17 replies to this topic

#1 Riley Temple

Riley Temple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hey guys!

I dig the packs i'm seeing on this site's functionality & design but am looking for personal opinions! Keeping an eye out for an everyday pack that not only holds my day to day necessities but is also durable and waterproof. I'm an action adventure guide w/ an obsession for surfing and wondering where to look for quality goods that will fill the above needs. Needs to be durable enough to handle the Pacific Northwest elements!

Where should I head to find the perfect pack? Need some direction.

Thanks!

-Riley

#2 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:11 AM

Hi Riley,

I use a Maxpedition Colossus verispack for my EDC bag. The bag can fit a decent amount of gear and is modular as it has various attachment points for molle accessories.

Maxpedition gear is very heavy duty, some of their bags have a sewn in rain flap to keep water out of the bag, and they are all coated in Teflon so water beads right off. The main compartment is padded and reinforced.

For 2016 Maxpedition is coming out with a newer high tech looking molle pack line. I just got email from them yesterday The 2016 Shot Show is coming in 4 days and will give you a preview of all  the new bags, gear, and firearms coming out this year. People will start loading up youtube videos on day 1.

Are you looking for a shoulder bag, backpack, or sling style courier bag?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dtrOEALeLhM  Youtube video of Colossus

https://www.youtube....h?v=UXFGHnTXLBw  Excellent detailed review part 1

https://www.youtube....h?v=NE4R9sgDedw   Excellent detailed review part 2

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be Newly designed Advanced Gear for 2016

https://www.maxpedition.com/  Maxpedition main website

The best place to purchase Maxpedition gear is LA Police Gear, Optics Planet.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

the-rock-0424.jpg

Apparently  the Rock has good taste in man bags. I posted this pic so you can get an idea of the size. The rock stands at about 6ft 5in tall.

Maxpedition-Colossus-7.jpg

• Drew likes this

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

I would check out :

ebags.com

Sierra Trading post's website

Both sites have tons of stuff but also good filters to narrow down your search.

#4 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

All my bags are 511, and I like them for my various needs. a word on "water proof" I am unaware of any truly water proof bags. Some are more water resistant than others by having features that repel the occasional splash or quick rain shower, but they will all leak in harsh environments.  I keep any sensitive gear in zip lock bags or small dry bags inside the pack. 

• Arnie likes this

#5 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

I second Coldwater's recommendations on 5.11 bags. They are both economically priced and incredibly durable. As with most cordura nylon bags, they are water resistant but not waterproof if you dunk them into a pool of water or leave them out in a deluge of heavy rain. They make rain covers for packs to help with that. I just picked up a 5.11 Rush 24 at Christmas and am very impressed with its built in organization and capacity.
  • Brendan likes this

#6 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:44 PM

I got myself a 5.11 Moab. Great bag for work and EDC. I like the organization inside. You have a lot of bags and pockets. Nothing is rattling around inside. Because it only has one strap it's very easy and fast to shoulder. Also seems very durable.

#7 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

Timbuk2 bags are very tough and water repellant. Mine has been in service two years in wet demanding conditions and has many years of service left. Many of my colleagues use this brand for its durability flexability and water resistant properties.

#8 James DeAngelis

James DeAngelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

I have alot of 5.11 bags and love them one of them being covrt 18. I try to stay away from tactical bag because I think when SHTF situations it might make me a target. Not saying I don't have alot of tactical clothing but I am trying to stay away from that look. I think blending might be the safe thing to do. The Covrt 18 still has that tactical feel with a reg bag look. The bag has a holster  that can be attached to the inside. Been carrying the bag for awhile now in the city and no one looked at me funny like they did when I carried the rush 24 from 5.11  I also Really like the maxexpediion monsoon gearslinger bag!! Its a single strap sling! Great bag!!

#9 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

As much as I love my MOAB 10 to death, it was giving me neck and shoulder pain after a year or so of wearing it, so I've moved back to a backpack in the meantime. It's a decent ripstop Nike backpack in digi camo, but I would definitely want something more rugged. Top of the list, of course, is the Rush 24, but does anyone have any new-ish alternatives?

I've heard good things about the Goruck GR1 and the Direct Action Dragon Egg, but mainly my needs are:

1. Padded laptop compartment
  2. "Extended" straps -- the ones that contour around your shoulder/neck rather than coming straight off the pack, I don't know what it's called
  3. Sternum strap, preferably non adjustable because I don't want them sliding up and down

The Rush fulfills 99% of my needs, but just wanted to see if there were any contenders out there in 2016.

