Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

What is your favorite defensive round? More specifically, the manufacturer, not caliber.

29 replies to this topic

#21 JD

JD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

#1 Federal HST, #2 Speer Gold Dot, #3 Cor Bon DPX, #4 Hornady Critical Defense/Duty

• John B. and Speed like this

#22 Joshua Runfola

Joshua Runfola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

1#- Corbon DPX
2#- Federal HST
3#- Hornady Critical Duty
  • John B. likes this

#23 jacksbuddy

jacksbuddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

But it will not kill anyone on the other side. I never indicated that there would be absolutely NO penetration with low brass skeet loads through 2 layers of 1/2" drywall. It will, however stop it from fatal velocity. Unless you choose to do nothing but wet yourself and run, or use a slingshot, not much else will provide the relative safe results that a low brass small light projectile will. If you seek 100% safety, the alternative is to not use any firearm for defense within your home, or outside of it for that matter.

+1 on this.  Sure, there are building codes.  And if you think building inspectors stand over the construction workers the entire time they are building something, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.  Unicorns are not real.  Ballisticaly, your best bet is probably going to be bird shot from a pump shotgun.  Yes, the drywall will be pretty much destroyed if you have to fire the weapon, but there is less opportunity to damage something on the other side that is probably a lot more valuable than your flat screen tv.

#24 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

I've carried the Hornady Critical Defense for a while. I chose that one for its great expansion even through a variety of objects from jeans to sheet metal. I have recently switched over the Barnes Tac-XPD. I use Barnes for my hunting rounds and love the reliability and consistency of the all copper bullets. 

#25 Jonny

Jonny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:37 PM

Federal HST all day! If I can't find them I go with gold dots

#26 Mort Youth

Mort Youth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:01 PM

Hornady Critical Defense (and Critical Duty in full sized autos) are reliable and consistent. I like HPR; good velocities, and it's made in Arizona (Payson... local enough, since I travel through a bit). Sometimes I pick up the Hornady TAP rounds. Speer GD & Barnes are good, Federal HydraShok & better yet HST in a pinch, and easily found in stores. 99% of these nowadays are .38Spcl & 9x19mm for me. Geeez... it sounds like I'm in three gun fights everyday before lunch.... but, it's good (and fun) to test all these rounds and see what arms reliably digest which ammo.

#27 browcs

browcs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:20 PM

#1 Federal HST, #2 Speer Gold Dot, #3 Cor Bon DPX, #4 Hornady Critical Defense/Duty

If this question specifically references handgun defensive rounds, above sounds solid; I carry usually HST or Gold Dot (off-duty; Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger Bonded on-duty).  I have no experience with DPX, but have heard good things about both in .38 Special and 9mm.  I would add Remington Golden Saber and Winchester Ranger to the mix since I know of other LE agencies that carry those as well and like them in the calibers they use.

#28 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

For myself I use glazer safety slugs. Great penetration and massive stopping power but will not exit a body and do collateral damage. Also as a general rule will not penetrate through walls etc... when used as in a home environment. These rounds were developed for law enforcement and the Air Marshals to ensure maximum stopping power to neutralize a bad guy with one shot but not endanger civilians or penetrate the skin of an aircraft thereby causing massive rapid decompression.

#29 Bob Winstead

Bob Winstead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

Federal HST 124gr, 147gr, and the 150gr

Attached Files

#30 Col Richard Brinkman

Col Richard Brinkman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

I now use Underwood 90gr +P Extreme Penetrator in my SW MP 380 Bodyguard and I use their 120gr +P Extreme Defender in my 45 Shield and in my Hi-Point 45 as well. For home I use Dbl 00 buck in my Mossberg 500SP 12ga.

The Underwood Ammo in the 380 makes it a seriously lethal bullet as compared to all other manufactures which were/are marginal in all ballistic testings. Even though the 45acp is already a lethal round, the Underwood makes it even deadlier without over penetrating. Prior to Underwood, I was using 90gr Federal HST in the 380 and Buffalo Bore 230gr +P HP.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users