Logo

Today's Active Posts

Photo

What is Your Go To Knife for Self Defense?

Self Defense Knife

27 replies to this topic

#1 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Hi Folks,

I recently was doing research for picking a self defense knife for last ditch back up weapon to compliment the pistol I carry.

I am all about the functionality of a weapon first and foremost. If the tool in question looks appealing to the eyes so much the better.

I decided on  push knife for the attributes it offers.

Attributes

1) Ease of use, if you can through a punch  you can use the blade effectively

2) Thrusting power, the design of the knife aligns it directly in line with your wrist and forearm offering a powerful thrust.

3)Push knives due to their T shaped handle allow for a rock solid grip that makes it very difficult for the knife to be forced out of one's hand.

4) The design of the handle allows for grabbing an assailant with the knife still in hand very naturally with little or no risk of losing the knife. It also allows a person to hold the knife while gripping a pistol in the same hand.

5) The knife can be used quite effectively for slashing attacks, circular sweeping defensive slashes along the lines of Filipino knife fighting style.

6) Cost effectiveness, The knife I settled in on ran me on sale $40.00 in Japanese Aus8 stainless steel with a Kraton handle. I believe it to be the best production push knife on the market. There are some really nice custom ones I have my eye on for later but they are much more expensive.

7) The cutting surface of the Safe Keeper II for its small overall length The cutting surface is 7.5 inches with an overall length of 6 3/8 inches. Pretty impressive indeed.

8) For those that live in states where double edged knives are an issue to carry Cold Steel offers single sided push knives like the Safe Keeper III.

Downsides to the Safe Keeper II

The only downsides to the knife that I have seen is that the knife may not be legal in certain parts of the country. The state that I live in, Florida deems it a concealed weapon. The fact I have a Concealed Carry/Weapons (CCW) license makes this a non-issue in my state.

Some states and or cities have bans on anything other than an "ordinary pocket knife" which the standard for that would be a Buck model 110.

Any knife with assisted opening, unique blade shape, thumb stud to open the knife one handed could be considered menacing by a court even if it was used in a justified self defense scenario because it was not the perceived normal pocket knife.

So folks tell me what you carry, and why. What are the attributes of the knife you carry, what are the weaknesses if any? What do you like for a EDC knife whose primary purpose is self defense and perhaps utility second?

I want to see pics if you have them, even a commercial shot will do.

"Judges ought to remember that their office is jus dicere, and not jus dare; to interpret law, and not to make law, or give law."

-- Francis Bacon - "The Essays of Counsels, Civil and Moral" (1625)

https://www.youtube....h?v=O6oBJT-x3GE Demo of the SafeKeeper II

https://www.youtube....h?v=PucS-vjTCsk Demo of Cold Steel Pushdagger (part 2) Cutting clean through rib cage  of pig in one slash.

https://www.youtube....h?v=WOP3PR2SFFg Side by side comparison of all Cold Steel push knives from key knife to the XL sized versions.

5101465bf1366.jpg

Buck Model 110

43NSK_m.jpg

Mini Pal (smallest of the push knife series)

Specifications:
Blade Length: 1"
Overall Length: 2 5/8"
Steel: Japanese Aus 8A Stainless
Weight: 0.5 oz
Blade Thickness: 2 mm
Handle: 1 5/8" Long Kray-Ex™
Sheath:Secure-Ex® Sheath w/ Key Chain Lanyard Clip

12BT_m.jpg

Safe Keeper II

Blade Length: 3 3/4"
Overall Length: 6 3/8"
Steel: Japanese AUS 8A Stainless
Weight: 3.6 oz
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Handle: 2 5/8" Long Kray-Ex™
Sheath: Secure-Ex® Sheath

12CT_m.jpg

Safe Keeper III

Blade Length: 2 1/2"
Overall Length: 5"
Steel: Japanese AUS 8A Stainless
Weight: 3.5 oz
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Handle: 1 3/4" Long Kray-Ex™ Sheath: Secure-Ex® Sheath

• germmarket[XXX] and Davidnanny like this

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

I've looked at the Cold Steel push daggers, but "daggers" are illegal in my state, regardless of CHL permit. We recently struck down the ban on switchblades, maybe daggers will be next. I've never really looked at the single-edged options, maybe those would work. It looks like it would interface nicely with my previous martial arts experience...

Anyway, my preferred self-defense knife is the Cold Steel Drop-Point Spike:

53NCC_1.jpg53NCC_6.jpg

Cold Steel Testing Video

https://www.youtube....h?v=235EN9dEwzs

Specifications:
Blade Length: 4"
Overall Length: 8"
Steel: German 4116 Stainless
Weight: 2.3 oz
Blade Thickness: 3 mm
Handle: 4" Long Faux G-10
Sheath:Secure-Ex® Neck Sheath With Bead Chain Lanyard

It's designed as a neck knife, but I carry it IWB, strong side, blade facing forward. I modded the sheath with the great advice of the people over at the Cold Steel forums. Basically I removed the chain, got a Spyderco G-Clip:

51LKPCrouqL._SL1010_.jpg

I then lashed the clip onto the sheath with gutted 550 cord. The clip barely moves around, and the retention is EXCELLENT. 

