The best carry on luggage

29 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

Been doing a little research on this. Its pretty tricky because international flights have a smaller size allotment.

Some good brands are briggs and riley, tumi, andiamo.

I recently bought a tumi vapor lite international for the wife and a andiamo avanti 22 for myself.

What type of luggage can you guys recommend?

81hEULCDysL._UY679_.jpg

81-Ie1nGE4L._UX385_.jpg

#2 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:43 PM

Some more sexy ones:

Rimowa Topas Stealth

Lat 56 road warrior

Pelican EL22

rimowa-topas-stealth-cabin-multiwheel-ia

RW_01-Location-2-470x313.jpg

pelican_lg_el22_gryblk_22_elite_carry_on

• KlaudeMarks likes this

#3 Gundose

Gundose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

Isn't Pelican more for electronic equipment and... guns?  :D

Follow me on Instagram! Wallets&Whiskey | Post your photos on Reddit!

#4 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

Isn't Pelican more for electronic equipment and... guns?   :D

The EL22 is a new product they just released that is made for travel. Its actually a great bag for checked luggage, as baggage handlers are notoriously hard on luggage. For carry on, I think its likely a waste as it has no features that you would expect in any other carry on (suiter, luggage straps, second bag holder, center divider, etc.. )

#5 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:45 AM

I bought a Briggs & Riley International Carry On and I'm a big fan. It's on the edge of size restrictions so if you expand it too much or they cut down regulations it might start becoming an issue but right now I love it.

#6 Renegade Pilgrim

Renegade Pilgrim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

Patagonia MLC (either the 45L or the 26L work well for me)

#7 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

Another one which looks pretty amazing- Victorinox WT-20 - Has a built in suiter

http://www.amazon.co...?tag=h1111-20

gJlBWrn.jpg

#8 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

I bought a Briggs & Riley International Carry On and I'm a big fan. It's on the edge of size restrictions so if you expand it too much or they cut down regulations it might start becoming an issue but right now I love it.

I liked that one also, but was concerned with it being a wide body. That size isnt allowed on over 75% of international airlines- Not sure how many of them would stop you though

#9 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:11 AM

Yes, to be on the safe side you would want something a bit smaller. I've never been stopped for size but it would be very annoying if I had to check it. I do fly mainly BA though and they seem to be OK with it.

#10 Joshua Denton

Joshua Denton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

I use the Cabin Max Lyon. Handy to have a set of wheels through the airport when your in queues and stuff but dragging them around down or when there are stairs so much easier to sling it on you back. I've got it on lots of flights with lots in it when others were stopped this is because its soft it crams in the cage thing easier plus if you put it on your back when you walk up the gate it gives the impression of a smaller bag ('oh thats on his back cant be a big bag').

https://cabinmax.com...6983191804.html

#11 Adam Tracksler

Adam Tracksler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:26 PM

Just upgraded my Northface Basecamp Duffel (around the world with me since 1996) to a Filson (Time to grow up and have a 42 year old's bag, not a 22 year olds... The North Face will be handed down to my 22YO neice)   : 

Filson-Medium-Duffle.jpg

(The north face)

DSC05574.jpg

• Dave likes this

#12 Bard

Bard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

I just did a week in Florida carrying all I needed in an Osprey Farpoint 40:

Osprey-Farpoint-40-The-Best-Bag-Size-For

(not my photo)

The best bit is that it can be carried in different ways. By the handles, over the shoulder or as a backpack.

It came in under 8 kg (17.6 lbs) fully packed (including my laptop). The size is within airline carry-on restrictions. The trick is to pack the essentials only. I found I could have eliminated even more stuff.

It felt great in the airports walking past all the others waiting at the luggage carousel. :P

• Dave likes this

#13 whosaidjazz

whosaidjazz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

By the way I recently came across the site onebag.com which is all about travelling with only carry on. One that guy recommends is the Red Oxx Air Boss, but I have no personal experience with it.

#14 Mike

Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

A few people on another list are recommending these ...

http://www.zuca.com/...0070/Pro-Travel

#15 Unisaw

Unisaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

I have a Red Oxx Air Boss and love it.  I have about 90,000 miles on it and it looks brand new.

#16 Heretofore

Heretofore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

I have this one from REI and I love it

http://www.rei.com/p...ible-luggage-22

It fits very well in the overhead and I think it has the perfect amount of space and appropriate sized pockets.  The wheels are very stable as well. Definitely recommend it for standard travelling

#17 Adam Morris

Adam Morris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

http://www.chapmanba...en/rambler.html

This is the newest equivalent to what I use. Mine has four internal pockets as well as the others. It is not exactly the same as this but mine is a little under 30 years old and still looks as good as new.

#18 Scott Gamble

Scott Gamble

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

If you like a traditional carry-on roller I recommend Eagle Creek products. I was looking for one that was the lightest (tare) weight I could find. So many of the bags I found were heavier to begin with, and by the time my stuff was packed inside it was heavier than I like to haul around.

The Eagle Creek Adventure series is sturdy, lightweight, and is carry-on qualified in all airlines I have flown (> 30 trips/year). It is just over 7 pounds empty.

http://shop.eaglecre.../d/1203_cl_1488

On a couple of occasions where I have had airlines hurt the bag (mostly breaking zipper pulls/zippers), Eagle Creek's lifetime warranty kicked in. I mail it to a local repair facility (mine is in NY) and it is back in a few days. I do have to cover shipping to get it there, but I have kept the box it came in and shipping is only a few bucks.

Highly recommended!

#19 Arnie

Arnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Look at Tom Bihn products. They make great backpacks and travel bags. I have a few of them and they are very well made. They specialize in the one bag carry philosophy (no checked baggage).

#20 Robert Razavi

Robert Razavi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

I look at what aircrews have, and a lot of them have Travelpro luggage and carry-on. So that's what I bought and from a price/value perspective, it can't be beat!

Many more sexy luggage can be found, but at twice or three times the price for about the same performance... Plus Travelpro has a 10 year warranty on their stuff....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users