Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo
- - - - -

what edc items travel with you everywhere you travel including flying ?

travel edc

57 replies to this topic

#1 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have to say where ever I travel my trusty Swiss champ is in my suitcase (due to flight restrictions on what you can carry on a plane) ....also my parker pen and watch wallet and keys obviously on my person. IPod nano and my iPhone I also take my kindle HD fire and all chargers and travel adapters in my backpack.
Also a good book is a must!

What do other members take ?
:)

Attached Files

#2 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

For me, I carry a Victorinox Manager with the blade removed. (snapped it off)

#3 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

The EDC basics: watch, wallet, phone, glasses. Other items will depend on the type of trip & location (foreign or domestic). 

• Marc likes this

#4 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

The EDC basics: watch, wallet, phone, glasses. Other items will depend on the type of trip & location (foreign or domestic). 

Ditto here.  Plus I always have 3-6 cigars (depending on length of trip) with cutter and torch lighter, and a multi-tool in my luggage.

• Dom, Dave and Kuya like this

#5 Jim Carr

Jim Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

Always, Bellroy (Hide & Seek), watch (luminox), phone (apple), keys (with keysmart2.0) ; Checked bag (if flying) contains either my Gerber Dime or my Gerber Compact Scout knive. If not flying, on my person directly

I think i need a flashlight to carry too.. Looking at Marc's Ti3 (Ti stands for Tiny, right Marc! )

• Glen and Marc like this

#6 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

I don't fly pretty much at all but if I go anywhere I will have my iPhone 6 and headphones, wallet & keys, flashlight (usually my maglite) and a knife.

#7 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:34 PM

Ditto here.  Plus I always have 3-6 cigars (depending on length of trip) with cutter and torch lighter, and a multi-tool in my luggage.

Yes! Almost always travel with cigars. I have a travel humidor similar to this:

http://www.cheaphumi...DlWwaArDn8P8HAQ
  • Marc and kwelsh like this

#8 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

Smart humidor love the depth rating hard to smoke a cigar that deep underwater lol :)

#9 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

When I travel, I always take numerous flashlights with me (always on the carry-on, since the TSA have strict requirements for the carrying of lithium ion batteries.  They cannot be in checked luggage).  I've never had any problems with this.  Now that I have multi-tools, I'll pack them in my checked luggage. 

About the only incident I had was the first time I carried a dozen Surefire CR123 batteries, in their stock box (back when I was using CR123 batteries lol), and the TSA agent had to scan my stuff a second time.  They thought it was a box of bullets!  Since then, I've always used Pelican 1010 cases, and have had no issues with the TSA, ever since. The 1010s are water, dust, shockproof, and air-tight, but with a one-way air purge valve.  They even float lol.  Love 'em. 

I always carry chargers/cables/interfaces (for the various items), stuff to read, snacks (gum, candy bars, mints  - whatever).  Always with cell phone, wallet, pen and pencil set, a set of Klipsch 5sI earbuds (have tons of music loaded on my phone and iPad).

• Dom, Marc and James Caro like this

#10 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

Yes! Almost always travel with cigars. I have a travel humidor similar to this:

http://www.cheaphumi...DlWwaArDn8P8HAQ

When I travel, I always take numerous flashlights with me (always on the carry-on, since the TSA have strict requirements for the carrying of lithium ion batteries.  They cannot be in checked luggage).  I've never had any problems with this.  Now that I have multi-tools, I'll pack them in my checked luggage. 

About the only incident I had was the first time I carried a dozen Surefire CR123 batteries, in their stock box (back when I was using CR123 batteries lol), and the TSA agent had to scan my stuff a second time.  They thought it was a box of bullets!  Since then, I've always used Pelican 1010 cases, and have had no issues with the TSA, ever since. The 1010s are water, dust, shockproof, and air-tight, but with a one-way air purge valve.  They even float lol.  Love'em. 

I always carry chargers/cables/interfaces (for the various items), stuff to read, snacks (gum, candy bars, mints  - whatever).  Always with cell phone, wallet, pen and pencil set, a set of Klipsch 5sI earbuds (have tons of music loaded on my phone and iPad).

David, funny you should mention the Pelican box because I wanted to counter Dom's post with the fancy humi with my version!  I use the Pelican 1040 as a travelling humidor.  Depending on size and shape, I can fit 5 to 6 cigars then I put a piece of packing foam on top of them (the egg-crate type of foam that comes with computer hardware) which is cut the same size as the box, and then my cutter and torch lighter on top of the foam.  When I close the box, everything is held tight, nothing moves even if it's dropped, and the goods are protected by the foam.  I will take a pic when I get home to show y'all.  Those Pelican boxes are great.

