#1 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN Area

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:55 AM

Most of us have smartphones that do an incredible amount of tasks for us..some are necessary for us to get through each day, while others are more for occasional fun.

Personally, I have an Android device, which isn't to say I don't like iOS - I have an iPad as well. I've used a multitude of Android devices since my wireless carrier started selling the OS in '09.

The apps I consider to be an extension of my EDC are:

Google Play Music
YouTube
Snapseed
Mobile Metronome

All four of those apps are fairly common, but are crucial to my day. The one slightly uncommon app I use that I suggest to everyone is White Noise. Both iOS and Android make dozens of different White Noise apps, but just about any one will do.

What are some of the apps you all are using that you think we EDC'ers could benefit from? Ready...go!

#2 Mikey Bautista

Mikey Bautista

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 781 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

Personally the apps I use the most are Spotify, MyFitnessPal, and Uber.

If I were to relate it to EDC -- I'd say VSCO Cam and Hyperlapse to add features to "the camera you have on you," Waze for the drivers, and your e-book reader of choice to carry your books with you.

• Chris Szaroleta and Tanto Blade Advantages like this

#3 Ed Jelley

Ed Jelley

• Moderators
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

One of my favorite apps for adding utility to stuff you already carry is Duet.

You install it on both your Mac and iPhone/iPad and it allows you to use either device as a second monitor. 

Setup is easy, and operation is plug-and-play.

The lag time is unnoticeable because it is a wired connection. It's great to have your iPad act as a second monitor on the go, especially when you're already carrying both of them around. 

I also use:
- Google Play Music - free cloud storage for my music means no device storage taken up

- VSCO Cam - very powerful photo editing, right from my phone. 

- Fuji Camera Connect - allows wifi control / wireless picture sharing from my X100T to my phone

- Google Inbox - bundles emails automatically into categories and makes getting to "inbox zero" really easy

- Feedly - most polished RSS feed reader keeps me up to date on all of my websites

• Mikey Bautista, Chris Szaroleta and Miguel Lopez like this

#4 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

I consider these to be an extension of EDC:

• Evernote - essentially a notebook, I use for professional & personal stuff. You name it, you can make a note for it. Couldn't live without it. You can "tag" multiple notes to link to the same topic. Like post-it notes on steroids. I have Evernote synced to phone, ipad, 2 laptops. 
  • Dropbox - cloud based file storage. I store mostly documents, but can store anything including photos. It comes in handy for other uses, such as travel - I'll save all travel docs, itineraries, contact, info, etc. so it's all in one file and easily accessible. Dropbox is also synced to phone, ipad, 2 laptops. 
  • Google - for weather, driving directions, Googling, etc.
  • Weather Underground - in my opinion, the most accurate weather forecast tool

• Mason Delpino and Chris Szaroleta like this

#5 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

I don't do anything except talk and text on my phone. On my iPad I use The Weather Network, Google translate and The Score apps daily.
  • Chris Szaroleta likes this

#6 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

These are apps I use in an EDC context i.e. apps I use that replace physical things in my pockets:

I don't usually carry a pencil and notebook unless I'm going to a meeting, Google Keep is my go-to app for short notes and shopping lists, if I want to write something more in-depth I'll use Evernote.  Both these apps sync to the cloud, so I can access my notes on another device or with a web browser.

For music I use Google Play Music with an All Access streaming subscription.  I listen to loads of podcasts on my commute and at home, and I use the brilliant Pocket Casts app.

To automatically back up my photos to the cloud, I use the Google+ photo app.  I use the Google Calendar app, it's great after the most recent update.  For documents, I use Microsoft OneDrive & Google Drive which sync with my work and home computers.  If I have to navigate somewhere, I'll use Google Maps.

• Chris Szaroleta, Alester Lazar, Sven and 1 other like this

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#7 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

These are apps I use in an EDC context i.e. apps I use that replace physical things in my pockets:

I don't usually carry a pencil and notebook unless I'm going to a meeting, Google Keep is my go-to app for short notes and shopping lists, if I want to write something more in-depth I'll use Evernote.  Both these apps sync to the cloud, so I can access my notes on another device or with a web browser.

For music I use Google Play Music with an All Access streaming subscription.  I listen to loads of podcasts on my commute and at home, and I use the brilliant Pocket Casts app.

To automatically back up my photos to the cloud, I use the Google+ photo app.  I use the Google Calendar app, it's great after the most recent update.  For documents, I use Microsoft OneDrive & Google Drive which sync with my work and home computers.  If I have to navigate somewhere, I'll use Google Maps.

