• Chris Szaroleta likes this

#2 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:56 PM

No, but something I would love to learn more about....and one day have a go at :) be awesome to create sharpen and polish your own knife !
  • Stupendous Walrus, John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#3 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

Exactly! It's very inexpensive to start up as an amateur.

#4 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

Never, but it's something I think I'll try in the mid-future.  My Father-in-law has a forge, lathe and other fantastic toys on his farm, so when I get more free time I'll ask him to show me how it all works.

A friend of mine sent me this video on an inexpensive forge to melt aluminium  - definitely something I'd like to try.

• Stupendous Walrus and John B. like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#5 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:03 AM

You can set up a whole amateur rig for virtually nothing by repurposing a few items. Get a few essential tools and you can start your new hobby by making other tools you may need.
  • Glen likes this

#6 John

John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMendocino CA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Im lucky enough to have a pretty great drop in blacksmithing class in my towns art center... I've yet to have spare time to go, my daughter is only 8 months old so she takes up most of my day! My cousin goes every other week and has made a bunch of stuff! My favorite was a bell made out of a old chunk of steel pipe... I love that she found something in the scrap pile and made it into a beautiful piece of art!

• Glen, Stupendous Walrus, John B. and 2 others like this

#7 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

Im lucky enough to have a pretty great drop in blacksmithing class in my towns art center... I've yet to have spare time to go, my daughter is only 8 months old so she takes up most of my day! My cousin goes every other week and has made a bunch of stuff! My favorite was a bell made out of a old chunk of steel pipe... I love that she found something in the scrap pile and made it into a beautiful piece of art!

That's the most appealing thing to me: taking an old hunk of scrap metal and breathing life into it as a new thing.

Sounds cool. Hopefully you can get out to a class.
  • John B. likes this

#8 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

Awesome thread, Walrus.  I would love to get into this...perhaps when the wife and I move onto a larger plot of land.  

Dave Canterbury's YouTube page (Wilderness Outfitters) has an entire series on Blacksmithing, up to and including how to make your own forge for next to nothing.  Click that first ink back there to be taken to his blacksmithing specific playlist, or the second one to see the video where he makes his forge..

• Stupendous Walrus and John B. like this

#9 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Awesome thread, Walrus.  I would love to get into this...perhaps when the wife and I move onto a larger plot of land.  

Dave Canterbury's YouTube page (Wilderness Outfitters) has an entire series on Blacksmithing, up to and including how to make your own forge for next to nothing.  Click that first ink back there to be taken to his blacksmithing specific playlist, or the second one to see the video where he makes his forge..

Great vids. My problem echos yours. I live in a residential area with roommates, and the garage is always full of crap, tools and wood. I'm currently working on tracking down a length of railroad track as a trial anvil.
  • John B. likes this

#10 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

Great vids. My problem echos yours. I live in a residential area with roommates, and the garage is always full of crap, tools and wood. I'm currently working on tracking down a length of railroad track as a trial anvil.

That's a "stupendous" idea, good sir!

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#11 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

That's a "stupendous" idea, good sir!

If only it were mine. Lots of smithies say it's the next best thing to a proper anvil. I've seen videos of them being used and they seem to work a treat. Obviously we're talking novice stuff here.

#12 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

When I was younger I went to farrier school and learned blacksmithing. I did it as a side job for about 8 or so years before calling it quits. Too hard on my back. still have my anvil after all these years. I bought it used from someone that got it from his grandfather,  had it resurfaced and the horn reformed. Hard as diamond and rings like a bell with a hammer strike. 

• Glen, Duff72, Stupendous Walrus and 2 others like this

#13 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Cool stuff coldwater!

#14 Alex F

Alex F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:03 AM

if this thread gets any manlier it will collapse on itself

• Glen, Stupendous Walrus, John B. and 2 others like this

#15 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:11 PM

If it helps, I'm waiting to burn down a bit more firewood from the garage so I have room for a forge. Then I'll use the rest of the wood in said forge.

I have some old tools and scrap metal that I could bash into something useful.
  • Duff72 and Chris Szaroleta like this

#16 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:23 PM

HA!!!   :lol:

#17 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

skip the railroad length, it doesn't have a horn or a tail, look for a VIKING ANVIL, the search engine of choice should show you some images of a small anvil the bottom of which is a spike.  You sink that spike into a stump or a wide stable log, and get hitting.  with anvils its the shipping that kills you.  I also don't really recommend a wood fired forge, Although my experience is mainly on coal, the bitch with solid fuel is steady steady steady airflow.  The forge I worked on had a crank bellows, and because it was older than WW1 it was a heavy bitch.  the owner of that forge eventually called BS, and ripped it apart, installing a heat&shrink gun[a hairdryer] and after that even though it was a coal forge, it was a lot hotter and easier to use.  MODERNBLACKSMITH on the youtube has a video showing a $39.99 forge build.  It uses a bathroom fan for airflow. He says, and he's not wrong- use an old truck break drum as the pan.  

GOUGH CUSTOM has an awesome video! a time lapse of making a knife using everyday materials.  He does the heat treat with two blowtorches and some firebricks, but thats BLADE SMITHING, which is not black smithing.  Blacksmiths work with iron, blade smiths with blade and tool steel.  this is a walk before you fly sort of thing.  I've made a knife from a blank, but never out of the forge, and that was with a lot of help.  

• Stupendous Walrus, Marc and Chris Szaroleta like this

#18 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

GOUGH CUSTOM has an awesome video! a time lapse of making a knife using everyday materials. He does the heat treat with two blowtorches and some firebricks, but thats BLADE SMITHING, which is not black smithing. Blacksmiths work with iron, blade smiths with blade and tool steel. this is a walk before you fly sort of thing. I've made a knife from a blank, but never out of the forge, and that was with a lot of help.

As a big fan of quality fixed blades, I'm in love with this guy's passion for building knives. His research and testing involved is phenomenal. I'm on his waitlist to order one, but it's well over a year out.
  • Marc likes this

#19 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

My trailer mounted forge was a coal forge / bellows. It never gave me any reason to curse it, but then, I forged shoes from mild steel raw bar (no iron) a couple kicks on the bellows and it fired quick. I sold the entire unit, but kept the ancient anvil. I would have to look long and hard to find another one like it. It was good when it was made, and 5,000,000 hammer blows just made it better. 

#20 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

This is all fantastic advice!! Thanks all. I am actually familiar with Gough Customs and have seen some of his videos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users