Blacksmithing

23 replies to this topic

#21 George Sopko

George Sopko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

I took a BS class, it was hard work and it would have required another expenditure in tools and materials for yet another hobby. It would be better to look for a local BS "guild". Even in the DC area there are quite a few. Once place, out in Carroll County MD even has knife making classes. The cost was not that much but you learn the basics and whether or not you actually want to pursue it.

Next house, if its an actual house and not a townhouse, I might pursue BS at home or more readily.

• Stupendous Walrus and Chris Szaroleta like this

#22 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

I took a BS class, it was hard work and it would have required another expenditure in tools and materials for yet another hobby. It would be better to look for a local BS "guild". Even in the DC area there are quite a few. Once place, out in Carroll County MD even has knife making classes. The cost was not that much but you learn the basics and whether or not you actually want to pursue it.

Next house, if its an actual house and not a townhouse, I might pursue BS at home or more readily.

That'll be awesome, George!

Don't forget to make an introduction post here in the forums.  :)

#23 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

That's cool George!
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#24 Airth

Airth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

In beginning blacksmithing, there are few questions to ask yourself first:

- What is my budget?

- What will I make?

- How much room do I have?

- Will I be able to expand?

- Are there any fire or noise ordinances I need to be aware of?

Although simple, these questions will help you target what type of forge you might set up.  Will you be running a coal, charcoal, wood, or gas-fired forge?  Will you have a Bernoulli burner or bellows setup?  Will you be making candle holders and squirrel cookers, or exclusively knives?  If you're getting into the industry and want to expand your tool inventory or forge size, do you have room to expand or will you need to keep a small footprint?  Setting up a shop from scratch can be daunting, and the price of a good anvil is usually enough to discourage most folks.  As others have stated, I highly recommend seeking out a local Smithing guild, join an online forum, or find someone already doing it semi-professionally to learn the trade and key techniques before investing a lot of time and money into something which may not hold your interest.  Most of all, don't let it be a pipe dream--get started!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users