29 replies to this topic

#1 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Part of my EDC is finding the perfect hat. Currently I have your average ball caps and living in a hot climate means sweat stains. Side note, I heard that shampoo works really well with stains but I haven't tried it yet. Anyways, I was looking at performance hats, 5-panel hats, active hats, bike caps, outdoor, dri-fit, etc.and so far my list of wants are:

• No logo or at least one that's discreet
  • Breathable material, great for warm weather
  • No mesh, for winter and rainy weather
  • No metal on eyelets or strap
  • It's still a hat, so nothing over $30. Even $25 seems too high.
  • Bonus - no top button
  • Bonus - an integrated sweat band

Ones I found so far -

Then I stumbled upon a most unlikely source, a GoRuck hat. I say unlikely because I'm not a tactical man by any means and I would have never thought to consider tactical hats. Being always in favor of customization, the ability to change patches peaked my interest. Unfortunately the ones I've seen had like 4 spots for patches, which can be really unsightly if they are not all being used (maybe even so if they are).

This is where GORUCK's Tac Hat Ripstop Cotton Full Panel comes in. It's $15 and with a coupon I can get an additional $5 off. (update: $15 total, including shipping after applying discount!) It checks off all the criteria PLUS I can add my own patches of choice any time I want!

Ripstop-Cotton-Full-Panel-TAC-Hat-1024x6

• Primary material: 1000D CORDURA®, the same military-grade material found in our rucks.
  • 2x3 inch patch-friendly VELCRO® on the front.
  • The top button: we removed it because it serves no purpose and it hurts when you wear Peltors or other hearing protection.
  • TAC Hat Label – heat pressed onto the sweatband inside the hat. No exterior branding.
  • VELCRO® closure
  • 6 panel construction

I haven't bought it yet. I wanted to see what feedback and advice you guys had for your EDC hat. I'm super excited about its potential though and can't wait to try it out this summer if I decide. I even have a first patch in mind to put on it! Hahaha.

For those that have GORUCK bags or other tac bags with morale patch spots what do you guys use to convert patches that don't already have the hook and loops on the back, like iron-ons for example. I'd imagine something like this Velcro product with adhesive backs?

• Mikey Bautista likes this

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for starting this topic, Frank. Just this weekend I've actually been looking for one as well. That GORUCK one seems like the best one so far!

• Franklion likes this

#3 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

Took one last look around the web and I'm going to purchase the GORUCK tonight, in case that coupon goes away. Mike, I'll let you know what I think of it in a few weeks. I have to buy some Velcro to get my patches ready! Anybody else have experience with morale patches? With all the tacticial gear that people here own, especially bags, I was surprised that the forum search yielded next to nothing in results.

#4 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Tracking says I should have this delivered this afternoon. So nobody has advice on morale patches? Best Velcro backing to use? Favorite shops?

The first two I have my eye on are:

il_570xN.805918539_3sb1.jpg

il_570xN.915390448_d57o.jpg

Nobody else with  an EDC hat?

#5 dischu

dischu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:08 AM

The GORUCK's Tac Hat Ripstop Cotton Full Panel looks very good I think. I would like to test this had but unfortunately no chance to get it in Germany ... or only with huge shipping costs.

So many cool stuff posted here and no change to get it in Germany  :(

The 'Lemmium' campaign - Sign the petition

#6 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

The GORUCK's Tac Hat Ripstop Cotton Full Panel looks very good I think. I would like to test this had but unfortunately no chance to get it in Germany ... or only with huge shipping costs.

So many cool stuff posted here and no change to get it in Germany  :(

That sucks, man. 

I haven't tested it out and about but my initial thoughts after trying it on is that I want to buy another as a backup, in case the other one gets lost, stolen or damaged. If you find something perfect may as well ensure you can have it for many many years! The fact that the hat is $10 off must be some kind of indication that it's being discontinued. If not, having it $15 off (with coupon) is an amazing deal!

