• Mason Delpino likes this

#22 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, Mel! I think I'm going to experiment with a wallet a la Lean Essentials :P

• Chris York likes this

#23 SavageX

SavageX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

This is all really cool! Ive, been wanting to make a few things myself but don't have any tools. What would I need to get started with cutting and sewing leather?

#24 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Greetings all,

I am new here and just came across this post. I have been creating custom leather cases, sheaths and holsters for several years now and....I wont hijack the thread with my work but I can steer all those interested in doing some leather work themselves to an excellent forum with extremely helpful friendly and experienced members. Check out this forum:

http://leatherworker.net/content/

you can also got to the Tandy Leather library web site

http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/

and look at their tutorial materials. lots of free videos. And iit is well worth investing in 2 books if you want to learn from the best and both are available electronically from Tandy... I still refer to them as do many even more seasoned makers....

Hand sewing (and much more)

https://www.leatherc...l-stohlman.aspx

Cases (first of 3 and this is the best for basics)

https://www.leatherc...l-stohlman.aspx

I would love to answer any questions you may have to get you started on this most rewarding hobby(obsession).

John and Chris nice work both of you. My only first observation would be to look into creasing, burnishing and finishing your edges...it really adds a "complete" feel to any project.

The rule is if you like it then it is a good project. It is an incredibly personal craft and I have seen the same patter/project by two fellas and they have a world of different feel to them. and all of mine seem to go out with some "Persian flaw" to remind me I am not the perfect one. Love to see more of you creations lads,

• Mason Delpino, Chris York and Tabasco like this

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#25 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:23 PM

Couple of simple projects with some chrome-tanned leather remnants...

Front-pocket wallet

5d123bd1-eeb7-483f-ba32-77b19a7f26c7_zps

"Pocket protector"/notebook holder

0e5fa17b-82e1-4fb0-871c-c562ffe07440_zps

• Dom and SavageX like this

#26 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:49 PM

Neat stuff, Hand or machine sewn? Hard to tell from the pictures.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#27 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:49 AM

Neat stuff, Hand or machine sewn? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Thanks!  They're hand-sewn.  The leather is that stuff that you can get from Hobby Lobby in the 1# and 3# bags... not too thick, so it's fairly easy to sew.

#28 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

Here's a few unsolicited tips on hand stitching:

-Use a compass from a geometry set to run a light line equal distance from the finished edge all round to keep the stich lien straight and even from the edge.

-Also if you are going to do more order what's called an overstitch wheel (if you haven't already) which you run along the line and it impresses equal spaced marks to help you keep the stitch spacing uniform.

Are you using a double need saddle stitch or a single needle (or stitching awl)  lock stitch?

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#29 Guest_Pete_*

Guest_Pete_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Here's a few unsolicited tips on hand stitching:

-Use a compass from a geometry set to run a light line equal distance from the finished edge all round to keep the stich lien straight and even from the edge.

-Also if you are going to do more order what's called an overstitch wheel (if you haven't already) which you run along the line and it impresses equal spaced marks to help you keep the stitch spacing uniform.

Are you using a double need saddle stitch or a single needle (or stitching awl)  lock stitch?

Thank you.  Advice is always appreciated.  Saves me some bruises. :)

I did actually use a combo square and a seamstress' tracing wheel (fabric version of the overstitch wheel) to make stitch-line marks.  My stitching wanders a bit because I didn't pre-punch the leather.  I figured since the leather's soft and thin enough, I'll just push the needles through (helped by pliers).  I did just use plain ol' sewing needles and polyester thread, and did a double-needle saddle stitch.  I cut the leather pieces with an x-acto knife, and I used the corners of my pocket notebook as a template for the corner radii.  I even improvised a stitching pony with a vise and a couple of chunks of 1x2 lumber.  Hack job?  You bet!  :lol:

What I'll probably do is invest in a pricking wheel, because it looks like it would be sharp enough to actually put the holes into the leather that I'm using.  I doubt that I'll get into serious leather work like yours, but I should get a couple of good basic tools.

#30 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

Very creative solutions.

With the thinner chrome tanned garment leather I find a few thing also help. Glue the edges before sewing, then cut with a rotary cutter, then stitch.

Good work on the stitching pony.

