Best Left of Field EDC Substitutes.

6 replies to this topic

#1 shmevro

shmevro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Still fairly new to the site/lifestyle/hobby but from what little I've seen there seems to be a fairly standard set of tools most EDC-ers have (knife, multitool, flashlight etc). So without focusing to much on unpopular brand choice, what fairly standard EDC item do you substitute out for a left of field piece of gear?

For example; Instead of a fancy torch/flashlight, I have a Lego character LED keyring. These may not be the brightest portable flash light around but as far a key ring lights go they're very solid and have remarkable battery life.

So I guess that begs the question, what weird item do you carry?

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

I used to carry a dummy 5.56 I had recapped with a roud and made into a keychain. It was the last round I fired before getting out. I got tired of lugging around a bunch of "stuff" a while back, and went minimalist in a big way. I still carry it, but it's clipped off in my EDC truck bag with my other stuff. 

#3 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

challenge coin from my regimental CSM and CO

will post a picture when i get a chance

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#4 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

Instead of a nice G-Shock, Citizen, or Seiko, I carry a $5 dollar Walmart no-name watch. It has held up for around four years so far (submersion in ocean water, pool water, getting covered in primer/paint/silicone sealant, etc.) and it keeps ticking, no reason to replace it yet. Every other piece of my gear is though out, extensively researched, and top-notch, except for the watch, which is honestly just fine for me.

• shmevro and Mike Alison like this

#5 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Instead of a tacticool pen, I carry a cut down cheapie from one of the hotels I've stayed in. I give away a cool stylus/ball point in my classes, but I don't carry one except in my computer bag. The current cheapie pen appears on my EDC items pics in my profile. I have had expensive compact pens in the past and they all 'went south' in one way or another. I have lost the current cheapie pen twice, but it turned up again both times... go figure.

#6 Justin Shenton

Justin Shenton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

Duct tape. I keep it wrapped around an old plastic card, buried in my wallet. It takes up hardly any space, and gets forgotten about most of the time. It is cheap and easy to replace. It is surprising how often it comes in handy. 

#7 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:45 AM

Amen on the emergency duct tape idea. Wonder what George Washington would have thought of Duct Tape....or Gorilla Tape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users