18 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:15 AM

So far, I have changed my Glock factory sights to Glock Night Sights and added a tungsten guide rod to my G19 Gen 4 and G26 Gen 4 as well as adding a grip plug. I have changed the factory sights to factory night sights on my Sig Sauer P320 Compact and P320 Subcompact. Planning on having some trigger work done on my firearms as well.
  • Larrysog likes this

#2 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

While picking up my Sig Sauer P320 Compact, the gunsmith installed the Glock Night Sights in my G19 Gen 4 and in my G26 Gen 4. Can't wait to try them out. Tomorrow, going to another gunsmith to have the Sig Sauer contrast sights replaced with the factory night sights. The first gunsmith had the necessary Sig tools on backorder.

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:32 AM

Let me know how you like shooting with the night sights. I have them on only one of my  Kimber Raptors. I find them to be very hard to line during range time due to the small size and low impact color. Especially when doing draw drills. Be interested to hear your experience.

Aside from my AR addiction, I'm pretty light on pistol modes. I tend to lean pretty heavily on doing trigger work when needed, especially on range guns. My 1911's are all pretty heavily "personally modified" For my carry guns, I like a heavy pull with a crisp break, my 1911's are taken down to around 2 pounds, which is not good for carry. and I 

I did do a trigger block mod on my Ruger SR9C and installed a steel guide rod. My current Walther is just too damned good to mess with. ALTHOUGH...I may do some stippling work on it. 

#4 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

The Glock Night Sights made a pretty significant difference from the factory u dot sights. I put 50 rounds on my G26 Gen 4 and 60 rounds on my new Glock 19 Gen 4. The tungsten guide rod in my Glock 26 Gen 4 gives it a more solid feel. I will need another trip to the range for more experience. The Glock 19 Gen 4 shoots like a dream to the point where it seemed there was neglible recoil and was extremely smooth shooting. I didn't swap out the guide rod so I can get a better feel for the stock one. I will get my Sig Sauer P320 Compact and Subcompact early this week. The gunsmith that I took it to is in pretty high demand and does very good work.

#5 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

The front Glock Night Sight appears to phosphoreses green helping to pick up the front sight faster.

#6 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

In low light conditions, the three dot sights are pretty pronounced florescent green. The rear Glock Night Sight appears white.

#7 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

As far as I am willing to go on my own is to have put bubba quality brass beads on my lever rifles using brass tack heads for quicker target acquisition. Also and filing down the fixed from sights on a pair of SAA's so they would stop shooting over the berm (at least without operator error) really not so much a mod as a necessity......changed some springs and extractor in my 1911 but that's more maintenance than a mode since I put stock items back in. I would love some new sights on the 1911 but sure isn't a necessity or cash priority. Maybe a set of Big Dots for my old eyes.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#8 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:06 AM

Just ordered new slide control lever and takedown lever for my Sig Sauer P320 Compact and Subcompact. The new parts are more flush with the grip assembly than the same parts that were on them when I originally purchased them. They are on pre-order basis as there is a two week backlog.

#9 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 02:09 AM

Got both firearms back from the gunsmith. Factory Sig Sauer Siglite Night Sights are really florescent green.

#10 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

The only real modding I've done is to a project gun I started last year.  Shortly after discovering the existence of the 10mm pistol cartridge, I sorta fell in love - 22's fun, 308 is great but kicks way too hard to fire lots of rounds in one go, the 9mm is great for carry, but nothing I've shot feels like shooting a 10mm.  So I bought a used Glock 20.

Then I found out that the Glock 40 was coming out, and, well, there wasn't really a choice in the matter.  Not long after, I was looking for a way to make use of the G20, and found MechTech.  6 months later, and the 10mm system is just about complete.  This rifle is easily the most enjoyable firearm I've ever shot.  Not cheap to feed, but well worth it.  So, a rifle and pistol that share a cartridge and mags.

