Best Left of Field EDC Substitutes.

4 replies to this topic

#1 shmevro

shmevro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Still fairly new to the site/lifestyle/hobby but from what little I've seen there seems to be a fairly standard set of tools most EDC-ers have (knife, multitool, flashlight etc). So without focusing to much on unpopular brand choice, what fairly standard EDC item do you substitute out for a left of field piece of gear?

For example; Instead of a fancy torch/flashlight, I have a Lego character LED keyring. These may not be the brightest portable flash light around but as far a key ring lights go they're very solid and have remarkable battery life.

So I guess that begs the question, what weird item do you carry?

#2 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

I used to carry a dummy 5.56 I had recapped with a roud and made into a keychain. It was the last round I fired before getting out. I got tired of lugging around a bunch of "stuff" a while back, and went minimalist in a big way. I still carry it, but it's clipped off in my EDC truck bag with my other stuff. 

#3 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

challenge coin from my regimental CSM and CO

will post a picture when i get a chance

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#4 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

Instead of a nice G-Shock, Citizen, or Seiko, I carry a $5 dollar Walmart no-name watch. It has held up for around four years so far (submersion in ocean water, pool water, getting covered in primer/paint/silicone sealant, etc.) and it keeps ticking, no reason to replace it yet. Every other piece of my gear is though out, extensively researched, and top-notch, except for the watch, which is honestly just fine for me.

• shmevro and Mike Alison like this

#5 Mike Blum

Mike Blum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Instead of a tacticool pen, I carry a cut down cheapie from one of the hotels I've stayed in. I give away a cool stylus/ball point in my classes, but I don't carry one except in my computer bag. The current cheapie pen appears on my EDC items pics in my profile. I have had expensive compact pens in the past and they all 'went south' in one way or another. I have lost the current cheapie pen twice, but it turned up again both times... go figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users