#1911 #Firearms #Handgun

20 replies to this topic

#1 B Tyler S

B Tyler S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

Just wondering how many out there carry a 1911? Polymer is king these days but I like to stay old school.  

• Ken Morley likes this

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

I carried one for decades. Changed to a light weight 9mm just recently.

image_zps0c76f622.jpg

#3 B Tyler S

B Tyler S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Is that a Kimber Raptor? Which 9 are you carrying?

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

Is that a Kimber Raptor? Which 9 are you carrying?

It is. It's a Pro Raptor II, full frame 4" barrel .45  I recently made the switch to 9mm's in poly frame. I started with the excellent little Ruger SR9C and a few months back, went to the slightly larger Walther PPQ in 9 as well.

#5 B Tyler S

B Tyler S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

I really like the sr9c, had a guy try to trade me his for my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. It was a lose/win situation, I just couldn't trade away my Blackhawk. I love that gun.

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

I really like the sr9c, had a guy try to trade me his for my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. It was a lose/win situation, I just couldn't trade away my Blackhawk. I love that gun.

I wouldn't trade a Blackhawk for an SRC9 either. Not an even trade unless the hawk was shot to pieces. I do very much like the little SRC. It shoots very well, feels good in hand, is accurate, designed well, and best of all, extremely reliable, and has a great trigger. But even with all the good, Ruger hit a home run on pricing. It's priced exactly at it's actual worth at around $400 new. 

#7 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

Kimber Ultra Crimson compact - two tone, green laser, rosewood grips.

7+1 45ACP shoots beautifully, recoil is very manageable.

Just a beautiful gun - I have pics but posting them is a challenge ... sorry

Those that say "I wouldn't want a manual safety on my defensive handgun" need to expand their horizons.

Anyone that can't learn to lever the safety off with their thumb, probably shouldn't be carrying anyway.

Train with whatever you carry and you'll be fine.

#8 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:30 PM

My first 1911 was a Kimber Ultra Carry CDP. Beautiful black and stainless with Rosewood grips. Sadly I had a problem with the extractor where it kept rotating in the pistol clock wise. Although it never caused a malfunction I definitely was concerned about it. I sent the pistol into Kimber and almost 3 months later got the pistol back and it still had the same problem.

I am a big stickler for good customer service, my experience with Kimber soured me on their products all together. I told my friend about the problem and they wanted to buy the pistol anyway so I sold it and lost nothing but my time in waiting for Kimber to make good on their product which they never did.

To replace the Kimber while I was still a single man and in the military I had Wilson build me a custom Comander size 1911 45ACP. Then I sent the weapon to Robar to get their NP3 (nickel teflon) plating put on the weapon.

This finish left the pistol with a nice matte gray finish. The plating allows for the weapon to be fired bone dry and the powder residue wiped off with a dry cloth. For the record though, I always lubricate my firearms.

I still carry the pistol from time to time but I carry a sub-compact 9mm more often just for convenience of size, weight etc. My 9mm is filled with a proven round and I have no reservations about carrying it over a 45ACP.

#9 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:54 PM

I've had my 1911 since December 2015, so I haven't had it very long, but I do it carry it exclusively.

Attached Files

#10 DB Cooper

DB Cooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

ArmyDoc -

Agreed on carrying a 9mm - as the weather warms up I often switch to a Springfield XD9 Mod2, or a Sig P238 .380 for pocket carry. Sweatshirt weather and colder I usually carry my Ultra compact.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Kimber. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), but I avoided Kimber for a number of years because of stories just like yours I had heard

#11 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1357 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

ArmyDoc -

Agreed on carrying a 9mm - as the weather warms up I often switch to a Springfield XD9 Mod2, or a Sig P238 .380 for pocket carry. Sweatshirt weather and colder I usually carry my Ultra compact.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Kimber. I haven't had any problems (knock on wood), but I avoided Kimber for a number of years because of stories just like yours I had heard

I own a few Kimbers. Every one of them jammed on a fairly regular basis, untill they broke in. After the magic 500 round mark, they started running like a champ. The least used one has in excess of 5,000 rounds through it, and malfunctions are extremely rare. Many of the detractors don't understand that it's a semi hand made pistol, and as such, hand fit to tight tolerances, and they need a good shake down to become happy. They all run as well as my old pro comp.

#12 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

ArmyDoc -

It could have been a one in a million flub with the mechanical issue on my pistol, but it just was not handled right by them which compounded the situation

Now and days every major company is producing a 1911 which is awesome. Sig Sauer, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, heck even Taurus makes a 1911. Taurus which is a Brazilian company with their headquarters in Miami has one of the best warranties in the firearms business. It is a lifetime warranty on the weapon period. 

#13 Shelby

Shelby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

SW1911 SC .45 4.25 inch. Super light (for a 1911)

#14 The Irishman

The Irishman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I carry my Kimber Desert Warrior anytime that I can get away with carrying a full size handgun. The 1911 is still a great choice of weapon in the era of polymer pistols. The 1911 fits perfect in the hand and aims true for just about any hand size .

#15 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:54 PM

I have a Kimber Sapphire in 9mm but I'm selling it.  It's a very accurate shooter, mild recoil which allows a quick target reset, but I had an issue with it failing to lock the slide on the final round.  Kimber fixed it, but it's a little heavy and large for me to carry daily even in a compact.

#16 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

For the cooler months I carry a Springfield 1911 customized at the Gunsite Gunsmithy by Ted Yost.  A very reliable pistol, accurate, powerful enough and a pleasure to own. I carry it comfortably in a Milt Sparks Summer Special on Wilderness Products Instructor belt, with a Blade-Tech spare magazine pouch.

I carry a Glock 26 in the warmer months so I won't mess up my 1911 with perspiration.

#17 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Anyone in the mid-south who is interested in a '1911's Only' pistol defensive course can contact me here. I conduct one or two such classes every year.

#18 Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBetween Ferguson and a radioactive landfill fire. No, really.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:28 AM

I carried one for about 4 years. It was the only carry gun I had, at the time. It's a 5" Rock Island. I still carry it on occasion, but I now have a smaller gun I use most of the time.

#19 JBear

JBear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

I know I'm a bit late to respond, but I carry an EMP4, and would recommend it to anyone. I've been shooting 49yrs. My first handgun was a Python, I have a Kimber TLE/LG Pro that I also carry, but it gets heavy so I carry the Springfield more often. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my Shield and other sidearms, but if you are a 1911 fan like I am, you will love the EMP4.

#20 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:38 AM

Does the Sig P938 count?

Similar battery of arms - much more comfortable for me to carry... half the weight really does make a difference for daily carry.

As far as full power semi-auto calibers go, I'd carry my Glock 20 every day if concealment wasn't a requirement for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users