9 replies to this topic

#1 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

I live in Louisiana, it's already regularly hitting 90's in temp and only going to get hotter. I'm looking for suggestions for a deep south summer friendly "just in case" bag to keep in my car. I have some odds and ends in a small bag but I'd like advice on what all to put in it, especially snack wise. Thanks for help.

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hi Johnny! Nice to meet you. I keep a couple different bags, one a full on holy crap bag that usually stays home, and a get home bag, that lives in the truck. It's made life a lot more bearable for me many times, and I can't imagine being without it. As far as food, I keep 3 commercially available sealed emergency water pouches in there. It's not a lot of water, but enough for any usual emergency. For food, I have never found anything better than the StarKist tuna pouches. They come in about a dozen flavors, taste great, good protein, are wet food and not dry, so eat better and easy to digest, are not bothered by heat or cold, and are thin pouchs so I pack 2 of them, and they keep well. I swap them out every 6 months. An absolute God send for emergency food. 

I also keep a small first aid kit, good quality light, an extra battery, and 2 cyalume sticks. 

A good folding knife, and a GOOD multi tool with a bit kit.

Some 500 cordage and a few zip ties.

A small pencil, a little waterproof notebook, and a sharpie. 

2 zip lock bags.

A small paper back book ( I like cheezy deceive novels) to pass the time if i'm stranded or stuck in traffic.

A couple of cheap throw away ponchos.

bug spray!

A little bag Wet wipes. (love those things!!)

a map of the state.

a magnifying glass.

a lighter.

an exra loaded mag.

gloves (both work and exam)

a signal whistle.

Motrin and Imodium.

$100 in cash, and $4 in quarters.

a bandana

a small water purification straw.

and a few other odd smalls as the mood may hit me. 

our 72 hour bags are monsters, and live by a gun safe on  hooks, ready to go. They're  an impressive son of a gun, and made to more than supply basic needs at the drop of a hat. But I find that the little GHB has been my go to so many times that I can't keep count. Those are my particular needs, and yours can and probably will vary from mine, but some items are (to me) too important for anyone to leave out. 

Building a GHB is more fun than it should be, and it's easy to get carried away! What have you collected for yours so far? 

• John likes this

#3 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

wow, that is a very nice list. 

I have a small bag from an old CamelPak knockoff that I keep in my trunk. I have: 

a basic first aid kit

a small multi tool

a compass

purification tablets as well as the purge syringe for my Sawyer bottle

Zippo and spare fluid

steel and ferro rod 

fingerless work gloves

glow sticks

flashlight

small radio and batteries

knit hat

bandana

alarm poppers (the pull apart fireworks)

and a few other odds and ends.

I want to try and get a better bag put together though.

• John likes this

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like a good start on a pretty complete bag. 

• Jonny likes this

#5 Jonny

Jonny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

Sounds like a good start on a pretty complete bag. 

thanks.

i also have an edc keychain that stays on my bag that has a 25ft hunk of 550 chord, a gerber suspension, gerber scout folder, steel match, batman bottle opener that have a flathead and phillips screwdriver tip on it, emergency light with white led and red, as well as a camo swiss style knife.

#6 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:08 PM

If you narrow the scope a bit it will help you answer the giant open ended question of what to put in your bag. For me, I put things to last me a day, at least for EDC. I know that no matter where I am daily (on a normal schedule), i'm no more than a day from home. 

If you're always in a city or near a city, your stuff might change. Like, if you're out in the boonies a lot, you might bring a stainless cup that would next with a Nalgene or something in case you need to boil water, and stuff to start a fire.

Foods that will last a long time are perfect for your bag. Jerky, Clif Bars, or you could get something like those Mainstay emergency rations.

Smart Water bottles will take a lot of abuse. 

A battery pack to recharge your phone is always to have as a backup. 

What I did over time was look at other peoples' loadouts, Google contents of 24 and 72 hour emergency kits, etc. to see what items i would use or think I needed.  It could be a good start.

Like this: http://cdn-tp1.mozu....16-64f21108123c

• John likes this

#7 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

I've pared my bag down a LOT since moving down to SC:

Two 1 liter bottles of water - heavy, but worth it
Two MREs - I don't carry my stove anymore
Poncho - too hot to wear, but make a great shelter
Floppy hat
200' 550 cord
2 Space blankets
Mosquito netting and bug spray - critters are thick here
Comprehensive first aid kit - cuts and scrapes get infected quickly
Can of Gatorade
12" machete with file and sharpening stone
Leatherman Wave
LED headlamp and flashlight - both AAA powered

#8 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

Something you might consider is a couple assorted size freezer bags, and maybe a contractor grade trash bag. I like the quart size myself. The freezer bags are small and handy and don't weigh anything. And they're thicker than the regular ones.  

• John likes this

#9 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

Something you might consider is a couple assorted size freezer bags, and maybe a contractor grade trash bag. I like the quart size myself. The freezer bags are small and handy and don't weigh anything. And they're thicker than the regular ones.  

+1 on the contractor-grade trash bags.  It's another one of those "holy crap I can use it for all that" sort of things.

• chorpie likes this

#10 topbreak38

topbreak38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

You have a map, but do you have a topo map of the area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users