#41 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

• Evernote: I have this app on my S5 and my primary laptop and love it. I still carry around a pocket notebook and a pen, but use this constantly, more for taking pictures than written notes, except when I leave my notebook at home.
  • Dropbox: I don't store anything except apps on my computer, so this is my primary storage for anything that doesn't get stored in Evernote.
  • Mailbox: The best mobile email client I've found, Makes the stock one look like a bad joke, and not just because it actually sinks to your account.
  • Stitcher/Beyondpod: I listen to various podcasts on a daily basis. I love Stitcher but I'm always playing with podcast clients, and BP has me intrigued, though my only real gripe with stitcher at this point is the widget doesn't work.
  • Instapaper/Kindle: I love instapaper because I can annotate articles. I use both to read during deadtime that I'm not listening to podcasts.

Interesting...I just downloaded Mailbox.  I'll see what that's all about!

#42 Reece

Reece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

- Parcel: very simple little app, great for tracking parcels

- Udemy: free and paid courses, excellent for learning new skills or brushing up on stuff you have forgotten, currently teaching myself a new code language and you can pay for courses using your App Store gift card balance

- Letterspace: clean and simple note app, don't really use it so much for notes use it more for writing long emails as the interface is very easy on eye

- Balanced: I get very busy in the week with work and forget to do a lot of things I should, this app keeps track of everything on my to-do list, really recommend this to any body with a growing to do list!
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#43 Noel Rivas

Noel Rivas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:53 PM

Spotify

Snapchat

Instagram

Outlook

Tinder

Alien Blue

Paper

Pocket

#44 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

Awesome additions, gentlemen!

• Reece likes this

#45 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

Oh I totally forgot! I use Snapchat to communicate with one person. Literally. Fun app though.

#46 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

Using iOS8

Multitasking-Evernote
Mail
Remind
Health (I use it to count my steps in a day)
Entertainment- MLB At Bat (in season)
Netflix
Geocaching
8 Ball Pool
Social Media- Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

I would really like to see EverydayCarry as an app!!! Who's with me?!?
  • Duff72, Chris Szaroleta, Dave and 1 other like this

#47 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:24 AM

I'm with you, John!  

• John B. and Jim Carr like this

#48 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

We need this.
  • John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

#49 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

We need this.

I agree.  I find myself getting frustrated when I try to use the site directly from my phone.  It's just a bit too expansive for the mobile version to handle all that I'd like to do.

• John B. likes this

#50 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:48 AM

Naa, I think apps for websites are going the way of the dodo.  The Verge recently shelved its mobile apps after a site redesign; for most sites I prefer a good website to an app e.g. the BBC, .  If there aren't any specific benefits to integration with your phone's features or other apps, the best thing to do now IMO is to have a responsive site that works well in a mobile browser - more easily maintained across platforms, more adaptable to tablets and easier on the wallet than employing app developers for iOS and Android (+ Blackberry & Windows Phone / Windows 10 now).

If you find the mobile experience frustrating, maybe the guys could do something with the feedback :-)  just my £0.02 GBP

• John B., Chris Szaroleta and Sam Quint like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#51 John B.

John B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Naa, I think apps for websites are going the way of the dodo.  The Verge recently shelved its mobile apps after a site redesign; for most sites I prefer a good website to an app e.g. the BBC, .  If there aren't any specific benefits to integration with your phone's features or other apps, the best thing to do now IMO is to have a responsive site that works well in a mobile browser - more easily maintained across platforms, more adaptable to tablets and easier on the wallet than employing app developers for iOS and Android (+ Blackberry & Windows Phone / Windows 10 now).

If you find the mobile experience frustrating, maybe the guys could do something with the feedback :-)  just my £0.02 GBP

True. Honestly, I've never tried to get on this site on my phone. I log on regularly via the mobile site on my iPad though and it works really well.

One reason I would want EDC.com to be an app is because they could integrate a camera feature. That could be beneficial within the app to upload photos. Other than that, the mobile site works fine. 

• Glen and Chris Szaroleta like this

#52 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

When Glen's right, he's right...

My biggest complaint about the mobile site, specifically the forums side of it, was not having the Today's Active Posts button.  Turns out, it's there!  Here's a screen grab from my Android phone (Galaxy Note 4).

tumblr_njz6j6huOn1u25gmmo1_540.png

The green arrow is the Menu button, and the white arrow points to the New Content button, which is the mobile version of the Today's Active Posts button.  I'm happy now.

• Glen, John B. and Marc like this

#53 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

When Glen's right

He is always right you Philistine!

• Glen and Chris Szaroleta like this

#54 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

Well, at least we've got that straight ;-)

(if only)

• John B. and Chris Szaroleta like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#55 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, can't like!

#56 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

This was the third time in 24 hours that I was referred to as a "Philistine."  Strange...

#57 Franz Karpanov

Franz Karpanov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

A mobile app for the site could be a great idea  ;)

Talking about edc apps here's what I use on my android Motorola MotoG:

Google Keep: useful to take notes, as you know. I prefer this to Evernote because it's faster and you can synch your notes with other users. It has also a widget thet let you create notes on the go with a simple tap on the home page. Superfast and super useful.

What'sapp: no need for explanations, I guess.

Pushbullet: that's an app I use all the time, and I was expecting much more people using it too. It's useful to transfer files between your devices. Just open a file, tap the "share" button, select "pushbullet" and choose your device. It could be a pc, a tablet or another phone. It's great. You can do the same things with pictures, links, ecc.

Aldiko: basically it's a reading app. It reads epub pdf and many more. I use it lot, expecially on my tablet. I've read many many books with it.

Twilight: it's a very small app, but very clever. It changes the dominant color of the screen and makes it yellow(ish). Ideal for reading a book without getting your eyes tired.

Swipe Settings: it's basically a huge widget that controls all the settings of your phone in one simple tap. And I mean ALL.

Pocket: a virtual wallet. Useful to save all your personal data, from websites loging to bank accounts to whatever you can imagine. It's protected by a password and can be syched with dropbox. It closes automatically after few minutes without any need to log out.

Life360: a gps tracker. It send informations about your position to other persons of your choice, typically your family.

I bolt dock 'n drive: it's a drive dock with big buttons to launch apps. Helpful to deal with your phone while driving.

Flipboard: it's a sort of personalized digital magazine. You put your interests in, and it creates a virtual magazine for you to read taking the contents from the sites, blog ecc. that you told the app to follow.

#58 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

Very cool, Franz.  I need to check out Pushbullet.  I assume it's either using Bluetooth or WiFi Direct?

#59 Franz Karpanov

Franz Karpanov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:54 PM

Very cool, Franz. I need to check out Pushbullet. I assume it's either using Bluetooth or WiFi Direct?

It uses an internet connection. Wi-Fi for sure, but also your phone operator (I don't know how do you call it in English...I mean the internet connection that you use with your SIM card).

I don't know if it works via bluetooth, but I don't think so.

I also forgot to mention that it sends your phone notification to your pc with a chrome plug-in, so if for example someone is calling you or has sent you a sms you will receive a notification right in your browser.

It's definitely a must-have!

#60 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

It uses an internet connection. Wi-Fi for sure, but also your phone operator (I don't know how do you call it in English...I mean the internet connection that you use with your SIM card).

I don't know if it works via bluetooth, but I don't think so.

I also forgot to mention that it sends your phone notification to your pc with a chrome plug-in, so if for example someone is calling you or has sent you a sms you will receive a notification right in your browser.

It's definitely a must-have!

I'm going to check into this ASAP!  Thanks, Franz.   :)

• Franz Karpanov likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users