#10 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

As much as I love my MOAB 10 to death, it was giving me neck and shoulder pain after a year or so of wearing it, so I've moved back to a backpack in the meantime. It's a decent ripstop Nike backpack in digi camo, but I would definitely want something more rugged. Top of the list, of course, is the Rush 24, but does anyone have any new-ish alternatives?

I've heard good things about the Goruck GR1 and the Direct Action Dragon Egg, but mainly my needs are:

1. Padded laptop compartment
  2. "Extended" straps -- the ones that contour around your shoulder/neck rather than coming straight off the pack, I don't know what it's called
  3. Sternum strap, preferably non adjustable because I don't want them sliding up and down

The Rush fulfills 99% of my needs, but just wanted to see if there were any contenders out there in 2016.

Oh, there it is. B)

#11 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

haha

there it is..

didnt think the 24 would be upstaged anytime soon, guess i was wrong

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#12 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hey guys!

I dig the packs i'm seeing on this site's functionality & design but am looking for personal opinions! Keeping an eye out for an everyday pack that not only holds my day to day necessities but is also durable and waterproof. I'm an action adventure guide w/ an obsession for surfing and wondering where to look for quality goods that will fill the above needs. Needs to be durable enough to handle the Pacific Northwest elements!

Where should I head to find the perfect pack? Need some direction.

Thanks!

-Riley

Hey Riley, originally from Tacoma. It seems like most everyone is recommending a tactical bag but it seems like you need a sport/adventure hybrid instead. If so then definitely check out MHM Packs. The guys grew up in the mountains of CO so I'm pretty sure they know a thing or two about design and functionality for adventurers, especially those that live in the gorgeous PacNW.

If you are looking for an actual waterproof bag then check out Skorch. I'll let the reviews do the talking. Great video reviews too if you search for them. I wish I found out about them before I went to Mexico a month ago. My Patagonia bag was terrific for my snorkeling gear and swim shorts but a Skorch bag would have been handy around the xenotes I visited.

Check out the Matador Droplet Wet Bag too! It's like EDC product perfection. Actually all of their products are, like this bag Matador Freerain24. It packs down into a pouch smaller than your hand and opens to a sweet all weather adventure pack. If I still lived in the PacNW I would get this for myself.

Let us know what you decide! Looking forward to see what you get.
  • Mikey Bautista likes this

#13 TK

TK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

All my bags are 511, and I like them for my various needs. a word on "water proof" I am unaware of any truly water proof bags. Some are more water resistant than others by having features that repel the occasional splash or quick rain shower, but they will all leak in harsh environments.  I keep any sensitive gear in zip lock bags or small dry bags inside the pack.

I too have a 511 and love it it feels and is very durable and pretty compact I use it as a range backpack and it's a pretty solid setup

#14 Scott

Scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

I think if you are looking for the best waterproofing, you should look at bags by Mission Workshop and the like. The military style backpacks are also good, not to discredit them, but the waterproof liners on mission workshop bags are amazing. The problem with them, of course, is they tend to be expensive. Why can't nice things ever come cheap? 

#15 Mexx

Mexx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

I always tended to using a normal messenger bag or backpack. But what I was missing was the opportunity to store and organize within the bag. So the 5.11 is my first "tactical" bag. I think if you choose it in black, it doesn't stand out too much. The only thing you see are the black molle straps. I have my backpacks when I'm up to the mountains ((Salewa, vaude) but for a normal working day they are great. I'm working at an office and till now nobody realized the bag I use.

#16 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

Hey Riley, 

For about a year now, I've been using a Pacsafe shoulder bag. Great affordable option. Not as durable as a Maxpedition, but mine gets thrown around all day at work, dragged out on car trips and has survived one brutal Canadian summer, and two Canadian winters with nary a scratch on it. Decent quality nylon, organization on the interior as well as awesome anti-theft features.

#17 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

Check it! Carrology released an article for the "Best Waterproof Backpacks". Perfect - http://www.carryolog...roof-backpacks/

Header-image.jpg

• Mikey Bautista likes this

#18 Sudhanshu Rana

Sudhanshu Rana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:40 AM

I found a great website having all kind of waterproof backpacks. Full fill all kind of need. Mate if you need laptop backpack your solution is here if you are looking for waterproof travel backpack your solution is here if you are looking for hiking backpack then your solution is here. check here http://myoutdoorlab....ckpacks-review/

durable-rucksack.jpeg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bags, Pouches, Packs, Waterproof, high quality, Action, Adventure, Your opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users