#21 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

it boils down to this...
I'd rather have and not need, as opposed to need and not have...
this is a mistake you will only make once....

cheers everyone, and carry it well...
be proactive, and hope for the best, and prepare for the worst

26th-infantry-division-subdued-patch.jpg

#22 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Yes, everyday and everywhere it is legal to do so.
Pulling a knife and stabbing someone "in self defense" would be a harder sell with the police, district attorney and a jury in the USA. Stabbings are personal, up close, and generally perceived as a more evil act over a good guy cowboy shooting in self defense IN THE USA. About the only people that get a pass when it comes to Stabbings is a battered wife in the kitchen stabbing the batterer.
EDC a firearm and you are generally MORE controlled in your actions because you are more confident in protecting yourself and others and are aware of the moral and legal results of your actions. The purpose of a firearm in the hands of a moral person is NOT to hurt and maim someone, it is to STOP THE THREAT and save lives.
If you carry a firearm, you NEED to carry a flashlight! You MUST clearly identify your target.
NutNfancy does gear checks with his subscribers when he meets them in person. I think it is very valid. Firearm, flashlight, defensive useful knife, and multitool. With that, you can get out of most basic bad situations.
  • Brendan and WallyGator like this

#23 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yes, everyday and everywhere it is legal to do so.
Pulling a knife and stabbing someone "in self defense" would be a harder sell with the police, district attorney and a jury in the USA. Stabbings are personal, up close, and generally perceived as a more evil act over a good guy cowboy shooting in self defense IN THE USA. About the only people that get a pass when it comes to Stabbings is a battered wife in the kitchen stabbing the batterer.
EDC a firearm and you are generally MORE controlled in your actions because you are more confident in protecting yourself and others and are aware of the moral and legal results of your actions. The purpose of a firearm in the hands of a moral person is NOT to hurt and maim someone, it is to STOP THE THREAT and save lives.
If you carry a firearm, you NEED to carry a flashlight! You MUST clearly identify your target.
NutNfancy does gear checks with his subscribers when he meets them in person. I think it is very valid. Firearm, flashlight, defensive useful knife, and multitool. With that, you can get out of most basic bad situations.

This one hundred percent this...
We know what is at stake if and when we have to pull that trigger...
Training training training & more training...

#24 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

On the topic of training my ex army pal says " Amateurs train until they get it right - Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." I like that when it comes to anything really.

And according to the him and apparently evidenced on the famous YouTube and the interweb - if you carry and thus handle a gun every day you are as (more?) likely to shoot part of yourself or someone you care about standing close-by by miss handling your weapon than ever actually having to draw in public defensively and hurt a bystander....

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

http://www.plinkercases.ca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#25 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

On the topic of training my ex army pal says " Amateurs train until they get it right - Professionals train until they can't get it wrong." I like that when it comes to anything really.And according to the him and apparently evidenced on the famous YouTube and the interweb - if you carry and thus handle a gun every day you are as (more?) likely to shoot part of yourself or someone you care about standing close-by by miss handling your weapon than ever actually having to draw in public defensively and hurt a bystander....

I'm confused. Does this mean everybody that carries a knife is more likely to stab themselves or their loved ones? That second subject in your post indicates some serious anal-cranial inversion. I realize there are incompetents in all endeavors. People should not fault the majority for the failures of the few, nor project their failings on others. Yes, if there are no firearms in your house, that really mitigates the possibility of an accidental discharge. Hold that comforting thought when you are the subject of a home invasion.

#26 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Donald... nice to meet you too.

Not sure why you are talking about knives as I certainly wasn't. That's some real chop logic leap there. Yours not mine.

I am not against anyone carrying a firearm if they want/need and are allowed to. And you do what you must and are allowed to defend your home and loved ones and stuff. Not any of my concern nor do I have an opinion on that.

I was following on the apparently un-offensive comment that ongoing training and firearms competence is a must if you are going to have then around all day everyday everywhere...(it is needed even if you just range shoot really but)... I was hoping to reinforce the point as has been made on this forum several time by others that owning and particularly carrying a gun brings with it a great level of social responsibility and training is one of those responsibilities.

In as much as I am a Canadian the whole firearm ready for home defense thing is really tricky even if I was inclined to do so. My guns of which I have several handguns are for sport not defence by my choice and by our laws.

Not sure who has the issue of what is connected to their rectum here.... seems all you see in the world are assholes so it may be your eyes. As a friend says sometimes "seems like you need another optical-rectal bisection"... happens to all of us at times...good luck with it.

Regardless of how you "see" me I will pray for you that you are never the victim of a home invasion. Take comfort in that if you like.

As I make it a policy of mine generally to respond once to those questioning my posts but not engage in any debate I do wish you well and will now remain silent in the remainder of the thread.

God Bless and be safe.

P.S. This exchange is an example of one concern raised when EDC was discussing a firearms section... it is a topic that is very emotional and thread can easily go sideways at the slightest real, implied or mistaken "offense"..... a far more hot button subject than say wallets unfortunately. Makes discussion difficult sometimes.

