Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

latest films you have seen and can recommend to other members!

new film recommendation!

151 replies to this topic

#21 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Walrus, you're giving way too much credit to Hollywood! I'm confident those folks only have an understanding of the importance of money, not anything logical or realistic like historic accuracy or patriotism. Hollywood is no stranger to taking "artistic" liberties. We may be in the minority, but some of us don't believe everything we see in the movies :)
Except Batman, that's 100% true and accurate. Oh, and the Die Hard movies too (really any Bruce Willis movie). And James Bond. All coincidently solid EDCers. Everything else Hollywood totally fake.

Two Bruce Willis movies that tend to get overlooked on his impressive resumé are the two that I love the most.  The super hokey, but really fun, Hudson Hawk, and the totally kick@$$ action flick, The Last Boy Scout.

• Duff72 likes this

#22 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:59 AM

Cool hand luke is old movie but I love it . A top 10 for me.
  • Glen, Stupendous Walrus and Dom like this

#23 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:46 PM

Cool hand luke is old movie but I love it . A top 10 for me.

"What we have here is failure to communicate!"

Top 10 for me too. Also include The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

#24 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Paul Newman was basically perfect. I got about 4 minutes in Cloud Atlas the other day. Will give it another shot later, but I wasn't digging ot.

Has anyone seen American Sniper?

#25 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

Reading Cloud Atlas was...difficult. I quite enjoyed the movie, though, but then again I'm kind of biased to Tom Hanks.

I'm about 1/3 into American Sniper myself, but as far as military shows/movies, my favorite so far are Lone Survivor and Strike Back, the latter of which I found while researching G-Shocks in the military. Very meaty in the military/tactics department, as well.

#26 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:11 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing Birdman.  Has anyone seen it yet?

#27 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

For anyone who has seen the Bourne series movies, but not read the books, I highly recommend the books. The movies were based loosely on the story and more just on the character. The books develeop both the character and the story much more deeply. If you enjoy tacticians, espionage, spying, etc, then you'll enjoy the books.
  • John B. and Mikey Bautista like this

#28 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:13 AM

Also, book-Bourne wore a Seiko.  B)

• Dom likes this

#29 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

John Wick - unless you dont like constant action , high body count, and extreme violence. I am not a Keanu Reeves fan but it was a very good movie.
  • Plumblucky1 likes this

#30 Alex F

Alex F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:24 AM

The grand Budapest hotel, which was astoundingly good.

#31 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Paul Newman was basically perfect. I got about 4 minutes in Cloud Atlas the other day. Will give it another shot later, but I wasn't digging ot.

Has anyone seen American Sniper?

The wife and I saw American Sniper a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent! Not many films will render the audience completely quiet at the end. You couldn't even hear the seats in the theater raise back up after people got up. It was a little bit of an eerie feeling, but you knew that it was out of respect for Chris Kyle and the countless others that have given up so much for us. 

#32 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

Two Bruce Willis movies that tend to get overlooked on his impressive resumé are the two that I love the most. The super hokey, but really fun, Hudson Hawk, and the totally kick@$$ action flick, The Last Boy Scout.

Funny, I just picked up a Bruce Willis 3 pack with 12 Monkeys, The Jackyl and something else that I don't have in front of me. 12 Monkeys was a great one.

You know how I feel about horror movies, Walrus. Cabin in the Woods is a FANTASTIC modern day horror film. It blends an insanely well written script (for the genre) with humor, good acting, awesome directing and plenty of scares. It's one of the few movies I recommend to anyone who wants to be a casual "scary" movie fan.

I don't want to hijack James' thread with horror talk, but for anyone who's a fan of the 1982 Tobe Hooper directed Poltergeist (one of my faves), there's a reboot to be released this summer that actually looks VERY good. While I've mostly lost faith in the genre, a few gems still see the light of day. I think this will be one, despite being rated PG13. Here's the trailer that was released earlier this week for any of you interested.

Bradley Whitford was a pleasant surprise, as I've been a fan of his since West Wing.

I haven't seen the last Hobbit film yet, but I can't wait for it.

#33 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

A few years old, but still my favorite movie, Inception.  If you havent seen it drop whatever you are doing and go watch it.  So mind blowing. 

#34 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

A few years old, but still my favorite movie, Inception.  If you havent seen it drop whatever you are doing and go watch it.  So mind blowing. 

LIKE!!!!

Great movie! 

#35 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

Reading Cloud Atlas was...difficult. .

Mikey was it difficult because of content or because of poor writing? Is it worth a read?

#36 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:49 AM

Mikey was it difficult because of content or because of poor writing? Is it worth a read?

The writing was good, just that the different perspectives and writing styles (it changes based on the character's POV) would break my momentum. I think it's still worth a read, but I enjoyed the movie far more than I did the book.

• Dom likes this

#37 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

I really enjoyed the last samurai with Tom Cruise, also Highlander (the first one) :)
Really into...... James Bond so waiting for Spectre to be released in Oct/Nov 2015
Want to see Taken 3 also !

#38 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Forgot to mention Interstellar,  I would say this slightly outranks Inception, mostly because I have a huge fascination with space.  This movie is phenomenal. 

#39 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:42 PM

Loved it. Don't often buy physical copies of movies, but I jumped on that.

Any Event Horizon fans?

#40 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Loved it. Don't often buy physical copies of movies, but I jumped on that.
Any Event Horizon fans?

Yep, I like Event Horizon. I didn't think anybody else did.
  • Stupendous Walrus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users