#1 James DeAngelis

James DeAngelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

I grew up in the woods and as I got older I would camp out. The last 10 years I been doing multiple day trips in the woods with nothing but whats in my bag. The bag I started with was about 70L and was able to carry a small back packing tent, clothes, small stove, hygiene items, and maybe a camera. I have hiked the  Appalachian Trail  in a few different states and always have had a blast. I have hiked up to 2 weeks and even have camped in snow. I think most people should at least try it. Cause I really learned about myself and my gear. I know sometimes head out with my 5.11 rush 24 bag and a small tarp during warmer months and am fine. Anyone else ever really put their  gear to a test?  The one thing I really am considering adding is a solar charger, and maybe another water filter.

• Stupendous Walrus likes this

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 956 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:27 PM

I'm pretty far away from the wilderness so I don't always get the chance to go outside, but this video would be the first one I would reference should I venture into camping out:

#3 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

I grew up in the woods and as I got older I would camp out. The last 10 years I been doing multiple day trips in the woods with nothing but whats in my bag. The bag I started with was about 70L and was able to carry a small back packing tent, clothes, small stove, hygiene items, and maybe a camera. I have hiked the  Appalachian Trail  in a few different states and always have had a blast. I have hiked up to 2 weeks and even have camped in snow. I think most people should at least try it. Cause I really learned about myself and my gear. I know sometimes head out with my 5.11 rush 24 bag and a small tarp during warmer months and am fine. Anyone else ever really put their  gear to a test?  The one thing I really am considering adding is a solar charger, and maybe another water filter.

James, I am super envious of your adventures on the Appalachian trail. I myself grew up hiking, canoeing and camping in the Algonquin region, as well as many of Ontario's great provincial parks. If you ever feel like a journey north of the border, Algonquin will take your breath away. No matter how many times you go. I have vivid memories of watching the Northern Lights pop in and out of vision, listening to droves of wolves howling through out the night on a crisp winter evening. It's simply perfection.

#4 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:32 AM

I haven't camped or hiked properly but I really want to lol

#5 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

I have taken hundreds of trips into the mountains of NC with no more than I could stick in a saddle bag. The horse ate what it could find, and so did I. To me, the reason to go to the woods is to lose the trappings of society and it's incessant noise and clutter. Winter camping is a blessing, and the harder the conditions, the better I like it. 

12CC93A6-AE0F-422A-B916-3506163FA9DB_zps

#6 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Funny that this thread has popped up. I did a lot of camping as a kid and as a young adult, both with my friends and by myself. I've started checking out ultralight backpacking sites and hopefully by lighting up, I can get a few more miles out of my knee and a half (I've had a partial knee replacement.)  

#7 Tim Kramer

Tim Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

For your solar charger consideration I strongly recommend NoOutletNoProblem's 10W Dual outlet solar charger. I've got the camo one and it works really well. It folds up so it doesn't take up much room and then can be laid out or hung when you need to charge your stuff. It's lightweight too. I've charged two iPads at the same time when at home so it definitely has some juice. See pictures. 

Attached Files

- Tim Kramer

Social Media Content at Saddleback Leather

www.saddlebackleather.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BACK PACKING, CAMPING, SURVIVAL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users