23 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

Both cost the same but the mini seems more streamlined and less bulky. Any thoughts?

#2 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

Those prices on that holster cost an arm and a leg!

Have you heard of the INCOG holster? The holster is Appendix carry style, however you can use it all the way to about 5 o'clock position. You can purchase as an extra a magazine holster for the complete package or remove it and use the pistol holster by itself. The holster has an adjustable cant.

This holster was a collaboration between Travis Haley and G Code holsters. It was designed for a government agency that shall not be named. Long story short, it is an amazing holster and it is what I use myself. It is very comfortable and is great for driving as the seat belt does not interfere with drawing your weapon.

http://www.tacticalh...duct/INCOG.html

https://www.youtube....h?v=j1mvHZIQu7s

G-Code-INCOG-1.jpg

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:44 AM

I can't really see too much difference between the two models of stealth gear holsters. Both look like they would fall short on comfort to me. My personal choice for IWB is the Crossbreed Super tuck, which is in fact a little bit "bigger" than the Mini tuck. I have both models, but never wear the mini anymore. There is no difference in wearability between the two, and both feel exactly the same on the body. The difference is how much of the pistol is kept from the body, and the super tuck is miles ahead in that aspect. I almost always carry against bare skin and simply cover with a T shirt, and the ability of the super tuck to keep my gun from digging into me is beyond amazing. The mini, not so much. I also choose the option of premium horse hide, as it does not absorb moisture, and molds to the body like silk. Retention is spectacular, and comfort is just as good. 

#4 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks very much. I watched a comparison of the Crossbreed vs Aliengear vs Stealthgear. I came away from it more interested in the Stealthgear due to the breathability of something that is going to be pressed up against me and my firearm both from my comfort and the durability of the gun and its finish. Having looked at both Stealthgear iwb holsters, it seems like a regular is a better value and might fit me better as I am a pretty big person.

#5 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

I am a little leary of aiwb carry in terms of concealability and practicality being a large person. A negligent discharge could damage reproductive organs and femoral artery injury. I plan to carry iwb at 400 430pm during spring and summer while switching to owb using my blackhawk serpa cqc holster during the fall and winter. I wanted to get an idea of the feel of these products as I would use the same models for a future G14 Gen 4 purchase.

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

I'm not particularly heavy, but I am 6' and 215 pounds. I kid you not when I say that the crossbreed is the single most comfortable holster I have ever worn in nearly 40 years. I'm pretty sure I know the review you're talking about, and I found it to laughable. I will say this, I was an early custome of Crossbreed, and bought my first one about 8 years ago. I now own 6 of them. Not one thing said in that test was true in my experience. I have hundreds of hours with that holster on me, it's still in beautiful condition, and it still carries my .45 It has never rusted my pistol, or itself. In the end, t the decision is completely yours, but I feel compelled to set right those misconceptions on an outstanding holster. I wish you luck in your search, buying a holster is a highly personal choice.

#7 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

Totally understand and appreciate your feedback as I am relatively new to owning a handgun. There is so much information out there that it's hard to to knowledgeable sources. I will take another look at the Crossbreed. I am trying not to fall into the trap of a drawer full of unused holsters.

#8 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

Totally understand and appreciate your feedback as I am relatively new to owning a handgun. There is so much information out there that it's hard to to knowledgeable sources. I will take another look at the Crossbreed. I am trying not to fall into the trap of a drawer full of unused holsters.

Buying a holster is absolutely brutal. Especially now when every tom dick and harry is turning them out by the train load, all claiming to be "the best" I have spent far in excess of a thousand dollars on them over the years, and the best ones were marginal at best, horrors at worst. Do the research, and seek reviews from people that have owned and USED them for extended periods of time. Far too many people fall victim to the latest trend with the coolest names, and are willing to sacrifice comfort or usability to be in the trend. The internet is full of experts that buy and test for a week, then make a video claimiing superior knowledge. The Crossbreed is a homely looking thing. It's not cool or bad ass, and a name like super tuck isn't anywhere near as awesome as "black death operator" (or some such nonsense) But I can say without hesitation, that it is the best holster I have ever owned, by far. I have a lot of LE friends, most work in vice narcotics and major crimes, and are plainclothes. Every one of them have converted to the Crossbreed. I am not, nor would I ever tell you to go run out and buy one, but it may be worth your while to give it a good tire kicking. There are many long term wearers giving their opinions on them. 