PDWs_Feb_2016_zpsr3du8zrc.jpg

Standard equipment from MechTech - Telestock, quad rail (6 lb 12 oz without G20 lower)
G20 lower (or G40, depends on which pistol I want to have assembled) + Glock Block (5.2 oz)
Crimson Trace Rail Master green laser (0.8 oz)
Magpul Angled Foregrip (3 oz) (modded - I dremaled out about an inch of the the plastic ledges that grip the rail so that it can be mounted over the front portion of the pistol lower, allowing room for the laser)
Bushnell TRS-25 (3.8 oz)
Red dot AR riser (2.2 oz)
Rail pad x4 (1.2 oz) (two are modded to fit over the ends of the side rails, to provide a comfortable grip)
Magpul RSA sling mount (1.1  oz)
Magpul single point sling (8.2 oz)

Full up with one of the 20 round mags it comes in at 9 lb 6 oz.

Made some fit and finish adjustments to various accessories, as noted above, and I did find a better way of attaching the trigger-guard holster than green electrical tape after taking this pic.  Working on one last mod for the project - an aluminum cheek rest to attach to the telestock, which will slide in and out with it without interfering with the action or ejection.

The G20 pictured can be a G40, just switch the slide out - oh, and the lower on the rifle can be removed to reassemble both pistols.

• Jason and chorpie like this

#11 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

I am interested in getting the Haley Strategic Skimmer Trigger on my G19 and G26 Gen 4. Has anyone else used them? Feedback?

#12 JD

JD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

I have A Skimmer Trigger for a Gen4 19. It has very little Take up, nice firm wall and crisp break. I ended up taking it out and running stock tiggers in all my Glocks. it is an outstanding trigger. Dont be fooled by the Internet gossip, all safeties are functional with the Skimmer trigger.

#13 Joshua Runfola

Joshua Runfola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

I have the skimmer trigger in my G19 Gen4 and I like it as a carry trigger and it acts like a 1911 trigger ( no creep and a nice crisp break). If your going to use it only for defensive purpose great trigger.

#14 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

Just ordered the Haley Strategic Skimmer Trigger for both my Glocks from glocktriggers.com as the Gen 4 9mm version is sold out on the Haley Strategic website. Next weekend, I hope to have my gunsmith install them on Saturday and try them on Sunday.

#15 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Have not had a chance to try the triggers but had them installed yesterday. Uptake reduced 85-90%,breaks like a candy cane or pane of glass, overtravel gone, and reset much cleaner and sooner on both my G19 and G26 Gen 4.

#16 HenryBowman

HenryBowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

The only real modding I've done is to a project gun I started last year.  Shortly after discovering the existence of the 10mm pistol cartridge, I sorta fell in love - 22's fun, 308 is great but kicks way too hard to fire lots of rounds in one go, the 9mm is great for carry, but nothing I've shot feels like shooting a 10mm.  So I bought a used Glock 20.

Then I found out that the Glock 40 was coming out, and, well, there wasn't really a choice in the matter.  Not long after, I was looking for a way to make use of the G20, and found MechTech.  6 months later, and the 10mm system is just about complete.  This rifle is easily the most enjoyable firearm I've ever shot.  Not cheap to feed, but well worth it.  So, a rifle and pistol that share a cartridge and mags.

PDWs_Feb_2016_zpsr3du8zrc.jpg

Do you happen to know the speed of the projectile on the rifle? I'll bet it't movin' on out. 10mm might be one of the best all around cartridges out there.  Nice set up !

#17 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:47 PM

Do you happen to know the speed of the projectile on the rifle? I'll bet it't movin' on out. 10mm might be one of the best all around cartridges out there.  Nice set up !

I don't have a chronograph, but ballistics-by-the-inch lists Buffalo Bore 180 gr. JHC as 1573 fps, and Cor Bon 135 gr. JHP as 1701 fps, from a 16" barrel. I'd guess that it's close to their numbers.

Smooth, accurate, reliable, compact, comfortable... but most of all: Fun!

#18 HenryBowman

HenryBowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:24 PM

I don't have a chronograph, but ballistics-by-the-inch lists Buffalo Bore 180 gr. JHC as 1573 fps, and Cor Bon 135 gr. JHP as 1701 fps, from a 16" barrel. I'd guess that it's close to their numbers.

Smooth, accurate, reliable, compact, comfortable... but most of all: Fun!

That's pretty impressive, even at an estimate. At those numbers, they're hovering into 44 spl range.  I am a HUGE fan of the 45 Colt though and revolvers in general.  I have my share of "bottom feeders" as well.  I haven't scratched the 10mm itch .... yet...

#19 PsychGuy

PsychGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Night sights and extended slide locks on all my Glocks. And that's it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users