6 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Last night we had 9 tornados blow through the DFW area.

11 dead / 15 wounded

When the first tornado siren went off ....

Me:  do I need to put on real clothes

Him: hmm not yet

Me:  ok let me know

A few minutes later...

Him: ok get ready

I always have a plan in my head and since we do this a lot down here in "tornado alley" it was pretty much automatic.

In Small Day Pack:

Extra shirt

socks

undies

toiletries

meds

water

snack

A few prized items handed down from my Dad

First aid

In messenger bag (which is my version of a purse anyway)

wallet

Extra power supply for cell

headphones

hankie

Pens/pencils/paper

Husbands Day Pack:

His meds

lantern

Bigger first aid kit

Gun

Ammo

Knowing we would head to the concrete parking garage if the tornado headed at us....I knew we already had fully equipped vehicles.

Each vehicle has:

First aid kit

Emergency snacks

Water filtration

flashlights

A knife or 3

batteries

Boots and socks

Athletic shoes and socks

At the end of the evening - the storm passed us by and I put the packs back in the closet.

Always Be Prepared.

#2 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Kelly, glad you're safe but I've been praying for the those who are affected by these storms. Sounds like you'll had thought about and planned for what might happen. It's always easier to put the bags back away then run willy-nilly  through the house and only pick up half the things you need. Disasters can occur any where but peace of mind is bought by being prepared. I prefer to control those things I can and trust God with the rest. 

#3 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Michigan is going to be getting hit hard tonight with a ice storm.. Power outages are likely, so I made sure I had all my flashlights conveniently located in my house. I have gear in my Red Rock Sling Pack (my daily carry bag) to sustain light. I have a lighter and a Streamlight Stylus Pro in my bag.
  • Kelly likes this

#4 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

Well, I'm glad you guys are safe.  I live in Houston and we caught a lot of high winds and heavy rain but nothing like other flooding I have seen here.

Follow me on Instagram! | Post your photos on Reddit!

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Kelly, glad you're safe but I've been praying for the those who are affected by these storms. Sounds like you'll had thought about and planned for what might happen. It's always easier to put the bags back away then run willy-nilly  through the house and only pick up half the things you need. Disasters can occur any where but peace of mind is bought by being prepared. I prefer to control those things I can and trust God with the rest. 

Good Point :) I am sitting here shaking my head at the "duh" moment I just experienced.  Thank you for the reminder.

#6 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:49 AM

I started a thread concerning this some time back, but not many were interested. EDC has absolutely nothing to do with disaster preparedness. It's nice to have a small light a snack bar a pocket knife and a ferro rod in a bag, but when all hell breaks loose, those things will be reduced to non resource. "Preparation" is a way of life. It takes a certain level of dedication, discipline, research, and time to acquire. I live in the north. Harsh winters and hurricanes are always a possibility, and mother nature isn't afraid to throw in floods or tornadoes at a whim, and have seen  first hand, many times, just how badly people come undone almost instantly in an emergency because they chose to be unprepared for the very real possibility of a weather event known to be prevalent to their geographical location. 

My major preps are the basis of my ability to survive, and thrive. 

2 fueled and carefully maintained boats at the ready.

4, 4 wheel drive vehicles, one is diesel, and with the home heating oil I keep in my home, I can run it for months. 

Access to horses.

Six months of food, minimum, and a month of potable water in house, with an ability to produce clean water from the river I live on.

I have a storm cellar in my basement

Firearms and ammunition to feed a squad of Rangers.

First aid supplies

Communication

Generators

A home with a fireplace, and access to more wood than I could burn in a lifetime

Enough tools to build and repair almost anything.

And most importantly, even if a majority of my resources were lost, the mental stability and knowledge to survive without them. I do EDC certain items, but consider them to be minor conveniences for the day, and a get home bag in my truck that will help get me back to base if caught off guard, but those things will be used up instantly in a major event. Safety is up to the individual, and no one should be fooled into thinking "the government" will come to save them in any reasonable time frame, if at all. 

• Dave and WallyGator like this

#7 WallyGator

WallyGator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationSwamps of Florida

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

I agree with being prepared as being just way to live, Coldwater. Everybody every where should have a least enough supplies to last them a week. More, of course, would be better but it's a great start. It's really that not that expensive either. Buy an extra can of something you like every time you go shopping and you have a start on a food stash. Recycle milk jugs to hold water, pick up a propane stove or a tent on line or in a store when a sale is on. The dollar stores are full of cheap supplies. Granted these items might not be the lightest weight or the most durable but they'll do especially if you're bugging out in place or by car / truck. I live where we have hurricanes so I keep a eye out for deals all year round but especially after hurricane season ends. It just requires some planning that any one can do to get good cheap supplies. 

• coldwater likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tornados, prepared, EDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users