Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

What is your favorite defensive round? More specifically, the manufacturer, not caliber.

29 replies to this topic

#1 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

I just picked up some Hornady Critical Defense rounds in 45acp. They didn't disappoint! Until now, I have been using cheaper Winchester JHPs and was having a failure to feed every 8 or 9 rounds it seems like, no matter what magazine I was using. These rounds seemed to fix my issue and I'm pretty confident I don't have to send my pistol in for a check up.

Gimme your favorites and why.

Attached Files

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I quit using specific self defense rounds many years back. Whatever the pistol likes, is what I use. My only criteria is 147 grain for a 9mm. 

• John B. and John like this

#3 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

124 grain Federal Hydroshocks. IMHO, target ammo is for the range. Self-Defense rounds, when necessary as an absolute, positively last resort, are to neutralize the threat with a minimum of well-placed rounds. Rats tend to travel in packs.
  • John B. likes this

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

I should have pointed out that I don't use bulk range ammo for daily carry. My meaning is that I opt for any reliable feeder in 147gr JHP, and quit buying specialty hollow points labeled as self defense. They generally run close to double the cost of standard hollow points, and I just won't pay that premium for hat amounts to minimum if any upgrades in real world performance. I relied my ammo, for rage time, and only buy self defense rounds. But I do buy enough to get in solid range time on the rounds I carry. With a 500 round training shoot, it becomes cost prohibitive when some of those rounds demand nearly $40 a box. Anyway, stated a little more clearly, that's my routine. 

• John B. likes this

#5 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

Winchester Train & Defend 9mm is my choice for my Sig P938.  Train for the range, Defend for carry.

Video is FBI standard penetration and expansion testing from a 3 inch barrel by ShootingTheBull410.  If you've got a small 9mm, you need to check this video out.

• John B. likes this

#6 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:58 PM

Speer 180g gold dot .40 S&W rounds..
  • John B. likes this
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#7 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

Depending on what I'm carrying, all jacketed hollow points:
Speer Gold Dot 230gr .45
Remington Golden Saber .45
Federal HST 180gr .40
Sig V-Crown 180gr .40
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm
Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrator 85gr .380
  • John B. likes this

#8 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

Whatever I have.  A bullet will kill anyone whether it's FMJ or JHP.  Yes, JHP does more shattering damage however.

Lock and load!

• John B. and coldwater like this

Follow me on Instagram! Wallets&Whiskey | Post your photos on Reddit!

#9 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

Whatever I have.  A bullet will kill anyone whether it's FMJ or JHP.  Yes, JHP does more shattering damage however.

Lock and load!

As a general rule, I wholeheartedly agree. The human body does not like holes of any kind placed into it. Hit any living thing hard and get good penetration, and it'll leave it's mark. 

• John B. likes this

#10 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:57 AM

Whatever I have. A bullet will kill anyone whether it's FMJ or JHP. Yes, JHP does more shattering damage however.

Lock and load!

Pretty hard to argue with that logic, considering soldiers (and civilians) have been killing each other with ball ammo (including actual balls of lead) for a couple of centuries.......
  • John B. likes this

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

Pretty hard to argue with that logic, considering soldiers (and civilians) have been killing each other with ball ammo (including actual balls of lead) for a couple of centuries.......

^ werd....

#12 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

I'm definitely with you guys. It's pretty much whatever my pistols like to eat best and certainly any round will make holes.

It may be for naught, but I tend to worry about over penatration with ball ammo since I live in an apartment. Any of you guys have any experience with that?

#13 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

I'm definitely with you guys. It's pretty much whatever my pistols like to eat best and certainly any round will make holes.

It may be for naught, but I tend to worry about over penatration with ball ammo since I live in an apartment. Any of you guys have any experience with that?

I'm no structural engineer, but I would imagine that most modern apartment buildings will have fire walls between units. The extra material used would "probably"stop, or at least severely hinder the forward movement of most reasonable self defense rounds. 