#9 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

I'm on the Crossbreed bandwagon with Coldwater. I'm a big guy who carries aiwb a Ruger Lc9 in a mini-tuck. I've got a lot of back problems but carrying this holster in this position doesn't hurt. Heck, I don't even know it's there most times. Those of us who have carry for any length of times end up with a drawer full of holsters. I know I have. One of things I've noticed with holster who have one belt clip is that the holster tends to rotate around where it's attached to the clip. The Minituck (along with the Supertiuck) has two clips and hold my weapon in the same place all day long. Regardless of which holster you buy, buy a well made one, it will make all the difference.    

#10 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:24 AM

I forgot one of the most important parts of carrying a gun. The holster itself is only half the equation, and even the best one will be lost without a proper, good quality gun belt. Leather or web is your choice, but a belt specifically made for the purpose of carrying a firearm is vital. 

#11 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Also looking at a good belt as well.

#12 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

My favorite is Bullhide Belts. No frills, solid, American made. They have thick regular leather belts, steel cores, BioBelts, and more. I have two of their belts, and I honestly don't foresee ever needing any other.

#13 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

Also looking at a good belt as well.

If you go with a crossbreed, I can vouch for their belts as well. I own both Galco and crossbreed, and both are great belts. The Crossbreed is less expensive. 

#14 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Finally got my Stealthgear Onyx IWB holster about 35 days after ordering it in May. Just started wearing in July due to a death in the family.

#15 H@CK3R

H@CK3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCaguas, Puerto Rico

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

I currently have the Aliengear Tuck 3.0 and I LOVE it. I've ran the Clinger Stingray for 2 weeks - so the verdict is still out on that, but so far so good. This is when I want a minimalist holster aside from the AlienGear. For belts... the 5.11Tactical Operator is my go-to.

#16 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

A guy in my church wears CrossBreed -- I too was gonna go that route till i watched that YouTube video.

I ended up buying the SteathGearUSA IWB Mini for my Ruger LC9s Pro... 

I'm 6'1'' / 205 lbs...  but I figured the small gun would fit nice in a small holster...  Been wearing mine since August 1st. 

I will say that the holster itself is very comfy right at the moment I put it on.

--And for the most part I don't know its there...  But, I have noticed a slight "sharp pinching" feeling deep in my lower back next to wear I carry my pistol.

My guess is that since I"m not a small guy, I shouldn't be using the small holster

--Perhaps the larger holster will fit me better.   I'm gonna sent back the Mini today to get it replaced with a Standard sized...

--If that doesn't work, I'll buy a CrossBreed and give them a try.

--I'll try to keep the thread updated.

James, I'd like to hear your thoughts about your holster thus far.

#17 CMack

CMack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

I have used a 1st Gen Crossbreed with a Glock 19, alien,  and also a stealthgear.  I prefer the Stealthgear for build quality and breathability.  I have not ever tried an appendix carry.  I am medium build.  All of these holsters are good choices but the Stealth won 1st spot with me.

#18 CMack

CMack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:21 PM

My favorite is Bullhide Belts. No frills, solid, American made. They have thick regular leather belts, steel cores, BioBelts, and more. I have two of their belts, and I honestly don't foresee ever needing any other.

I own 2 bullhide belts and agree.  These get the job done.

• Nathaniel P likes this

#19 James

James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

I already had an Onyx holster for my G26. Stealthgear recently had a sale so I got a long double mag carrier as well as iwb holsters for my G19 and two Sig pistols.

#20 KmaNick

KmaNick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

new member here, I have an Onyx and a Flex for my shield, and a flex for my XDM 3.8 .45.

I went through a bunch of holsters and I found the stealthgear to be by far the most comfortable .

I'm 6' 210 pounds 34" waist , they work well on athletic body type.

I just ordered a mini for a new M&P 9C I just picked up,I figured I'd give that one a try, you can always send it back

within the first 30 days.

they are pricey but I drop $200.00 on ammo without even blinking, I'm not going to pinch pennies on something

as important as a good holster/Belt.

20 days to go for delivery :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users