Homemad EDC duct tape / electrical tape spool

5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Frederick

Nick Frederick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

One of my most frequently used EDC items is one that I made myself.  As an IT guy, father, husband and general tinkerer, i frequently find myself in need of both electrical tape and duct tape.   I keep a roll of each in my vehicle, and there are always a few rolls lying around the house, but sometimes i need it in a hurry, or I am away from my house/car.   So, I wanted a way to have some on me at all times, without being too bulky or inconvenient.  I saw similar items for sale online, but they were expensive ($20), and only held about 18" of duct tape....So, i made my own.

Here is what you will need:

• a 3" long clevis pin.
  • two flat steel washers. ( i used 1.25" diameter washers with center holes that fit the clevis pin) You can use larger/smaller washers, depending on how much tape you wish to carry and how bulky you want it to be.
  • split key ring
  • duct tape
  • electrical tape
  • 5 minutes

I didn't take pictures of the build process, but this isn't exactly rocket science. I'm sure you can figure it out by looking at the attached pictures.  

Here are the basic steps:

1. Pick up clevis pin
  2. Place one washer onto the pin
  3. Wrap duct tape around the pin until the thickness matches the outer diameter of the washer
  4. Place second washer onto pin 
  5. wrap electrical tape around pin until it reaches the desired thickness
  6. attach split key ring to hole in clevis pin
  7. attach your new emergency tape spool to a caribiner on your belt, or to a bag, or wherever you would like to put it.

I clip mine on my belt, it gets used at least once per week. My wife made fun of me for it at first, but she eventually stopped once she saw how incredibly useful it is.

Mine holds approximately 6ft of duct tape.  I didn't measure the electrical tape, but it holds several feet of it as well.  You can see in the picture, the duct tape doesn't come quite to the edge of the washers, this is because i used some today and haven't replaced it yet...typically the tape sits flush with the washers. 

ZOZcl26_L2jos_T_czz_F15w_FXimw_Z5c_4_Yu_

6_Ttg_Ixa_OGDAZ_BIZZc_SFfimx_Kd_GHGAPau5

• Chris Doherty, Andrew Cohen, WallyGator and 6 others like this

#2 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:45 AM

Pretty cool! And thanks for sharing the "recipe". Don't have a photo, but the one I improvised is both kinda lame and super simple. I just found a long bolt, and had my daughter hold the roll of tape taut while I rolled the bolt. I don't have nearly as much tape as you do on my bolt, but I have used it with some frequency. I do, however, like yours a lot better and may go to the hardware store this weekend

#3 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

Good idea. I just keep mine wrapped up on an old credit card. 

#4 Rich

Rich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Awesome idea thanks. I've been looking for a cleaner way to carry gorilla tape. I'll have to give this a try. I usually will use a pill bottle for backpacking, I keep a mini Bic,tinder and a few single packs of meds in the bottle. This would be perfect for my FAK in my EDC bag. Thanks

#5 Timothy Barth

Timothy Barth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

My pocket toolkit includes a piece of 2-3" long paracord with a knot on the end that I wrap duct tape around for just this purpose. The clevis pin and washers are a lot cleaner version though - I may switch it over. 

#6 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

I have a Bic lighter with a soda can pop-top ring taped to the bottom of it with several wraps of Gorilla Tape. Can be clipped to key rings etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users