I only carry this knife when I am out rucking. In the city next to us, there have been several incidents where people were robbed at gunpoint on a walking trail, and someone was randomly attacked and murdered with a machete while running on a different trail, so that's mainly why I carry. (And it just feels wrong to not have a knife on me, since I have carried one since I was seven)

I don't wear a belt while rucking, so the knife simply clips onto the waistband of my pants, but the clip will not go anywhere, even with a forceful draw.

Pros:

Solid guard, very difficult for fingers to slide onto blade.

Grippy handle, not as grippy as their Kraton, but very good nontheless

Good positive retention in the sheath

With G Clip, extremely versatile carrying options. No belt, with belt, IWB, OWB, neck knife, boot knife, etc.

CHEAP at only $19 USD

Decent blade length @ 4 inches

Cons:

Sheath has a tiny bit of rattle

Not as solid grip as a push dagger

So that's my choice. In the future, I want to experiment with their different tip blade configurations (Bowie, Tanto, Tokyo) but I'm very satisfied with the drop point.

EDIT: It looks like the Urban Pal push knife would also interface with the Spyderco G Clip, so that might be worth looking into...

• armydoc likes this

#3 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Hi Nathaniel,

Awesome review of your knife. It looks like an all around like a very nice nice knife with a very functional blade in a compact, and stealthy package.

• Nathaniel P likes this

#4 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:26 AM

this is when firearms arent a good option...
and discretion is key...

20150903_135112.jpg

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#5 Harshit Gupta

Harshit Gupta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

I carry a multi tool and a fixed blade knife for my outdoors self defence. The snaps are below:

IMG_20150225_145252.jpg

Found this at: http://www.knifeindi...multi-tool.html

IMG_20150317_163917.jpg

Found this at http://www.knifeindi...tter-knife.html

Found these perfect for my outdoors. What do you think about them.

When you think of something, Go for it.......

Love to Carry victorinox trekking Knives and leatherman multitools for outdoors survival.

#6 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

Brendan,

Nice Benchmade .

You have a true fighting knife there. The tanto point will go through soft body armor and is great for slashing. The serrations add to the blade for utility purposes to save you main cutting edge.

Is that your choice for when you deploy?

#7 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

Harshit,

I have NEVER seen a design like that multitool.

Your knife looks like a defensive folder and a Leatherman Wave gave birth.

That is a really neat design, do you carry that knife in a belt sheath or in your pocket?

That tanto folder makes a great defensive knife option as well.

#8 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Brendan,

Nice Benchmade .

You have a true fighting knife there. The tanto point will go through soft body armor and is great for slashing. The serrations add to the blade for utility purposes to save you main cutting edge.

Is that your choice for when you deploy?

Doc
Thats the plan when we get the call, it's going to be on my kit..
26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#9 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

Brendan,

Ever hear of Randall Knives?  Bo Randall was considered the father of modern knife making. He passed away in the early 1990's but his family carries on the business. They operate out of Orlando Florida. If you ever get down there they have several thousand knives on display for you to see.

Last time I checked they were backordered on their knives by about 3 years believe it or not. When I was being called back to service for a tour in Iraq Randall Knives had an offer for Soldiers, you could pick one knife out of several designs and they build it for you in 12 to 16 weeks.

I commissioned them to build me my combat knife I took with me to Iraq. The design I chose it is fast and feels like an extension of my hand. I have NEVER felt a knife quite like the Randall I own.

You ought to contact them and see if they still have that offering, you wont be disappointed, I promise.

I will look to take some pics of the knife and upload it here when I get a chance.

http://www.randallknives.com/

#10 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

With some Christmas money, I picked up a Cold Steel Urban Pal. I didn't have a dedicated serrated knife, and was interested in the T-handled knife after your review armydoc.

43LS_1.jpg

And I have to say, it has replaced my Spike as my go-to SD knife. Much easier to use, as I have ample TKD training, but little in the way of standard knife. And in addition, it is MUCH more comfortable to wear. The Spike dug into your ribs when you sat down, the Urban Pal does not at all. Not to mention it prints much less. I paired it with a Spydero G-Clip (Like I did with the Spike) by lashing on the sheath onto the clip with gutted 550 cord. Rides IWB like a DREAM. Only tiny problem is that it can be a bit difficult to draw in a full grip, but I am confident that should go away with practice. 

And another good thing about this knife, is that CS is very smart when it comes to advertising. Nowhere do they refer to this knife as a "dagger", which keeps it legal in my state (State laws say no dagger, but offers no definition).