What nature requires is obtainable, and easily within reach. It is for the superfluous we sweat.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#27 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

I have to disagree with your friend. Carelessness and inattention to anything you do is a danger, especially if it involves firearms. Over the course of more than 45 years of shooting, and having sent at least 1,000,000 rounds down range between business and peace time, I have had one (1) negligent discharge. It was when I was 12 years old, and not following the rules I was taught concerning safe gun handling. It scared the shit out of me, and put me in serious hot water that resulted in loss of privilege for quite a while. Next time I picked up a gun, you can bet my head was in the game. Grueling training and attention to detail and safety has made me a considerably better, faster, and infinitely safer shooter. My body knows the routine without having to focus on much more than putting my eyes where I want the round, and the mind is focused on situational awareness. Who what and where everything is around me, and when to send the round or pull it. My loading unloading and handling is a breakless regiment of absolute detail to safe practices. When you become complacent or lazy, bad things happen. If I don't feel like shooting, I don't pick up a gun till I do feel like it and my mind is ready for the challenge. My firearms are unloaded, carefully checked, chamber flagged, and locked up. Cleaning is done with no ammunitioon in the room, and any mag is placed in a designated clear plastic bin right in front of the bench. If I can't see the mag in the box, everything comes to a stop till it's placed in there. All guns are safed with flags up, mag wells out, and revolvers are chamber flagged and stored with cylinders open, chambers facing out so I can see they're empty. No one but me touches any firearm in my home. On the range, they are under my supervision. No round goes into battery until it's show time, when the shows over, it's immediately made safe flagged and cased. No exceptions. When I holster my carry gun in the morning, the mad is dropped, the chamber is cleared, gun removed from the holster, and placed on the table. Holster and gun belt on, mag in pistol, round chambered, then holstered. End of day is the reverse. My carry gun is the only gun in my home that is not flagged. Instead, the slide is locked open and it's placed in my night stand with the mag next to it. Should the need arise, the mag is sent home, slide released, and the gun is hot. My dedication to firearm safety is something I learned, perfected and cemented into place over years of training and handling. It was no mistake, and it could only have come from a life of shooting. I don't understand the concept of practice training and dedication to detail making you less safe or competent. 

• Nathaniel P and WallyGator like this

#28 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

Coldwater if you mean you disagree with me then I am now very confused. You just said exactly what I mean. I never said it makes you less safe I said it makes you more safe. AND that it is a responsibility as you very clearly demonstrate.... that is exactly my original point...... It appears I need to go back to English as a first language school. Enough said by me it seems as everyone is reading it backwards for some reason so.... have a nice thread folks.
  • coldwater likes this

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#29 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

Murray, Donald's response was appropriate given the specific content of your former post, though perhaps less than respectful.  Please understand that the way you stated your point is eerily similar to the way many anti-gun arguments are phrased.  I reacted the same way he did, though I decided not to respond.  Your post appeared to present an argument against both having guns in the home, and practicing with them, and appeared to present youtube and your friend as evidence supporting that position.

That you were attempting to support the idea that more training and responsible gun handling is a good thing, wasn't clear.  An unfortunate "heated agreement" (as I like to call it) resulted.

I sincerely hope you'll return to our discussions in the future.

• coldwater likes this

#30 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

Coldwater if you mean you disagree with me then I am now very confused. You just said exactly what I mean. I never said it makes you less safe I said it makes you more safe. AND that it is a responsibility as you very clearly demonstrate.... that is exactly my original point...... It appears I need to go back to English as a first language school. Enough said by me it seems as everyone is reading it backwards for some reason so.... have a nice thread folks.

Murray, no harm done. I was pretty confused by the post, considering that I KNOW you own and shoot on a regular basis. I also know that you are and advocate of safe and responsible firearms handling. Something obviously just got lost in the delivery. No harm done!

#31 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

OK... thank you very much for that objective clarity and for letting me know what just happened here. I have (though not clearly it seems) stated all I wanted to so this really will be my last post on this particular line of conversation.

I would very respectfully suggest that perhaps folks maybe ask what a poster's position is on gun ownership before assuming they are "antis" based on poor choice of phrasing and references to the ever present social media... or check some of their other posts... or look at their avatar?....double check the context.... I have to write technical/contract documents for a living (perhaps a career change in in order) so I am not sure that I was that unclear... most certainly not in my post before Coldwater's. Nonetheless, does appear that however I wrote my posts (perhaps in Canadian eh?) they struck an anti anti nerve.

And thanks again for you insight. I appreciate it.

I really am done as "heated agreement" is a great phrase but tiring...

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#32 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Coldwater my friend we are all good!
And due to the timing of posts it looks like I responded to you already but that was meant for the Keiichi and his informing clarity.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#33 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

:D I'm glad we're all on the same page again.

#34 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1342 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

GROUP HUG!!

#35 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

I will hug you all if your safety is ON!! Or your hammer is down on an empty chamber....
Have a good night lads...unless you have other plans (as my friend also says all the time)

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#36 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

What's a safety? 

joking, I know what that is...

don't have one physically on my SIG...

I carry Red Con one all day everyday, a nice heavy 10lb DA pull plus not sticking my finger in the trigger well results in my safe...

#37 Donald McNany

Donald McNany

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

Wow. My AC inversion statement was concerning the "ex-army friend"s statements, not you. Sorry about the lack of clarity in that aspect of my post. I try not to insult people accidentally and this time was NOT on purpose.

#38 Murray Oliver

Murray Oliver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Well it seems it was a internet cluster jam all round.... all good now it seems.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic of "Guns...is it REALLY carried EVERY day?".

Sorry OP for the high jacking.... hope you are still with the thread you started and getting some answers to your question.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

maker@plinkercases.ca

#39 Clinda

Clinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

Carry a gun or even a tactical knife, ILLEGAL, I am in China.

#40 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

Ouch man,I feel bad for you...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gun, Edc, Carry, Everyday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users