what watch to wear smart or classic

9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris FSS

Chris FSS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:36 PM

I am debating a new watch i currentlyhave a citizens eco drive dive watch, but looking at options, do i go smart watch or keep it simple like a canvas strap sieko?

#2 Jacques Hansen

Jacques Hansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:26 AM

Never go wrong with a classic automatic.
  • Dave and VINCE like this

#3 Jim L

Jim L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

I have both. I have two smart watches. One LG G watch R and the Huawei watch. Both are great but I always eventually revert back to my other watches like some quartz ones but mainly my microbrand autos. I am a huge techy but watches especially microbrands are my weakness lol.

#4 Jacques Hansen

Jacques Hansen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

I have to agree some of the micro brands are exceptional. My vice are automatics.

#5 James DeAngelis

James DeAngelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

I have a smart watch the samsung s2 and the battery life is horrible on it. only lasts 2 days. I will use it sometimes for work to check my texts and get alerts so it vibrates my wrist instead of my pocket. Also the alarm clock on it will vibrate my wrist and not my send an audible alarm to prevent my girl from being woken up. I know it seems to be overkill to use 2 watches but I can't give up my Gshock 

#6 Jim L

Jim L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

I have a smart watch the samsung s2 and the battery life is horrible on it. only lasts 2 days. I will use it sometimes for work to check my texts and get alerts so it vibrates my wrist instead of my pocket. Also the alarm clock on it will vibrate my wrist and not my send an audible alarm to prevent my girl from being woken up. I know it seems to be overkill to use 2 watches but I can't give up my Gshock 

Well aren't most Automatics about 40hrs on reserve? But yes, you will have it on and most likely charging it while moving, but I kind of view it as the same. Yes the battery life on most smartwatches like the android wear and apple watches will have similar battery life based on ones usage besides the old school pebbles that lasts like a week off the charger. 

Perfect example, I am wearing my Seiko Orange Monster on a Super Engineer band II and that's an auto. I have my Huawei smartwatch on the charger at home and won't really use it unless I am going to expect to be texting or be on the phone a lot that day. Or if I am expecting packages that day. I get notifications there and reminders. It's a good tool that needs to get better but I see potential.

#7 Franklion

Franklion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

TNW just sent me a deal on the Martian Notifier. Instead of $120 it's on sale for $36. I was wearing an analog watch but got a Fitbit Charge HR over a year ago so that's my EDW. Although a smart watch seems ultra cool I think it would be overkill for me. Even turned off the caller ID and alarm features on the Fitbit.

#8 Iain

Iain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

I'm sorry James that your experience with the Gear S2 is lacking. Personally I love the smart watch. I went from a pebble Kickstart edition to a gear 2 neo, to an s2 which I have owned for only a few days now. I am getting two days out of a charge but I am never lacking outlets at night to charge. Still a watch is very useful with or without the ability to receive e-mail. So I always have within reach to swap a citizen eco drive titanium. Also I have wireless headphones, a note 4 and a note tab 2014, so I edc a giant battery with a solar panel just in case. My wife laughs that a good bulk of my edc is power but I get enough use out of it all to justify it.

#9 Adam Douglas

Adam Douglas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

Save your money and buy the best watch you can afford. Don't just buy a watch because you feel like shopping. You will get more respect if you spend the money on a decent mechanical-movement watch from a reputable brand. (For niche-brands, check out Sinn, Oris and Aristo.)

in 2 years any "smart" watch you buy will be so out-dated and low tech you will want to take it out back and shoot it It's like buying a new laptop; the year you buy it it is the cool new thing, then a year later its a slow dog and you want to upgrade. At least a good mechanical movement watch will last you longer.

#10 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:55 AM

I switch back and forth between my Rolex Submariner and my Apple Watch depending on mood and situation. I do find myself wearing the Rolex more (I wish my Apple Watch was waterproof, especially in the Summer) because, hey, it's a Rolex and it was my inheritance from my father, so it's a little sentimental.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users