• Dom, David Quevedo, Jorruss and 1 other like this

#11 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

David, funny you should mention the Pelican box because I wanted to counter Dom's post with the fancy humi with my version!  I use the Pelican 1040 as a travelling humidor.  Depending on size and shape, I can fit 5 to 6 cigars then I put a piece of packing foam on top of them (the egg-crate type of foam that comes with computer hardware) which is cut the same size as the box, and then my cutter and torch lighter on top of the foam.  When I close the box, everything is held tight, nothing moves even if it's dropped, and the goods are protected by the foam.  I will take a pic when I get home to show y'all.  Those Pelican boxes are great.

Pelican cases are amazing.  A few pic's below:

101_2607800800.jpg

Pelican 1010 case with 18650 batteries, and a couple of dual CR123 sleeves.

101_2602800800.jpg

101_2594800800.jpg

101_2609800800.jpg

• Dom, Jorruss and Bladerunner337 like this

#12 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

I always dug those Pelican cases, but never had any. You guys just gave me a few good reasons...
  • David Quevedo likes this

#13 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

I regularly took my martial arts students to compete overseas....it always used to make me smile when the baggage handler at the airport check in asked if I packed my case myself....and if there was anything sharp inside :) nothing like seeing their faces when you tell them ....
A samurai sword
Two 18 inch knives
Set of sai
Chinese long sword
Two nunchaku
And six foot staff
:)
And then have
Several of my students with a similar inventory behind me in the que :)
Some of the looks you get are priceless :) lol
  • Glen, Marc and Jorruss like this

#14 Marc

Marc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

As promised, here are pictures of my travelling humidor:

http://s6.postimg.or...a9/pelica_1.jpg

http://s6.postimg.or...cx/pelica_2.jpg

http://s6.postimg.or...xd/pelica_3.jpg

• Dom and kwelsh like this

#15 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

I always travel with cameras. I use a DSLR with 2 lenses, and a P&S with a decent zoom. I'd like to pick up a waterproof/shockproof camera for underwater and general hard use, but for now I use my iPhone with a Lifeproof case. I can fit all the camera gear into a fairly small shoulder bag (mini tripod, cleaners, chargers, etc).

#16 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

As promised, here are pictures of my travelling humidor:

http://s6.postimg.or...a9/pelica_1.jpg

http://s6.postimg.or...cx/pelica_2.jpg

http://s6.postimg.or...xd/pelica_3.jpg

Nice Marc, I dig it! My travel humidor is airtight, and has a tiny humidifier. But I don't think the humidifier is effective, so I don't keep them in there long, depending on the climate wherever I am. Nothing that a damp paper towel can't solve though. And I don't have room in it for the torch and cutter like yours. Your DIY box is a winner!
  • Marc likes this

#17 David Quevedo

David Quevedo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:35 AM

Thinking about it, I also used to carry a laptop and a mini DVD player with me; but now that I've got an iPad Mini, it's hard to imagine carrying either of those...well, maybe, the laptop, still.  Somethings are still more fun on a laptop, with semi-normal-sized keys, and on a bigger screen lol.

#18 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

I was gone Sunday through last night (2/1-2/6) on a work trip.  Luckily, I flew Southwest and checked a bag full of knives, multitools, watches and flashlights for free.  This was the first time I've ever checked a bag to maintain my normal EDC, but it was definitely the most comfortable I've ever been being away from home.  Strangely enough, the TSA did still go through my bag as evidenced by this note I found in my suitcase when I arrived to my hotel and began unpacking.  

tumblr_njevsiWmSw1u25gmmo1_540.jpg

#19 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

I was gone Sunday through last night (2/1-2/6) on a work trip. Luckily, I flew Southwest and checked a bag full of knives, multitools, watches and flashlights for free. This was the first time I've ever checked a bag to maintain my normal EDC, but it was definitely the most comfortable I've ever been being away from home. Strangely enough, the TSA did still go through my bag as evidenced by this note I found in my suitcase ]

Hah I'm not surprised. A bag full of knives, mutitools and flashlights will certainly pique someones interest at X-ray!

I've been security checked at the TSA line a few times. Seems to always be when I'm tan and have a beard ;)

#20 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hah I'm not surprised. A bag full of knives, mutitools and flashlights will certainly pique someones interest at X-ray!

I've been security checked at the TSA line a few times. Seems to always be when I'm tan and have a beard ;)

HAHAHA!!!  I don't tan, I just getting a pinkish hue......  :D

• Edwin Nava likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users