#1 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

Greetings,

I was so excited to find this website and community!

For the past year I've been focusing on leading a minimalist lifestyle and huge part of that was looking at my possessions and ensuring that what I had was worth having. A good starting point was what I carried with me everyday. For years I had a key set up that I never liked. Countless times I've run into situations where this one thing would have made a difference, if I had it. I've rotated four wallets in the past two years because I frequently changed my mind about what was important to carry or nice to have, in case.

As child and clear into adulthood I've always been organized, strived to be as prepared for my day as much as possible, and tried to have awesome gear to support me. I've been living with an everyday carry mentality, I just didn't know it had a name, a following, a philosophy,a way of life...EDC!

Whether it was the lack of money, resources, or knowledge in the past I've never researched every aspect of it to the extent that I have in the past 2 months. My OneNote is teeming with minimalist/EDC pages. My main notebooks consist of 1. Minimalist Lifestyle, 2. Minimalist Wallets, 3. Minimalist Keys, 4. Multi-Tools, 5. Slings and Bags, 6. Pill & Oil Fobs, 7. Pens. I even have a section called "My EDC Build" which is a checklist of all the items (with links) that I have been acquiring. 

I love this site! The Carry Smarter articles are amazing. The design of the site is clean and organized. The features and functionality are remarkable. I've already been inspired by people's submissions and gear. I look forward to sharing some of mine in hopes that I can return the favor. 

• Nathaniel P likes this

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

Greetings! Glad to see another EDC'er from Texas!

I totally get where you're coming from. I had always carried stuff (Swiss Army Knife when I was 7), but I only recently started looking at my carry in terms of "Do I REALLY need that?" It's allowed me to streamline my carry fairly significantly. For instance, I used to carry a Mini Maglite LED 2xAA in a belt holster, now I carry a  Preon P1 in pocket. HUGE difference in terms of functionality, comfort, etc.

Btw, if you are looking for a minimalist wallet, handmade in Texas, check out Hell-Bent Holsters. They make what I firmly believe is the best wallet on the planet, the Combat Wallet. Made out of Kydex, super lightweight, with an optional removable carbon fiber/titanium money clip. 

• Franklion likes this

#3 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Hey Nathaniel, thanks for stopping by. I saw a picture of the CW 1&2 before but didn't know how it worked. I just Googled a vid. Pretty slick! I'm currently using an N Wallet from Elephant and it's okay. I want to go back to a softer type so I backed the DAX wallet, which seems more my style. Just for kicks I also have a Minicap on the way until the DAX is ready. Thanks for the mini review though because I was curious what someone thought of it the Hell-Bents.

One of the things I love about EDC is not only do you ask yourself "Do I REALLY need that?" but also "Do I really need that TODAY?" Because you know, you can never have enough gear to simplify your life. HA! 

#4 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

First submission published! To check out my complete EDK click on the link in my signature. I'm deciding whether I should do a pocket dump next or show my entire work edc.

#5 Cole Turner

Cole Turner

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Welcome Franklion, glad to have ya!

Engineer @ EDC | My Profile

#6 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

Welcome aboard Franklion! 

#7 TK

TK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

Welcome Franklion! Happy exploring !

#8 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:02 AM

First submission published! To check out my complete EDK click on the link in my signature. I'm deciding whether I should do a pocket dump next or show my entire work edc.

EDW posted! http://everydaycarry...like-a-job-for#

#9 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

In the Minimalist Wallet thread I posted that my current wallet was the Minicap from Kickstarter and I've been liking it a lot. Prior to getting that wallet I was actually interested in FNDN Detroit's minimalist wallet but held back because of the price and I wasn't sure if I would like the pull tab system.

After using the affordable Minicap I can confidently say that I do. So as a splurge gift to myself I ordered the FNDN and am holding it in my hands right now. It's amazingly soft and I love the subtle blue stitching.I can tell right now that this is going to be my main wallet for many years to come.

81cPAxzdQ1L._UY879_.jpg

The DAX Wallet in Midnight Blue (far left in picture) is what I'm waiting for to arrive in June.

1.jpg

#10 theresa weston

theresa weston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hey I am new in this forums.

#11 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hey I am new in this forums.

Welcome, Theresa! You should start a thread for yourself and share what's in your everyday collection. :)

#12 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:43 AM

I just purchased a few items off of my want list! I'm so excited to share! One of the items I got (FINALLY) is the Fisher Space Bullet pen in blue. You'll have to wait and see what else I got when I make a new submission. ;)

#13 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

Okay, one of my new additions to my EDC is a Swiss Army Classic SD and it's awesome! I had no idea it was so compact. I've had it in my watch pocket along with Listerine Pocketpacks and I can't even tell it's in there. It's perfect! I'm going to really love it I can already tell.

#14 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

I wanted to capture my comments from this article http://everydaycarry...m-or-redundancy since it speaks directly to my style and how I curate my gear:

Fantastic subject. I've been curating my EDC collection for over a year and what I've been focusing on is having the best "one" of everything that I need or most likely will need. I don't need to carry a dedicated knife, for example, but having one on a SAK and multi-tool is perfect. I always carry my essentials on me no matter if it's work or play, and I've planned it that way.

I spend days and weeks researching variations of the one item and the same amount of time choosing which one suits me for almost any situation. It has to fit my needs, my style and I have to love it. It's like drafting players in fantasy football for the best team. My EDC "team" consists of one: pen, wallet, key organizer, multi-tool, valet, hat, beanie, pencil, notebook, ear buds and carrier, hand lotion, lip balm, grid organizer, totem and more. Some of it has to be trial and error though. I bought and tried out 5 wallets before I found (and love) my current one. 

Some items I do have more than one of. I currently have one hank but definitely will be getting more to rotate. I have 3 flashlights only because I showed my wife the 3 I was debating on and she surprised me with all 3 a couple of days later. I think bags (and pouches) in particular is an item you do need more than one of but I wouldn't call it redundancy. It's back to the "one" of everything philosophy. I have one dedicated for work, one 10L for hiking and hydration, one 25L cinch for bulk items or throw ins, one sling (although crappy) and currently have a 12L on pre-order as my everyday go out and play/weekend/vacation bag. 

One of the reasons why I love seeing peoples EDC/pocket dumps is because they are basically curated collections of that persons style and personality. Because minimalism plays a huge part there was care and thought put into each item. They chose those brands, those materials, and those colors. They need an item with that functionality and that purpose. EDC collections are probably more revealing than dating profiles. 

So what's better for EDC? I’d say whatever you need it to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users