Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

Field Notes vs. Rite in the Rain

field notes rite in the rain writing durability fisher space pen water proof pointless forum post tags yes i am an idiot

9 replies to this topic

#1 Austin

Austin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

I am curious as to why people choose Field Notes vs Rite in the Rain pocket journals. I feel as though the Rite in the Rain notebooks are much more durable and are pretty resistive to moisture.. but the Field Notes DO look classy and minimalistic. What are your thoughts? 

• Dave and MichelL like this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

I keep a couple of little wet note books in my bag with a couple pencils. GTG.

#3 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

That's easy.  Have you ever tried using anything other than a ballpoint or a pencil on Rite in the Rain paper?  Doesn't work too well.  I love RITRs for shop use (I'm a welder/machinist), but outside the shop I use fountain pens almost exclusively.  I have yet to find fountain pen ink that works acceptably well with RITR's paper.

(In all fairness, the regular Field Notes paper ain't all that great for fountain pens, but the stuff they used in their 2015 Workshop Companion books is sweet.  Even for fountain pens.)

• Austin likes this

#4 Rite in the Rain

Rite in the Rain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

That's easy.  Have you ever tried using anything other than a ballpoint or a pencil on Rite in the Rain paper?  Doesn't work too well.  I love RITRs for shop use (I'm a welder/machinist), but outside the shop I use fountain pens almost exclusively.  I have yet to find fountain pen ink that works acceptably well with RITR's paper.

(In all fairness, the regular Field Notes paper ain't all that great for fountain pens, but the stuff they used in their 2015 Workshop Companion books is sweet.  Even for fountain pens.)

Hey Mudkicker.  You're on to something there.  Because our paper is water-resistant, pens with water-based inks are doomed to struggle on our paper.  Traditionally, gel and fountain pen inks will be water-based.  You're gonna have a tough time with those types of pens.

If you like the smoothness and ink volume of those types of pens, the closest thing that I've tried on RITR is the Uni Jetstream 1.0mm pens.  They come in a few different styles and colors, and they put down a nice, dark line, even on our water-resistant paper.

• Jeffrey Dheere likes this

#5 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

Hey Mudkicker.  You're on to something there.  Because our paper is water-resistant, pens with water-based inks are doomed to struggle on our paper.  Traditionally, gel and fountain pen inks will be water-based.  You're gonna have a tough time with those types of pens.

If you like the smoothness and ink volume of those types of pens, the closest thing that I've tried on RITR is the Uni Jetstream 1.0mm pens.  They come in a few different styles and colors, and they put down a nice, dark line, even on our water-resistant paper.

Tell you what, I like RITR for work because there's so much that DOES work on them.  I just happen to prefer other notebooks for my fountain pen use beyond work.

I actually commandeered a bunch of pens from people at work a while back to test which ones worked the best on my RITR.  Not the most scientific study, but here are my results...

• Bic Round Stic -- Not the nicest writer, but the fastest dry time.  Can be a little skippy.
  • Fisher Space Pen -- Nicer writing quality, no skipping, takes a little longer to dry than the Bic.
  • Uni Jetstream -- Smooth roll, lays down a heavier line than the Fisher, slightly longer dry time, but not enough to cause smudge issues.
  • Parker Quink Flow -- About the same dry time as the Jetstream, but a bit scratchier.  Similar line to the Fisher.
  • Schneider Slider 755 refill (in a Parker Jotter) -- Same line quality as Jetstream, not as scratchy as Parker, almost a minute to dry.
  • Paper Mate Ink Joy -- Decent ink flow, but still wet and smudging after 60 seconds.
  • Cross ballpoint refill -- Splotchy, smudgy, long dry time.  Kinda typical of Cross, even on regular paper.
  • Sharpie ultra-fine permanent marker -- Strong dark line, quick dry, and surprisingly, no bleed-through.

I tested Sharpie fine-tip and chisel-tip permanent markers too, as well as the Sharpie Industrial fine-tip.  It took something as big as the chisel-tip to finally get bleed-through.  The felt-tip Sharpies take a while longer to dry, but the RITR paper takes their inks really well.  (No go on the non-permanent Sharpie pens, though.)

So for pretty much those reasons, I use RITRs at work.  That, plus they seem to have a slightly higher ignition point than Field Notes...  :lol:   (Hey, I said I was a welder!)

• Rite in the Rain likes this

#6 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:20 AM

II debated for a long time between the two. Finally chose Field Notes for the style. Its hard to beat the price point on Field Notes. I do want a Rite in the Rain for my hunting gear though.

#7 Luc Harvey

Luc Harvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

What about ClairFountaine notebook  - same size and FP quality paper ?  I'm now only using them in my home made Midori style book

#8 Jason Colson

Jason Colson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

This is hilarious. I was just thinking the same thing. I have always used RITR because of being in the Infantry, they take a beating in the field. I was wondering about field notes because I have never used them. When I use RITR I tend to use one of their pens, the pens are just like the paper takes a beating and keeps going. 

• Rite in the Rain likes this

#9 Rite in the Rain

Rite in the Rain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

• Bic Round Stic -- Not the nicest writer, but the fastest dry time.  Can be a little skippy.
  • Fisher Space Pen -- Nicer writing quality, no skipping, takes a little longer to dry than the Bic.
  • Uni Jetstream -- Smooth roll, lays down a heavier line than the Fisher, slightly longer dry time, but not enough to cause smudge issues.
  • Parker Quink Flow -- About the same dry time as the Jetstream, but a bit scratchier.  Similar line to the Fisher.
  • Schneider Slider 755 refill (in a Parker Jotter) -- Same line quality as Jetstream, not as scratchy as Parker, almost a minute to dry.
  • Paper Mate Ink Joy -- Decent ink flow, but still wet and smudging after 60 seconds.
  • Cross ballpoint refill -- Splotchy, smudgy, long dry time.  Kinda typical of Cross, even on regular paper.
  • Sharpie ultra-fine permanent marker -- Strong dark line, quick dry, and surprisingly, no bleed-through.

Solid comp; thanks for this!  Great to know.

#10 Eaton

Eaton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

Rite in the Rain for years using Fisher Space pens or a pencil. I work around boats and water.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: field notes, rite in the rain, writing, durability, fisher space pen, water proof, pointless forum post tags, yes i am an idiot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users