One of my most frequently used EDC items is one that I made myself. As an IT guy, father, husband and general tinkerer, i frequently find myself in need of both electrical tape and duct tape. I keep a roll of each in my vehicle, and there are always a few rolls lying around the house, but sometimes i need it in a hurry, or I am away from my house/car. So, I wanted a way to have some on me at all times, without being too bulky or inconvenient. I saw similar items for sale online, but they were expensive ($20), and only held about 18" of duct tape....So, i made my own.
Here is what you will need:
- a 3" long clevis pin.
- two flat steel washers. ( i used 1.25" diameter washers with center holes that fit the clevis pin) You can use larger/smaller washers, depending on how much tape you wish to carry and how bulky you want it to be.
- split key ring
- duct tape
- electrical tape
- 5 minutes
I didn't take pictures of the build process, but this isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure you can figure it out by looking at the attached pictures.
Here are the basic steps:
- Pick up clevis pin
- Place one washer onto the pin
- Wrap duct tape around the pin until the thickness matches the outer diameter of the washer
- Place second washer onto pin
- wrap electrical tape around pin until it reaches the desired thickness
- attach split key ring to hole in clevis pin
- attach your new emergency tape spool to a caribiner on your belt, or to a bag, or wherever you would like to put it.
I clip mine on my belt, it gets used at least once per week. My wife made fun of me for it at first, but she eventually stopped once she saw how incredibly useful it is.
Mine holds approximately 6ft of duct tape. I didn't measure the electrical tape, but it holds several feet of it as well. You can see in the picture, the duct tape doesn't come quite to the edge of the washers, this is because i used some today and haven't replaced it yet...typically the tape sits flush with the washers.