TSA Security Screening

11 replies to this topic

#1 Raincheck

Raincheck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

I'm rather frustrated at the congestion and removal of every friggen thing when I go through security at the airport.

Removal of Coats and Jackets, Water Bottle, Laptop, Belt and shoes. Phones, wallets etc.

I'm wondering if and how any of you make it through quickly without it taking more than 5 minutes to "disrobe", which causes me to become very unorganized.

#2 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

streamlining or prepping while in line,

FWIW, I pack really lightly...

empty water bottle, pack wallet in carry on,

only ID and boarding pass in hand, so ID and phone.

wear pants that don't need a belt?

also really depends on where I'm headed, 3/4 my gear is usually a no go on an airplane, and I'm not paying to check a bag

• TonySal likes this
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#3 Shaun D

Shaun D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationI come from a land down under

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:15 AM

I find wearing a belt on a plane is super uncomfortable so i either wear one that has no metal in it or not at all. Everything else goes in the backpack with the exception of the laptop which goes in the scanner.

In Aus we dont need to remove shoes all the time, only if they are steel capped boots. So that does help a bit but i tend to glide through security pretty quickly these days either way.

• David Bowtell likes this

#4 Ephie

Ephie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

If you travel with any kind of frequency, I would highly recommend signing up for Global Entry  

http://www.cbp.gov/t...ms/global-entry

http://www.forbes.co...y/#6b4826b52190

If you fly internationally you have expedited/automated customs screening upon returning to the U.S..

Domestically, while each airport has their own specific rules, most major ones have a shorter, TSA pre-check line, which often don't require you to remove shoes or laptops from bags

• SrLongBeach likes this

#5 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:07 PM

When I used to travel for business a lot I always wore a light jacket or vest with lots of pockets and just took it off and let them run it through with everything in the pockets. And as has been said cut down on the personal carry items as far as possible.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#6 Raincheck

Raincheck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the input. 

#7 J Keating

J Keating

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

Sewing cordage into those hollow areas of fabric also help.  All my polos have at least 25' of 550 cordage sewn into them.  Great way to conceal emergency cordage that you may need in a pinch. 

#8 FSTP

FSTP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Sewing cordage into those hollow areas of fabric also help.  All my polos have at least 25' of 550 cordage sewn into them.  Great way to conceal emergency cordage that you may need in a pinch. 

How do you get it out? can you get it out without a blade?

#9 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:04 AM

I would recommend against any "James Bond" kind of hidden stuff on your person or in your carry-on stuff. If the screener finds it and it raises their curiosity you could be in for a much longer inspection, slowing you down even more. I used to carry two or three large zip ties in my carry-on (you know, to secure my bag...right?) until it caught the eye of a screener. What followed was a trip to the small room, emptying everything out of my back pack, everything gone through and questioned. No Bueno. Made my flight but not worth the hassle.

#10 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

I've resigned myself to the fact that government will restrict my movements or freedom if I don't fully comply with their insanity when I travel. Sadly, it means that I usually go without my creature comforts, or check my bag. I'm multi state legal to carry a firearm, so it usually comes with, but it is a hassle. As far as carry on, as others have said, I pack light. No liquids or metal bits, and in the front zipper pouch of my bag, I carry my ear buds, GPS, card holder, watch and power cords in a big zip lock bag,  along with my ipad mini. That reduces my load out to basically 3 items to remove. The bag of stuff, phone and ipad,  theWhen I hit the block, I unzip and toss those items into the bin. I wear a wedding ring, and also a gold crucifix on a chain around my neck. Those things never come off. 

As a side note / story, I had a late afternoon flight a few years back, and decidid I would reload a couple hundred rounds of .45 before I hit the road to kill some time. When I hit the checkpoint, who do you think they picked at random to do an explosives check on? SUGGESTION...don't handle any explosive materials before flying...Trust me.

#11 Wes

Wes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:36 AM

As I have no other choice but air travel, I carry a small backpack (currently a Maxpedition rollypolly dlx) with pocket contents (flashlight, pen, money clip, wallet, eyeglass kit, phone) in a ziplock bag, toiletries prepacked into ziplock bag, medicines in a ziplock bag, a change of clothing, blood pressure meter, glucose kit, fleece blanket, small first aid kit in ziplock bag, paperwork and travel docs in ziplock bag, snacks in a ziplock bag. Belt and small pouch gets removed while in line and attached to backpack, shoes removed and run thru scanner. Pockets empty. Generally get thru in 5 min once I reach the machines. Also, I don't use any bag that has seen a trip to the range.

#12 International Man Of Mystery

International Man Of Mystery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

I highly recommend the QUEST vest from ScottEVest! 42 pockets to hold everything big and small!

I wear mine with pockets laden - then hit the security area - hang on to my passport and boarding pass and lay the vest in a tray. Go through screening - put on vest and walk away.

Trust me - it really is that easy - no carryon and boarding/disembarking is super easy and fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users