Google Keep is awesome.  Great reminder on the podcasting app, Glen...I use Stitcher.  Also, that's a sweet new bearded profile pic!

• Glen and Gonzo the Chef like this

#8 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Shazam- to ID the songs that I dont know or cant remember .
Claustrum-android time waster game
  • Chris Szaroleta and Gonzo the Chef like this

#9 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Shazam- to ID the songs that I dont know or cant remember .
Claustrum-android time waster game

I just downloaded Claustrum...there goes my night.

• Duff72 likes this

#10 Duff72

Duff72

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I just downloaded Claustrum...there goes my night.

I loved the game Qix at the arcade as a kid . this was as close as I could find. Qix is much better.

#11 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

I loved the game Qix at the arcade as a kid . this was as close as I could find. Qix is much better.

Beats the hell out of Tetris (I waste A LOT of time on Tetris).

#12 Dan

Dan

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

I assume we mean non stock apps, so:

Messaging: Skype, Steam

Entertainment: FollowShows, Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime, Pandora

Social Networking / Time Killing: FB, Twitter, Hacker News, Reddit, Feedly

Utilities: Mint, Nest, Hue, Amazon, Google Authenticator, remote Desktop

Lazy bastard apps: Uber, Postmates

#13 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate, South Carolina

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:42 AM

I use the snot out of ebay app, it's well built too I feel

Also pandora, watchville for precision timing my watches, blackjack gam by mobilityware, Netflix, watch ESPN and regular espn app, LinkedIn for networkin, tunein radio to hear local radio when I travel

#14 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationN.Ireland

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:45 AM

Google Keep is awesome.  Great reminder on the podcasting app, Glen...I use Stitcher.  Also, that's a sweet new bearded profile pic!

One compromise to saving space by using my phone to take notes is the extra time it takes to whip my phone out, unlock it, launch the app and create a new note; I've found Keep to be quite quick to get going. (As I type this, I've just added a Keep widget to my home screen to make it a little quicker).

I thought I should more accurately represent my current facial hair status ;-)

ico50-twitter.gif ico50-instagram.gif ico50-tumblr.gif ico50-gplus.gif

#15 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

For downtown, I frequently pick up whatever is free and a bit of a brain teaser. I just finished Logic Dots. Has a bit of a Sudoku feel to it.

#16 Chris Szaroleta

Chris Szaroleta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

I thought I should more accurately represent my current facial hair status ;-)

Maybe I'll do the same, Glen.  I'll trick out the photo in Snapseed so that it looks crazy!

• Glen likes this

#17 Mel R.

Mel R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Texas

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

As a non-native Texan and non-Spanish speaker, one app I tend to get a good deal of use from is Word Lens - you hold your phone's camera up to text in a foreign language, and it instantly translates it for you on the screen. Not 100% accurate as you might imagine, but you definitely get the gist...and it's fun to just play around with B)

• Glen and Stupendous Walrus like this

#18 Stupendous Walrus

Stupendous Walrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

As a non-native Texan and non-Spanish speaker, one app I tend to get a good deal of use from is Word Lens - you hold your phone's camera up to text in a foreign language, and it instantly translates it for you on the screen. Not 100% accurate as you might imagine, but you definitely get the gist...and it's fun to just play around with B)

I've seen that! It really works that well? That is so cool.

#19 James Caro

James Caro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Great topic Chris,

Mel thanks for the heads up on word lens I will have to add it to my apps :) I have to admit I've turned my iPhone into a bit of a Swiss army knife...I have added GPS compass altimeter themometer torch and the SAS survival manual.

For entertainment I have Amazon kindle so my books are on there also, Amazon video and have downloaded all my favourite films and don't need a WiFi to watch them .....being a bond fan I have 8 of my favourite bond films, gone in 60 seconds and the last samurai,

Amazon music app sorts music out:)

I always take my extra charge with me which will give 3 full charges for my phone and of course my plug charger..:) I also have a finding game from big fish apps ....so if I get stuck anywhere and if I am static for a long period of time I can amuse myself quite easily:)

Between my Amazon kindle HD iPod nano (which has 3 bond films on it)and iPhone 5 s if I had to bug out for 72 hours I would have some entertainment to keep me occupied after all the camp set up was complete ! :)

Attached Files

#20 Dom

Dom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1010 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

I actually use the flashlight on my iPhone regularly. It's no substitute for a torch, or even a good small keychain LED, but it's pretty bright and always with me.
  • John B., Sam Quint and WallyGator like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users