tend to get broken in my pocket that often.  For a fountain pen I usually carry a Pilot Metro

#13 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

I only write with fountain pens or automatic pencils - favorite pen at the moment is my TWSBI Diamond 580 Demonstrator (clear body). That said - EDC is a different workld - so my choice for something to rely on in tough times is just a fisher space bullet (black with clip) - that's my only exception to my fountain pen rule. Besides, Rite in the rain books don't like fountain pens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users