Pricking wheel may not make the holes you need but worth a try on the thinner leather - it sometimes helps to dampen the seem line before wheeling it.

No harm in investing in a small awl.

As I have said with leather projects if you like it is good! and if you enjoyed making it you are doing it just fine. I look forward to seeing more of you  work.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#31 Peter H

Peter H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

Cool projects everyone! Here's my front pocket wallet. (also posts under Wallets). To prepunch sewing holes I traced the design onto the leather, taped it to a 2x4 and pounded brads through it. I've since gotten a hand punch but its smallest holesize is still pretty big like 1.5mm

Attached Files

#32 Chris York

Chris York

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLondon, Blighty

Posted 27 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

Attached File  IMG_1734.jpg   177.13KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1735.jpg   192.3KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1736.jpg   189.12KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1737.JPG   189.66KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1815.JPG   136.13KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1816.JPG   126.6KB   0 downloads

Here the couple of pieces i made the other day guys, please let me know what you think?

Hope everyone is good. Stay safe.

• Murray Oliver likes this

#33 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

Very nice. As a tip I would dampen the edges of the watch strap and then rub with a piece of old denim or canvas to burnish them a little. tricky with thin cuts but use the edge of the table... takes the fuzz off.
Nice Maker's mark. Here are mine.

Attached Files

• Chris York likes this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#34 Chris York

Chris York

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLondon, Blighty

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Very nice. As a tip I would dampen the edges of the watch strap and then rub with a piece of old denim or canvas to burnish them a little. tricky with thin cuts but use the edge of the table... takes the fuzz off.
Nice Maker's mark. Here are mine.

I shall definitely be giving this a try!

Cheers

#35 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

Well done.I just recently got into leatherwork myself,lots of learning along the way but it's worth it cause nothing really beats the look of custom hand stitched leather.Cant wait to see your completed belt man!

#36 Patrik Henriksson

Patrik Henriksson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hi fellow carriers! 

I posted my first EDC a few days ago (howbout searching for "MyGodthatsalottaleather EDC" and Like it :) ...if you like it), and was asked by a member to post more pictures (of one of the items in particular). As essentially my entire carry consist of home made hand-sewn leather items, I figured I'd post the pics here, and maybe at the same time revive the thread a bit.  :)  I'm merely a hobby leather worker, and my work can't in any way compete with some of the other stuff I've seen here, but still, I hope you enjoy it. 

Attached Files

• Roxie Hodge and Mightor like this

#37 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

welcome all you new and experienced leatherworkers!

the stuff all looks great and I am always amazed that 2 makers can have a god at basically the same project and the character of each comes through in the work. It is a highly personal material and craft.

A great resource is leatherworker.net

You can search posts fro all kinds of beginner to advance information. The Al Stohlman books from Tandy are invaluable as well.

I started back into leather a few years ago first off to make an Epipen case for my son that would be cool enough to wear. Then I made a few more myself and moved into other "special cases" and airgun and PBgun leather.

I am always amazed at the way leather can be worked around an object either by "molding" or "folding".

We have folks here now who make classic wallets, card cases, bags, packs, belt cases, sheaths, holsters....both the hobbyist and folks who are making a go of it commercially and in-between (Jobbyists like myself).

Maybe a forum for EDC leather goods?

John am eager to watch your bat-belt move from vision to reality. Please keep us informed and if you have any questions about the craft post them in what ever seems like the most appropriate forum and those of use a little further down the path may be able to shed some light for you and share our lessons learned.

And you can make baby stuff too!

• Roxie Hodge likes this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#38 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

New wallet I made with leather I just got.

I think I'm improving, especially with the limited tools I have to work with! The leather smells amazing, and it's more satisfying to carry than any wallet I've just bought!

Attached File  20160522_231425.jpg   69.76KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160522_231517.jpg   95.35KB   0 downloads

• Roxie Hodge likes this

#39 Roxie Hodge

Roxie Hodge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

Looks good, dude!

• Mason Delpino likes this

#40 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

I'm running an activity called "Leather" here when I'm in-camp (though I leave tomorrow with the kids to hike Mount Washington for 5 days), and I made a leather valet box (for my keys, wallet and knife to sit in when I go to bed at night). The one pictured here is actually one I made for a kid, however. I'll post pictures of the one I made for myself later!

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, leather, axe, pouch, FAK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users