#14 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

I'm no structural engineer, but I would imagine that most modern apartment buildings will have fire walls between units. The extra material used would "probably"stop, or at least severely hinder the forward movement of most reasonable self defense rounds. 

Really depends how modern you're talking... I can say from experience that the walls separating the apartments where I live don't have anything more than air in between.  Not 100% sure, but I believe this place was built in the early 90's.

#15 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Really depends how modern you're talking... I can say from experience that the walls separating the apartments where I live don't have anything more than air in between.  Not 100% sure, but I believe this place was built in the early 90's.

Fire codes have been in place for some time now. They go by burn through, which dictates the material resistance to fire for an allotted time. It may be a hollow wall, but the materials are thicker which should slow a projectile to some extent. It may not hold back a 44 from doing a lot of damage, but a 4 or even a 45 may use enough of it's energy on impact to make it a less lethal. That wall will have 2 layers as well. I'm not about to stand there and let someone shoot me through the wall, but it's a possibility, certainly not a gurantee. One of the reasons I prefer a shotgun with skeet loads inside the home. Especially at night.

#16 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Fire codes have been in place for some time now. They go by burn through, which dictates the material resistance to fire for an allotted time. It may be a hollow wall, but the materials are thicker which should slow a projectile to some extent. It may not hold back a 44 from doing a lot of damage, but a 4 or even a 45 may use enough of it's energy on impact to make it a less lethal. That wall will have 2 layers as well. I'm not about to stand there and let someone shoot me through the wall, but it's a possibility, certainly not a gurantee. One of the reasons I prefer a shotgun with skeet loads inside the home. Especially at night.

That may well be, but I personally wouldn't rely on it.  I've seen a 40 S&W go through one such wall, an inch thick hardwood headboard, at an angle, and stop inside another wall.  One wall on its own wouldn't do much at all make a bullet non-lethal.

#17 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:40 PM

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to stop a powerful pellet gun with drywall. Texture and paint make it tougher, but interior walls are all 1/2" stuff. Ever put a door knob through the wall? Bet it wasn't at nearly the velocity of a .38, or 9mm, or even shotgun pellets.
My uncle had his own drywall hanging business, which I worked every summer for many years. We used pieces of it for targets all the time. Seriously, don't depend on a wall to stop anything other than a knife. 12ga birdshot, at distances you're likely to be shooting at in a home, will decimate drywall.

#18 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

12ga birdshot, at distances you're likely to be shooting at in a home, will decimate drywall.

But it will not kill anyone on the other side. I never indicated that there would be absolutely NO penetration with low brass skeet loads through 2 layers of 1/2" drywall. It will, however stop it from fatal velocity. Unless you choose to do nothing but wet yourself and run, or use a slingshot, not much else will provide the relative safe results that a low brass small light projectile will. If you seek 100% safety, the alternative is to not use any firearm for defense within your home, or outside of it for that matter.

#19 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

But it will not kill anyone on the other side. I never indicated that there would be absolutely NO penetration with low brass skeet loads through 2 layers of 1/2" drywall. It will, however stop it from fatal velocity. Unless you choose to do nothing but wet yourself and run, or use a slingshot, not much else will provide the relative safe results that a low brass small light projectile will. If you seek 100% safety, the alternative is to not use any firearm for defense within your home, or outside of it for that matter.

Not knocking your choice of rounds, sir. Certainly they have less chance of injuring someone on the other side of a wall than the 9mm I have by the bed. I was simply stating that drywall makes a poor barrier, regardless of what you're shooting, and relating my own experiences using drywall as target material. As you say, using any firearm comes with risks wherever you shoot it.
And who knows, I might actually wet myself if I had to shoot someone in my house.......:-)
  • Matt likes this

#20 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

I love the Hornady Critical Defense. That is what I carry. But when it comes to my favorite brand, I have to go with Barnes. Their TAC-XPD Defense rounds are AMAZING!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users