DIY Leather Key Orgnizer Orbit Key

6 replies to this topic

#1 Cody

Cody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

So over the last couple of weeks I've been watching a lot of videos on leather working, inspired by some of the projects that people have shown off on this website.  

Well this past weekend I got all my tools and leather and started off small with a simple Orbit Key style organizer.  There is a video on YouTube that I followed (https://www.youtube....h?v=4GNtNZcahJU) with the only change being adding the stitching to the perimeter.  

I realize that I have a long way to go on this hobby but it really is therapeutic for me!  After a long day at the office heading into the garage to work with a natural material like leather is a great way to relax!  

So other than the hand stitching being terrible, what does everyone think?

Attached File  20160112_132130_resized.jpg   249.73KB   2 downloads

Attached File  20160112_132140_resized.jpg   101.93KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20160112_132148_resized.jpg   129.05KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20160112_132156_resized.jpg   145.35KB   2 downloads

#2 Tiago Montemor

Tiago Montemor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

I think you did a great job. Stitching comes with time just keep at it. Any luck finding those posts in brass? I've been looking for a while but no luck.

~Fueled by Moonlight, Forged by the Sea~

http://halfmoonleather.com

instagram:  @halfmoonleather

info@halfmoonleather.com

#3 Cody

Cody

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

I think you did a great job. Stitching comes with time just keep at it. Any luck finding those posts in brass? I've been looking for a while but no luck.

I checked at Home Depot and Lowes, all that they had was this one.  I wanted to find either brass or nickel but no luck.  

I'm loving this hobby so the stitching will hopefully get better over time!  

#4 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Welcome the wonderfully challenging and relaxing craft of leather working. You did well fro a first go nice edge work and your stitching is actually very good and would benefit I think from some technical changes rather just more practice. What looks most obvious to me is the angle of your piercing awl relative to the stich line.

Go to the Tandy wen site and look fro "The Art of Hand Stitching" by Al Stohlman (all this books are golden!) It is worth every penny as is the holster making book and case making series.

Here is what I think is happening with your stitches based on what I see. I think your angle is like the middle example but may be wrong.

Have fun and just keep doing it.

Also check out leatherworker.net as it is an amazing resource.

Attached Files

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#5 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

As for the posts check out ChicagoScrews.com

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#6 Paul Tobeck

Paul Tobeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

Attached File  20161219_183157.jpg   98.43KB   1 downloadsAttached File  20161219_183258.jpg   80.35KB   1 downloads

Just made my own version of the OrbitKey after a buddy got a KeySmart. I don't need a holder that can handle more than 3 keys and was stunned when I saw that OrbitKeys are $40!!! Holy #@*!

I work for an industrial supplier, so I have access to a wide variety of fasteners, so I decided to go DIY.

I scrounged around and found an old leather belt, cut a strip 3/4" by 6-1/2", gathered up my components and went to work. Didn't turn out too bad for 30 minutes worth of work. Here's the hardware i used:

2 - 3/4" long Stainless Steel Truss Head Binding Post Screws (Chicago Screws) These have a 13/64 post diameter, most keys fit, but some, like Schlage keys, need to have the hole enlarged slightly. Much better/stronger than the aluminum screws from Menards/Lowes.

2 - #12 Stainless Steel Finishing Washers, strictly decorative and not necessary. Had to punch them flatter with the butt end of a 7/16 bolt to get the truss heads seated flush. 

#10 Stainless Steel Flat Washers, for spacers between the keys and the keys/leather.  

1 - 3/4" black D-Ring. Bought a 4-pack at Jo-Ann Fabrics for less than $3

1 - Leatherman Brewzer. Just because. And it fit perfectly over the screw post!

Much cheaper than the OrbitKey, and I've gotten several compliments despite the "rough" leather. Considering getting some leather strap, a beveler and burnisher and doing some "right", perhaps even throw some on Etsy. If enough people are interested, I'll post a photo tutorial. 

#7 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

Good job, looks great!  FYI: http://forum.everyda...eather-key-bar/

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, Leather, Key Orgnizer, Orbit Key

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users