6 replies to this topic

#1 Asbjørn

Asbjørn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi guys

I am hoping for a little help on this problem I have encountered.

I am a leftie and for the last couple of years I have not been carrying an edc pen, because I stopped using the old one due to smearing.

Have any of you, southpaw or not, got any advice on what pen(s) would be ideal for edc as a leftie?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Denmark!

#2 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

Do you hook over or just drag your hand through the line? I used to drag my hand through the line, but spent around 6 weeks consciously working on it and trained myself to bring my hand directly below the line. Seriously, you should give it a try. Then you can use whatever you want! In the meantime-I find a Fisher Space Pen with a fine point works really well as a non-smear option as long as you are not sweaty handed.  There are a lot of pens that take that refill, so you are not limited to just the Fisher pens. Sensa pens use those refills. I use a Sensa Minx. It came with a leather sheath and has been in my pocket for at least 15 years. The soft section is great, especially if you strangle the pen, as so many lefties seem to.

#3 Asbjørn

Asbjørn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

Do you hook over or just drag your hand through the line? I used to drag my hand through the line, but spent around 6 weeks consciously working on it and trained myself to bring my hand directly below the line. Seriously, you should give it a try. Then you can use whatever you want! In the meantime-I find a Fisher Space Pen with a fine point works really well as a non-smear option as long as you are not sweaty handed.  There are a lot of pens that take that refill, so you are not limited to just the Fisher pens. Sensa pens use those refills. I use a Sensa Minx. It came with a leather sheath and has been in my pocket for at least 15 years. The soft section is great, especially if you strangle the pen, as so many lefties seem to.

I was taught in school to "hook over" from an early stage, and it has worked fine with both pencils and mechanical pencils. I have never owned a truly luxurious pen, like Fisher, Zebra etc. because i found myself smearing my hand and the text while writing longer texts with cheap pens, and didn't want to spend the money on a better made, 'cause i thought it wouldn't make a difference.

I will look into getting myself a Fisher Bullet pen, I have been considering it for a while. Thanks for the reply and have a nice day.

#4 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:21 AM

I've been using Zebra Suraris since the day they released, and continue to love them. Acts like a gel, dries (almost) like a ballpoint, wonderful for us lefties. I haven't checked out the new Z-Mulsion versions as I'm still stocked up on these guys, but I hear they're just as good.

• Andrew Cohen likes this

#5 Andrew Cohen

Andrew Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMonterey/Santa Cruz border, California

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

Mikey's above post had me getting out my bundle of pens that are not fountain pens from the desk. I checked the Zebra Sarasa, which when rubbed immediately after writing only smeared a very little bit. I then checked the Zebra G-301 gel. Very nice writing pen, and when I wrote with it at normal speed and dragged my hand through what I'd just laid down, no smudging. If I wrote and followed immediately with a finger rub, it smudged a tiny bit like the Sarasa. HTH.

#6 Heather

Heather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:44 PM

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads, but fountain pens are still quite doable as a southpaw. I used quick dry inks (I recommend Private Reserve's quick dry line for great color choices, actual quick drying time and reasonable prices) and Lamy Safaris or Lamy Al-Stars with fine or extra fine point nibs. Total entry fee is low ($25 for the $7-8 for the bottle of ink) and you have a lefty friendly fountain pen with which to build your fountain pen obsession.

• Mikey Bautista likes this

#7 Mr_Garth

Mr_Garth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

Granted, I don't write a lot with pens these days but all of my t-pens seem to work for me, no smearing.

I carry one of the following with me practically every day: CRKT Williams, Benchmade, Sahara Sailor, PKTP BG, MTech, Schrade, Cold Steel Pocket Shark.

So maybe, one of these would work for OP as well?

EDIT: OK: noticed that I've just digged up quite an old thread :(

-Garth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users