#7 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

Too bad this was sold out. ;)

e8d8ed869ddd433ce8bcefeff3fe3706.jpg

• Ryan likes this

#8 Glenn Fincher

Glenn Fincher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

Size?? I have a FAT head! Usually need an 8 when sizing hats & anything less causes me to have headaches from the pressure. The other issue w/having a FAT head is that "one size fits all" usually doesn't (the adjusting band/Velcro doesn't extend enough) So... any comments on the sizing?

#9 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

Size?? I have a FAT head! Usually need an 8 when sizing hats & anything less causes me to have headaches from the pressure. The other issue w/having a FAT head is that "one size fits all" usually doesn't (the adjusting band/Velcro doesn't extend enough) So... any comments on the sizing?

Hey Glenn, I just measured my head at about a size 7 and the velcro strap is perfectly sticking on top of each other with no over or underlay. Going up a hat size can be a difference of 3 inches so I'm not sure how well it will adjust to an 8. My head fills the hat pretty nicely with no extra odd space left over, which was a small complaint I read in one review but we all have weird shaped heads. I don't have a patch yet to see how stiff that front is with one on. It's incredibly comfortable though, probably the most comfortable cap I've ever owned.

#10 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

I'm loving my hat! Was able to put my first patch on it today. GORUCK is having a spring sale and the hats are on it, which means they are going away according to their description so I bought another one. BUILT2RUCK is the code to get $5 off. Hurry while supplies last!

#11 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

These guys can make almost any patch you can think of.

plus infra red, reflective materials etc, in layers

http://www.widowmake...om-patches.html

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#12 dischu

dischu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

Size?? I have a FAT head! 

+1

I just got a Carhartt Odessa Cap and I like it. Mid price, very good quality and - most important - very good size. Fits very good.

I also think about the very tactical looking KHS Tactical Caps. It´s more expensive (about 30,- EUR, even more with accessories) but it should be really good.

Check out this YouTube video (unfortunately in German language). The only thing I don´t like are 7 (!!!) velcros (front, back, top and 2 on each side)  :blink:

#13 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

A few weeks ago I got myself a cap from amazon. It's a Beechfield Baseballcap. Very standard but I like it.
Especially because it was so cheap. I think it was around 5$.

Attached Files

#14 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

A few weeks ago I got myself a cap from amazon. It's a Beechfield Baseballcap. Very standard but I like it.
Especially because it was so cheap. I think it was around 5$.

Great deal! I don't think I ran into the Beechfield brand during my search. Good to know.

#15 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

I also think about the very tactical looking KHS Tactical Caps. It´s more expensive (about 30,- EUR, even more with accessories) but it should be really good.

Check out this YouTube video (unfortunately in German language). The only thing I don´t like are 7 (!!!) velcros (front, back, top and 2 on each side)  :blink:

Zod damn that's a lot of patches! That seems incredibly excessive.

#16 dischu

dischu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

I agree. The small velcros on the sides are for small patches like allergies or blood type or reflectors. And you clip a sunscreen or a mosquito net on. Certainly for extra charge.

To be honest, I don´t need anything of that but however I´m interested in that cap  :)

#17 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

Cool cool. I was over the moon when I found the GORUCK hat with only one patch. For the longest time the minimum I could find was two and I would never but anything on the back.

#18 Daveho

Daveho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Plain black flexfit baseball cap for me, I always have it stuck to the side of my bag if I'm not using it

#19 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 870 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:08 AM

Cool cool. I was over the moon when I found the GORUCK hat with only one patch. For the longest time the minimum I could find was two and I would never but anything on the back.

Hey Frank, I took your advice and picked up the GORUCK in khaki. Couldn't be happier, and am ordering the black one as I type this. Excellent find!

VFHZpT8.jpg

#20 Roger Heath

Roger Heath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Closest thing I've got to an EDC cap would be these babies from Comeaux Caps.  I have one for each day of the week, because if you wear the same one every day, your cap and your head get really nasty really quickly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hat, cap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users