#11 Highlander

Highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

20151219_173251_zpsk3twvdf6.jpg

tops steel eagle... well cause it is a beast

• armydoc likes this

#12 Mason Delpino

Mason Delpino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

Attached File  27TLT.jpg   30.65KB   0 downloads
Knife for self defense (that I own): Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto
  • Nathaniel P and armydoc like this

#13 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

With some Christmas money, I picked up a Cold Steel Urban Pal. I didn't have a dedicated serrated knife, and was interested in the T-handled knife after your review armydoc.

And I have to say, it has replaced my Spike as my go-to SD knife. Much easier to use, as I have ample TKD training, but little in the way of standard knife. And in addition, it is MUCH more comfortable to wear. The Spike dug into your ribs when you sat down, the Urban Pal does not at all. Not to mention it prints much less. I paired it with a Spydero G-Clip (Like I did with the Spike) by lashing on the sheath onto the clip with gutted 550 cord. Rides IWB like a DREAM. Only tiny problem is that it can be a bit difficult to draw in a full grip, but I am confident that should go away with practice. 

And another good thing about this knife, is that CS is very smart when it comes to advertising. Nowhere do they refer to this knife as a "dagger", which keeps it legal in my state (State laws say no dagger, but offers no definition).

The push knife design offers many advantages over the traditional knives for certain. I am glad you have come to enjoy the PAL series of knives. I have yet to hold one of those in my hand, but they do show a lot of promise. They weight, size, and cutting poer of your new knife is hard to beat.

As an update to my push knife the Safe Keeper II regarding concealed carry. I have come to find that the Kraton rubber handle to be slightly abrasive against my skin as I carry it inside the waistband. Wearing a light t-shirt underneath would remedy this problem but the fact that I reside in Florida it would drive me crazy with the heat and humidity.

Two other options would be to modify the handle by sanding it down or replacing it with a non rubber grip. I found a gentleman that does modify and restore knives. Here is same knife I own a Safe Keeper II (as pictured above) sporting a new handle, leather sheath, and complete polish job.

The gentleman is question works on all types of knives and you can see more of his very interesting modifications here.

http://www.sunrisecu...irs/repairs.php

19.jpg

#14 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 727 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

Got these guys as my second self-defense option -- the first being to remove myself from danger as fast as possible. Chose them because they're lightweight, always wanted karambits but wasn't happy carrying full-sized ones, and will do enough damage as a last-ditch effort.

MQ9GnIu.jpg

#15 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

Don't have one: In Canada, carrying a knife is legal. If you are asked why you have a knife and you say: "Self defence" it automatically becomes an illegal and concealed weapon. Utilizing one as such puts oneself at risk of charges.

However, I picked up a Cold Steel Counter Point II a year ago basically just because it was cheap and looked cool. It's become one of my favourite work knives due to the fine but strong tip, and the fact that CS knives come sharp, durable and if I bust it all to hell, I won't feel bad. I believe they market it as a defensive folder, which I can only imagine it does so with ease. Strong and sharp blade that would make thrusts go through like butter. Fairly lightweight, small in stature but definitely punches up a weight class. 

It really makes an excellent work knife for my application of breaking down boxes, opening packages, cutting silicone and cleaning tools.

#16 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

If I had to rely on a knife for defense it would be my USMC Kabar. Big, long and pretty much indestructible, it would give me a lot of reach and penetration. Not fancy, but practical.

#17 James A Cathcart

James A Cathcart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Brendan,

Ever hear of Randall Knives?  Bo Randall was considered the father of modern knife making. He passed away in the early 1990's but his family carries on the business. They operate out of Orlando Florida. If you ever get down there they have several thousand knives on display for you to see.

Last time I checked they were backordered on their knives by about 3 years believe it or not. When I was being called back to service for a tour in Iraq Randall Knives had an offer for Soldiers, you could pick one knife out of several designs and they build it for you in 12 to 16 weeks.

I commissioned them to build me my combat knife I took with me to Iraq. The design I chose it is fast and feels like an extension of my hand. I have NEVER felt a knife quite like the Randall I own.

You ought to contact them and see if they still have that offering, you wont be disappointed, I promise.

I will look to take some pics of the knife and upload it here when I get a chance.

http://www.randallknives.com/

Holy crap ArmyDoc, those knives are absolutely beautiful! Next time I have 500.00 to burn, I'm picking one up.

#18 JD

JD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

Benchmade SOCP dagger or the Shivworks clinch pick. Both are amazing knives. I went to the SOCP dagger a while back but still love my clinch pick. Both are excellent defensive knives.

#19 Dan Post

Dan Post

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

I don't carry a knife for anything but utility/emergency purposes, but if I had to use my blade out of defense, it would be my Spyderco Manix 2. I dropped it from about 4 inches and it stabbed all the way through the subcutaneous tissues in my hand.. It would definitely cause some damage!

#20 ThePeacent

ThePeacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Cold Steel XL folders, all of 'em

20160225_171014_zpsue40sxeb.jpg

big, tough, sharp

20160220_174535_zpsosjropns.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users