62 replies to this topic

#41 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

Hey guys! I follow a Youtuber named Steve Montelli, who is (like me) interested in minimalist wallets. Recently he made a video about him making wallets. When I watched the video, I thought the design was very clever- so, I made my own! Let me know what you think! Any tips on improving my leatherworking would be appreciated!

P.S. I haven't burnished the edges yet as I ran out of gum tragacanth. 

Attached Files

#42 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

That's pretty slick.  I might have to try making one of those myself.  Nice work, sir!

One tiny little minor thing... your stitches are puckering a little.  I wonder if maybe you're not pulling them a little tight?  Other than that, it's a cool piece.

• Mason Delpino likes this

#43 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

Thank you! When you say they're puckering out, do you mean they're sticking out? I thought maybe I might have been pulling the thread too tight, because it sort of pills on the leather and bunches it up a bit. It may also be the crappy, bulky, heavily waxed thread I was using. I'll experiment and see how it goes! Thanks!!

#44 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Thank you! When you say they're puckering out, do you mean they're sticking out? I thought maybe I might have been pulling the thread too tight, because it sort of pills on the leather and bunches it up a bit. It may also be the crappy, bulky, heavily waxed thread I was using. I'll experiment and see how it goes! Thanks!!

I was referring to the bunching up.  That usually happens to me when I pull the thread too tightly.  Do you use some kind of "3rd hand" or stitching pony to hold the piece while you're stitching it?  I've found that having something to hold the piece flat and steady really helps me to keep my stitching straight and flat.  (I don't use anything fancy... I just sandwich the workpiece between two pieces of 2"x 18" x 1/8" flat bar and hold it all together with a deep-throat U clamp.  I'll post a pic if I can get one.)

#45 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Gotcha! I'll try not to pull too hard on the needles for my next project! I simply use a vise to hold my projects

#46 jonathan jone

jonathan jone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

I think when I was younger, I made myself a furry key chain.  The fur was made out of a rabbit's fur.  I believe it was a small pink fur puff.  What I did was cut a small piece of rabbit's fur, put the gold ring on top, and that was my key chain.  

#47 jonathan jone

jonathan jone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:22 PM

I can remember when I was younger and on vacation.  We would go to our favorite store that we have been to for so many years.  When I opened the door, the smell of leather overwhelmed me and it made me want to look into the store more and shop more.  I bought at that store a small leather purse and some leather shoes.  I also even bought a small rabbits foot that was white rabbit fur on a gold key chain.  I love leather and always will love it.  

#48 jonathan jone

jonathan jone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:05 PM

I love the smell of leather and the fact that you can hand sew it in order to make some things are great.  One of the things that I would like to hand sew would be a pair of gloves. I love the black leather that is so soft to the touch and I would sew the gloves together.  I might even put pieces of rabbits fur inside of it.  I love leather.  

#49 jonathan jone

jonathan jone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

I love anything leather.  For Christmas, I received a nice hand-sewn bookmark.  It also has my initials on the bookmark.  I love my bookmarks; especially the smell of the leather because it keeps my place of what I am reading.  

#50 jonathan jone

jonathan jone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

I love leather; especially in a coat.  It smells so good.  I really like sewn leather coat because it makes me feel happy to wear it.  

#51 John L Coulter

John L Coulter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:27 AM

Greetings all,
I am new here and just came across this post. I have been creating custom leather cases, sheaths and holsters for several years now and....I wont hijack the thread with my work but I can steer all those interested in doing some leather work themselves to an excellent forum with extremely helpful friendly and experienced members. Check out this forum:

http://leatherworker.net/content/

you can also got to the Tandy Leather library web site

http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/

and look at their tutorial materials. lots of free videos. And iit is well worth investing in 2 books if you want to learn from the best and both are available electronically from Tandy... I still refer to them as do many even more seasoned makers....

Hand sewing (and much more)
https://www.leatherc...l-stohlman.aspx

Cases (first of 3 and this is the best for basics)
https://www.leatherc...l-stohlman.aspx

I would love to answer any questions you may have to get you started on this most rewarding hobby(obsession).

John and Chris nice work both of you. My only first observation would be to look into creasing, burnishing and finishing your edges...it really adds a "complete" feel to any project.

The rule is if you like it then it is a good project. It is an incredibly personal craft and I have seen the same patter/project by two fellas and they have a world of different feel to them. and all of mine seem to go out with some "Persian flaw" to remind me I am not the perfect one. Love to see more of you creations lads,

I am in Thailand at the moment and trying to get into leathercraft when I get back to the US. I have a Tandy leather shop about 45 minutes away. What's your thoughts on Tandy?
Cheers

#52 Jerry Pruitt

Jerry Pruitt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 12:32 AM

I have seen and done some learher work myself and with all the tools out there for leather projects you got to have patients, the money and nothing else but time with a little imagination. Good work!

#53 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

I recently started messing around with some leather projects. All just for personal use.

notebookslip.jpg

• olmo likes this

#54 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

bicslip3.jpg

#55 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

sheath.jpg

Weathered look sheath made with Saddle Leather and patina'd brass studs to give the desired effect. It's my 'grey man' sheath :)

#56 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:14 PM

A horizontal traditional sheath which is my current EDC.

hsheath_4.jpg

hsheath_5.jpg

hsheath.jpg

Still not perfect, I tightened up the loop after taking the picture above to stop it bowing out near the front but I could do with making a new one with the loop sewn in nearer the opening.

#57 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

My most ambitious project to date, a horizontal sheath for a Leatherman.

lmsheath_4.jpg

lmsheath_2.jpg

lmsheath_1.jpg

All the above projects (aside for the weathered sheath) were using Horween Derby leather. Equipment is basic, needles, tigre thread, an awl, hole marking wheel and groover. Oh and my Northwoods Whittler for cutting the leather. :)

• Ryan likes this

#58 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

I forgot this one, also saddle leather, a pouch for my Leatherman bits, a pry tool and pencil.

lmlove_3.jpg

#59 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

I forgot this one, also saddle leather, a pouch for my Leatherman bits, a pry tool and pencil.

lmlove_3.jpg

2 letters for all this:

B.A.
!!!!!!!!!

#60 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

2 letters for all this:

B.A.
!!!!!!!!!

British Airways? I'm afraid Google isn't showing me anything else for this acronym. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, leather, axe, pouch, FAK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users