#1 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hello fellow EDCs,

I'm in need of some advice and/or recommendations. Here's my situation:

I'm 34, married, family, career as a construction safety director. On average I travel a few times per year, typically by car but maybe by plane on average once every year or two. Travel is usually personal but sometimes for business. The more I get into EDC, the more I realize how much my current "luggage" doesn't cut it anymore.

For my main travel bag, I've been using an REI Flash 30 pack:

DpjYzVD.jpg

It used to be fine, when all I needed were a few t-shirts, shorts, undies, and a small bag for toiletries. But the bag falls short these days. I need more space, and I need to be able to properly fold and carry dress shirts and/or a suit with me as well. This bag also has no secure way of carrying a laptop or a tablet. Organization stinks, because it's basically just a giant stuff sack, so there is no organization.

Here's what I want:

Two bags, one a standard size carry-on wheeled luggage piece, and the other a "personal item" size bag capable of carrying a tablet, some charger cords, a pad of paper (doesn't have to be full letter size), a portable battery charger (nothing huge), etc.

I'm thinking that anytime I travel, whether by plane or by car, I can pack all my clothes and laptop in the carry-on size bag which I'll stow in the overhead bins or trunk, and then the personal item bag I'll keep with me at my seat. That way I can easily use my tablet, pull out the pad and paper if I want to write, and have access to my chargers and headphones.

I just need recommendations on the two items. So far I like the Osprey Meridian Wheeled Luggage for $340 for the wheeled luggage portion, but I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to go over $330 for the budget though. And I don't have anything in mind yet for the smaller, personal item for my tablet/accessories, so I definitely need recommendations there.

Thanks!

#2 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

I need to think about your situation more but in the meantime explore this site and its buying guide. http://www.carryology.com/

It should give you a good idea of what else is out there. They have a great review system. 

Here is one to start with - http://www.carryolog...-travel-system/ with a fantastic video review - http://www.carryolog...-travel-system/

#3 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

Hi Franklion - 

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean I should think about my situation more? I feel like I have a pretty clear idea of what I want to be able to do. But maybe I'm missing something?

#4 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Hey Brian, I said I need to think about it more, not you ;) Basically saying I don't have time at the moment to think of some good suggestions for you. 

#5 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

Doh! Sorry about that.  :)

For what it's worth, I've liked some of the EDC posts I've seen the Maxpedition organizers, or the Grid-It organizers. I like the compactness of those. Something that size would be able to keep what I want in it, without a ton of extra unneeded space, and could easily slide under the seat in front of me when needed on a plane. If it helps for the "personal item" bag I'm looking for, here's everything that I think I'd want to keep in it:

• iPad Air Tablet
  • 2-3 USB cables
  • A single Apple power adapter block (120V plug to USB power)
  • Anker 8400mAh portable battery
  • A Moleskine (or similar type) paper pad, either the 8.25" x 5" size or smaller
  • Earbuds
  • Fisher space pen

Optional:

• Spork (eating utensil)
  • 5' or so of paracord
  • Altoids tin

I think that's about it, hope that helps. Again, all of that stuff is what I'd like to be able to carry in the smaller of the two bags I'm looking for. Thanks!

#6 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

Check out The Northface's laptop/tablet collection. They have lay flat capabilities so you don't have to remove your laptop during TSA screening. The compartments are designed for tablets and phones,all fleeced lined. Some have power supplies built in. I own the Surge and I love it.
https://www.thenorth...t%2BSleeve%2522

#7 James

James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

Doh! Sorry about that.   :)

For what it's worth, I've liked some of the EDC posts I've seen the Maxpedition organizers, or the Grid-It organizers. I like the compactness of those. Something that size would be able to keep what I want in it, without a ton of extra unneeded space, and could easily slide under the seat in front of me when needed on a plane. If it helps for the "personal item" bag I'm looking for, here's everything that I think I'd want to keep in it:

• iPad Air Tablet
  • 2-3 USB cables
  • A Moleskine (or similar type) paper pad, either the 8.25" x 5" size or smaller
  • Earbuds
  • Fisher space pen

Optional:

• Spork (eating utensil)
  • 5' or so of paracord
  • Altoids tin

I think that's about it, hope that helps. Again, all of that stuff is what I'd like to be able to carry in the smaller of the two bags I'm looking for. Thanks!

If that's all you're looking to carry in your personal item, I would consider the Knomad organizer by Knomo

http://www.knomobags...eeve-black.html

I use their mini one right now while traveling and it can easily hold all of your required plus optional items.

I'll post my carry for my Knomad later tonight when I get back to my hotel so you can see one loaded out for yourself.

#8 James

James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

Doh! Sorry about that.   :)

• iPad Air Tablet
  • 2-3 USB cables
  • Earbuds
  • Fisher space pen

Optional:

• Spork (eating utensil)
  • 5' or so of paracord
  • Altoids tin

If that's all you're looking to carry in your personal item, I would consider the Knomad organizer by Knomo

http://www.knomobags...eeve-black.html

I use their mini one right now while traveling and it can easily hold all of your required plus optional items.

I'll post my carry for my Knomad later tonight when I get back to my hotel so you can see one loaded out for yourself.

Sorry it took me so long to get this in. Here's my load out in the Knomad if you're curious.

http://everydaycarry...e-in-hand-carry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users