#1 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

As the title states, who's your favorite gun maker, can be a maker of long guns or handguns, a new guy on the market or some concern that goes back generations - just pick one or two.

I'll go first with my two - Glock and Ruger. Glock, to me, is the Toyota of gun makers, quiet not flashy but puts out a good reliable product. Over the last couple of years, I've been carrying a Ruger Lc9 and I've been happy with it but I wish I knew that the Lc9s was coming out. Ruger is also known for Mini 14 and the 10/22. So what's yours?

• armydoc likes this

#2 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:44 AM

I have too many different makers to like just one, however I believe the most innovative company out there that has been setting the standard has been Ruger.

Since Bill Ruger passed away in 2002 the people who took over the reigns have come out with the most innovative products bar none. Their LCR series of revolvers which as designed as polymer +P revolvers are amazing. The creation of the takedown 10/22 and takedown AR15 as well as their new bolt action sniper rifle that can hit out to 1600 yards for around a grand is hard to beat. And finally one of my favorite bolt guns the Ruger Scout Rifle.

6804.jpg

American Walnut

• Front SightProtected Blade
  • Rear SightAdjustable
  • Capacity10
  • Thread Pattern 
  • Barrel Length16.10"40.8 cm
  • Overall Length37"93.9 cm - 38.50"97.7 cm
  • MaterialStainless Steel
  • FinishMatte Stainless
  • Length Of Pull12.75"32.3 cm - 14.25"36.1 cm
  • Twist1:10" RH
  • Weight6.7 lb.3.06 kg
  • Grooves6
  • Available At Lipsey's

• Matt likes this

#3 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Sig Sauer.

There are rifles, hand guns, 1911's and SBRs that are all top notch.

The P229 Legion

The MPX

Many more.

• Brendan likes this

Follow me on Instagram! | Post your photos on Reddit!

#4 Jason

Jason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

That was a hard one; I like quite a few guns for what they are and what they can do, but I'll cast another vote for Sig.

#5 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

Best make that three for Sig Sauer...
Solid sidearms, long rifles and sub guns, etc. Great quality and reliability...
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#6 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

I use a Ruger Scout for hunting; wonderful rifle, and I plan to suppress it in the near future, now that MN allows suppressors for hunting.

Since Bill Ruger passed away in 2002 the people who took over the reigns have come out with the most innovative products bar none. Their LCR series of revolvers which as designed as polymer +P revolvers are amazing. The creation of the takedown 10/22 and takedown AR15 as well as their new bolt action sniper rifle that can hit out to 1600 yards for around a grand is hard to beat. And finally one of my favorite bolt guns the Ruger Scout Rifle.

That being said, I'll join the Sig bandwagon.  My EDC handgun is a Sig 938, and when the safety lever started showing signs of a problem (looseness), I sent it back for a warranty repair; after determining it was a manufacturing defect, they sent me a brand new gun to replace it - no cost to me, no fuss.  The new one has functioned flawlessly.  Great company, excellent customer service, and unparalleled product quality.  If/when I go in for an AR variant, it'll be a Sig MCX.

#7 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

I use a Ruger Scout for hunting; wonderful rifle, and I plan to suppress it in the near future, now that MN allows suppressors for hunting.

That being said, I'll join the Sig bandwagon.  My EDC handgun is a Sig 938, and when the safety lever started showing signs of a problem (looseness), I sent it back for a warranty repair; after determining it was a manufacturing defect, they sent me a brand new gun to replace it - no cost to me, no fuss.  The new one has functioned flawlessly.  Great company, excellent customer service, and unparalleled product quality.  If/when I go in for an AR variant, it'll be a Sig MCX.

I have owned two SIG handguns in my life a SIG P230 and a SIG P228. They were both great guns that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I sold the P230 to a young lady friend, and traded the 228 for an impossible to find Ruger Hunter MKIII pistol with a factory shortened barrel that was a distributor exclusive.

The one firearm I would love to get from SIG is the MCX rifle chambered in 7.62x39. The rifle has had some issues and they are on their 3rd generation in improving the rifle.

sigp230.jpg2638920_01_ruger_mk_iii_hunter_short_bar

• Matt likes this

#8 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:00 AM

Torn between Glock and Sig Sauer. Just purchased a Sig P320 Compact at an NRA charity event and will be getting a Glock 19 Gen 4. Already have a Glock 26 Gen 4.

#9 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

Shotguns, Benelli without a doubt.

Handguns, It's too hard to pick just one, but I'm partial to Beretta and Springfield Armory

#10 Miles W.

Miles W.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

I went through a friend of mine who is a dealer in order to make my decision on a first handgun.

After firing a few thousand rounds through models carrying such names as Taurus, Rock Island Armory, Springfield, The CZ75 and IT75 variants, Beretta, Glock, Ruger, and Sig Sauer I was awash with different feelings about each but could not make my decision between the features and handling characteristics. I was not even worried about price at the time, a defensive firearm is far too important to criticize for being too expensive. 

Then I handled an enlisted friend's 226... There was just something about the frame and accuracy that caught me off guard. For a concealed choice I am leaning towards the Kahr CM9 but in most cases the SP2022 I picked up satisfies my needs.

Sig Sauer has my vote as well. Well-made kit and for what I purchased the value was stellar. I will gladly pay for the full-body 226/227/229 when the time comes, have given serious thought to a P938, and look forward to test-firing the MCX.

#11 chorpie

chorpie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, California

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

Ruger, solely for the scout rifle although i'd like a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 some day.

Springfield, although not for their 1911's,  but for the XD series. Just as dependable (IMO), but with ergonomics that actually allow me to grip the gun (no Gen 4 glocks in CA).

#12 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

Springfield, although not for their 1911's,  but for the XD series. Just as dependable (IMO), but with ergonomics that actually allow me to grip the gun (no Gen 4 glocks in CA).

In addition to a Ruger Lc9, my wife settled on the XD(M) from Springfield. It just fitted her hand better than Glock and has been ease to shot. You can't go wrong with an XD.

• chorpie likes this

#13 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Ruger.  They just seem to fit my hand better than anything else.  That, plus they just work.  They generally don't care what kind of ammo you use in them.  I've had Sigs, Glocks, and Brownings that were "picky eaters", but never a Ruger.

#14 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

So many brands to admire and love.

Colt .........Colt Gunsite Pistol, Gunsite Service Pistols, Detective Special,

Steyr .......Scout in .308 (a gift from my son). The best trigger of all my guns. Steyr AUG.

Ruger...... 77Mk2 Compact in .308

Springfield...... 1911a1 (a custom pistol from Gunsite)

Glock.........I have used and carried this brand for years... not pretty, no pride of ownership inherent in the guns but they are among the most practical for most people's defensive use. Glock has been copied in one way or another by so many other companies.

Smith and Wesson..... Model 19 in 6" ans 2.5" Great revolvers, good solid autos.

Taurus........ I only have one, a CIA in .38SPL but it has proved to be reliable and practical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users