Orient ray

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Messer

Chris Messer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

Anybody own an Orient ray ? if so how is the lume, timekeeping and, and anything else. got my tax return so I'm about to buy the rubber strap version and switch it out for a nicer band, and a NATO strap. any information would be great

#2 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi Chris - I bought one a few years back and don't think it is any better than the Seiko SKX series which I own two of (009 & 173). I don't like the extra button that is there just to change the date when unscrewing the crown slightly on most other automatics gets it done. I never wear the thing. The crystal scratches pretty easily as well. I would get a Seiko SKX007 of instead if you can swing it. Just an honest opinion.

#3 Chris Messer

Chris Messer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hi Chris - I bought one a few years back and don't think it is any better than the Seiko SKX series which I own two of (009 & 173). I don't like the extra button that is there just to change the date when unscrewing the crown slightly on most other automatics gets it done. I never wear the thing. The crystal scratches pretty easily as well. I would get a Seiko SKX007 of instead if you can swing it. Just an honest opinion.

Ive just ordered the Mako USA from orient , solid endlinks, sapphire glass, and updated lume, so ill see how it goes. but thanks for the input ! i appreciate that.

#4 Adam Douglas

Adam Douglas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

I have three Orients and have been wearing that brand for about 8 years, as well as owning several Seikos.

Orient Pros:
Cost is quite reasonable
Nice looking designs
Reliable movements

Orient Cons:
Lume is sub-standard, never very bright
Divers watches are not as "serious" as the Citizen or Seiko divers'

I bought a Mako five years ago and sold it immediately. I agree with Arnie, the extra crown was a silly addition. Also, the lume was terrible and I actually wanted to go scuba diving with it, and I wouldn't be able to see the dial under water. I bought a Citizen dive watch instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users