Update on Firearms?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Walker

Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

I hate to flog a dead horse, but here it goes...

Was a decision ever made as a result of the poll and conversations in this post? http://forum.everyda...irearm-content/

That topic is now locked, otherwise I would have just responded there. I'm also new to this site and wasn't around when this poll happened.

In my highly un-scientific review, I found 3 submissions that included a firearm and were selected as 'Staff Picks' in the last 450 Staff Picks on the home page. There were a few other posts by the EDC staff (not user submissions) that included firearms or firearm related accessories but I didn't include those. This means that user submitted Staff Picks include firearms 0.7% of the time. In reviewing all user submissions, I found that 11% of all submissions included a firearm.

Some of the comments in the linked post above stated that Everyday Carry is a global website and many countries don't have the option to EDC a firearm. But there is clearly a disconnect with the selection of the staff picks including a firearm compared to the average user of this site (global or otherwise). Of the 3 Staff Picks that I found, one of them was posted by a 'Special Agent' and another by a 'US Army Officer'. The 3rd was a 'Business Owner'.  So even when Staff Picks include firearms, they tend to be safe options (in my opinion) where the person carrying is either military or police which could be construed as more socially acceptable for them to be carrying a firearm in the first place. This could just be coincidence but was worth calling it out.

Lastly, the main reason I noticed this in the first place is that I've submitted 4 daily carries myself. Two of them included a firearm and two of them didn't.  Of the two that didn't, they were selected as Staff Picks but the other two weren't.  Again, could be coincidence.

Long story short, did the Admins ever decide on a direction to take as it relates to firearms? I'm probably fine either way and simply want to know. I personally would like to see more content as it relates to the daily carry of firearms (not firearms in general) from users and the staff. Most firearm websites devolve into politics, bickering, and arguing. There isn't really an avenue or desire for that on this site and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. The focus is on the the gear we carry and not why we choose to carry what we do. 

Keep up the good work.

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

The kind powers that host us have indeed allowed a firearms section, and it is used by several of us. You'll find it here

http://forum.everyda...um/28-firearms/

#3 Walker

Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

The kind powers that host us have indeed allowed a firearms section, and it is used by several of us. You'll find it here

http://forum.everyda...um/28-firearms/

I am aware of the forum but that's not what I was getting at. The poll was specifically about firearm content on the homepage, featured posts, etc. My question still stands.

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

If you feel slighted in any way, contacting an admin will clear it up. I'm sure there is no particular reason one is picked over another. 

#5 Walker

Walker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

If you feel slighted in any way, contacting an admin will clear it up. I'm sure there is no particular reason one is picked over another. 

That's not what I intended to communicate, though I could see how you'd receive it that way. I was just pointing out that the admins/staff still seem firearm averse, not in their personal belief necessarily, but in how they manage the site content (not the forums which are generally user driven as far as content). I don't feel slighted in the least, rather I'm flattered that a couple of my submissions were featured by the site. My question still stands. If an admin would like to chime in regarding what was decided after the poll was taken, I'd like to hear it. Or if anyone has any further thoughts on the topic, fire away.

Also, if you're going to focus on any portion of my initial post, then focus on the last paragraph, as ultimately that's what I was getting at in a long-winded way.

If no one cares, that's fine too.

• Dm likes this

#6 Dm

Dm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

just pointing out that the admins/staff still seem firearm averse, not in their personal belief necessarily, but in how they manage the site content (not the forums which are generally user driven as far as content)

I agree, I cant add the Shield 9mm to my colection, and the Glock 17 doesnt even have a product page. This is quite strange for two of the most popular handguns in existence.

#7 Stentorian

Stentorian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Maybe there should be a filter for "include weapons", and subfilters for firearms and non-firearm weapons (taser-type, pocket knife, billy club, etc.). 

Or maybe there could be a "Members Picks" category to go along with "Staff Picks"?  Or maybe a "Members' Picks by Country of Origin" category, so that we'll know what people like from different parts of the world.

Since I am allowed to carry weapons in my state (I have a concealed carry permit, which in my state actually includes more than just firearms), I would very much like to see what people here find useful. 

In the UK, for example, no weapons are allowed.  Defending yourself with a stick found on the side of the road could land you in prison for a few years, or at least so my reading of the UK Daily Mail has informed me.  It stands to reason that a law-abiding citizen in the UK will have an EDC that is much less useful/helpful to me.

I love my friends across the pond, but when it comes to EDC...well, I'd like the option to filter out some other countries' favorites in my EDC results.

This will also make purchase decisions much easier, faster, and more efficient for me, and I'd guess that this site derives the great majority of its funding indirectly from advertisement to shoppers such as myself, yes?  B)

• Matt likes this

#8 TDG Nick

TDG Nick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Try giving the Gun Stop a call: they'll have some people they can refer you to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users