EDC Victorinox Pioneer Alox cadet soldier color Electrician

9 replies to this topic

#1 Emory Alexander

Emory Alexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

I have a Victorinox farmer, and really like it, but I have a couple of problems with it. First of all the saw is awesome, but I think I can do without it for an EDC pocket tool, making it thinner and lighter. The other problem is the key ring attachment. The way it is positioned, straight down, instead of angled back, it digs into the palm of my hand. I corrected this by adding a woven paracord lanyard which cushions it, but it adds bulk, and some weight. I have been looking at getting a different Alox model to carry as my main MT. I know the Cadet is very popular, mainly because of Nutnfancy, who I love, but I can't get over trading the punch for the fingernail file/cleaner, and it's smaller than the other options. I like the Pioneer, but it has the same issue with the key ring attachment. The Electrician doesn't have a key ring attachment at all, which I may be ok with, but it has the small blade instead of the can opener/small flat/Phillips driver. The old Soldier is the Pioneer without the key ring attachment, but it is very hard to find at any decent price now. 

Questions:

1. What do you think about carrying a SAK with limited tools, like the ones mentioned, as a primary EDC MT?

2. Which of these, or other, models do you recommend?

3. Which color do you like the best? I'm liking the red, the green, and the blue with red/white shield, but its hard to find.

4. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

#2 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

I have a black cadet and personally, the fingernail file/cleaner is the tool I use the most. Not only is it great for fingernails, but it is awesome for scraping or getting into small spaces. I always carry a dedicated folding knife, so my cadet is really a backup, but I think it would be just fine as a main EDC depending on what you need it to do. As far as the key ring goes, you can always file it off if it really bothers you that much.

#3 Emory Alexander

Emory Alexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

Griffen Kociela, thank you for your response. I have seen where some people have filled off the key ring attachment, and I though about that, but I really want to have an attachment on it, and I don't know if I could bring myself to do it! LOL. I'm sure the file on the Cadet would be useful, I just think thing the punch would be more so, but I must admit a strong attraction to the Cadet. There are some great colors out there. Honestly, I'll probably end up getting one eventually, but I think on of the others is more what I'm looking for right now. Thanks again.

#4 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

I primary EDC a custom pioneer, it has a pocket clip and scissors added.  I personally find it suits all my needs... but if you find yourself using other tools a lot maybe you should carry something more (like the farmer). 

#5 Emory Alexander

Emory Alexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

I almost never use the saw except in the woods, so I think I could do with out it. I do like having scissors, (I usually carry a Leatherman Juice CS 4, and I have a Vic. Fieldmaster, both of which have scissors. I also keep a Leatherman Style CS on my key ring. But I think I could do with out them in my main EDC.

#6 AmberDragon

AmberDragon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

Victorinox just released a Pioneer with scissors called the Pioneer X, actually. They're already in circulation in Europe, according to the Multitool.org forums <http://forum.multito...html#msg1224357>. I'm thinking of picking one up when they start showing up here if the US price is user-friendly since the only thing that's been keeping me from picking up an alox model is the lack of scissors.

#7 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:44 PM

Victorinox just released a Pioneer with scissors called the Pioneer X, actually. They're already in circulation in Europe, according to the Multitool.org forums <http://forum.multito...html#msg1224357>. I'm thinking of picking one up when they start showing up here if the US price is user-friendly since the only thing that's been keeping me from picking up an alox model is the lack of scissors.

They must have been seeing how popular the custom SAKs were with scissors and decided to get in on the action! 

#8 Griffen Kociela

Griffen Kociela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:50 AM

It's about time!

#9 Ludovic Babin

Ludovic Babin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationFrogs Land.

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

You can have a look on ALM prods => https://www.facebook...knives/?fref=ts

#10 Emory Alexander

Emory Alexander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

I saw the new Pioneer X, which is exciting, but I still think I can do without the scissors. Does anyone know where I could find one of the old Soldiers in Alox for a decent price, (+/- $40?)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, Victorinox, Pioneer, Alox, cadet, soldier, color, Electrician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users