Gun Edc Carry Everyday

80 replies to this topic

#1 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

So I wanted to discuss firearms ... is it really important as an edc and really carried everyday? I think an edc should really be something that augments your abilities to hurdle past task that would otherwise prove to be a hassle without...example is multitools offer multiple options...sunglasses protect your eyes from the sun when outdoors and phones offer the ability for communication entertainment GPS access to net calculator and a secondary watch etc...the only thing guns augment is your ability to kill or maim which is understandable in the case of defence BUT ...big difference between edcing and being armed...what do you think?? (Btw I'm not against carrying firearms as edc you have your rights and preferences so don't bash me over this post I just like to know everyones opinions)

#2 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

It's a lot like a first aid kit. The likelihood of you NEEDING it is very slim, but if you do need it, you really, really need it. 

For that reason, yes, a firearm is a different type of EDC item. The others (flashlight, knife, pen) one carries because they have needed/used one before. A firearm is carried for a situation one hopes to never, ever be in.

As far as importance to an EDC, that is ENTIRELY up to you. DO NOT let people play mind games with you and tell you that you MUST carry a firearm, or else you are dumb. NO. NO. NO. The choice to carry an item that can end another human being's life is an extremely heavy decision, one that not everyone chooses. And there is NOTHING wrong with choosing to not carry a firearm. If you are not 100% comfortable carrying a firearm and the weighty responsibility that comes with that, do not carry a firearm.

HOWEVER, if you do make the decision that carrying a firearm would be beneficial for your/others' safety, then in my opinion, it should be carried every day, everywhere you legally can.

(As far as not seeing the usefulness of EDC items, I've never seen the use of carrying a smartphone everywhere. Destroys your situational awareness, can be bad for neck/back, more dangerous than guns IMO (texting & driving), etc. So for me it's phones that I still don't get.)

• Roy, Country Jim, Gundose and 3 others like this

#3 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

"So I wanted to discuss firearms ... is it really important as an EDC and really carried everyday? I think an edc should really be something that augments your abilities to hurdle past task that would otherwise prove to be a hassle without"

A firearm is simply a tool that is part of tens of millions of peoples EDC gear. The most fundamental ability/right a person has is the ability to protect themselves or others from harm. There are crimes carried out everyday against good people ill prepared to meet that kind of threat, and there are crimes prevented everyday by good people with EDC firearms.

"I think an edc should really be something that augments your abilities to hurdle past task that would otherwise prove to be a hassle without"

I think being robbed, raped, and or murdered because you were able to legally carry a firearm to protect yourself and you chose not to or left it at home on the dresser because it was too heavy would be much more of a hassle than not being able to tighten a screw on your office Xerox machine because you left your Leatherman at home. Which one sounds more important to you?

"...the only thing guns augment is your ability to kill or maim which is understandable in the case of defence BUT"

That statement of yours seems to trivialize a persons very right and ability to exist LOL!

I will also add the mere presence of firearms act as a deterrent to bad guys carrying out their evil deeds. The fact that our country is unique in that our Founding Fathers believed in the right for every American citizen to own firearms for self defense and protect against government tyranny protected the United States against a Japanese invasion during WWII.

I quote Fleet Admiral and Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) during World War II Isoroku Yamamoto "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

For me personally I carry a firearm as part of my EDC for self defense, defense of others and active shooters.

Our current administration just let in several hundred thousand muslims from Syria that were not vetted to weed out the ISIS and Al Qaida fighters. We now have without a doubt more Islamic terrorists that have slipped into the USA like the ones coming across our open borders.

Sadly I predict more terror attacks in the USA, and if there is an active shooter that can be delayed by one armed citizen,  that buys our  Police Officers that much more time to get there to stop the bad guy.

That gives the unarmed fellow citizens that much more time to escape to safety. Seconds can mean the difference between life and death itself for the unarmed citizen trying to flee.

Because of one armed vigilant American, people may get to go home to their family, celebrate another Thanksgiving, Christmas or a Birthday instead of being taken to the morgue. 

So I think a firearm is the most important EDC a person can have opposed to the latest and greatest whiz bang mechanical pencil with go fast stripes painted on the side.

I would implore everyone to take look at the 4 links I posted. The first 2 are real life situations of Americans protecting their lives with their EDC firearms.

The third is the late great Marine Colonel Jeff Cooper speaking of proper mindset for an EDC firearm and self defense.

Finally Colonel Dave Grossman an Army Ranger and West Point Psychologist addresses the threat we all face in the USA and every other civilized country. It is certainly an eye opener that makes a strong case for an EDC firearm.

Cheers Nixon..

https://www.youtube....h?v=q9ZEbyDee8A  Armed Citizen 1

https://www.youtube....h?v=W9eCrs_MXxo  Armed Citizen 2

https://www.youtube....h?v=gffEqMytRtg  Colonel Jeff Cooper Proper EDC Mindset

https://www.youtube....h?v=7FTV9nExiDE   Colonel Dave Grossman Are you a Sheepdog?

• John B. and Roy like this

#4 Shelby

Shelby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

I agree 100% with Nathaniel P. I carry every day, I also train as much as I can. I beleive if you make the decision to carry you should also make the decision to train to know your weapon and holster. It could mean your life or someone else's life. It was a very long and complicated decision to carry but after weighing in on all the pro's and cons I decided to carry. I really like the way Nathaniel P explained not to let anyone tell your an idiot wether you carry or you don't. I hope I never have to use my gun but I feel I can and accept the responsibility.

• Nathaniel P likes this

#5 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Ah I see thanks for the input guys as I said not against it just thinking whether it should be an edc that's regularly flaunted ? I think it should be a hidden item
I like people that carry gun and "I really hope I do not have to use this, but I must carry it" etc however... what made me think about this is that i'v watched edc'er or have read post from people who say :I carry a 44 for an edc I dare you to run up on me"...or "I have a glock in my hip I'm ready to kill" it kinda makes me think that's way above what edc is I mean if I carried mine firing it is not the first option...because I don't know what it's like in America in terms of law... but shooting someone in self defence is really edgy law wise here... and someone said something about protecting yourself from getting robbed...so someone runs past and snatches your purse wallet etc effectively "robbing" you... you pull out your firearm and shoot ... self defence or no? You get into a fist fight with a drunk guy ? In the name of self defence would you pull out that gun on your hip and pop him? As I said that is extremely hard to pull of with some countries laws as it will be seen as murder not self defence because killing in self defence only stands up on court if your life was really in danger ? Would you really kill that drunk man or do the biggest thing and defuse the situation either through words or even taking the beating?

Once again not against carrying firearms just wondering?

Thanks again :)

#6 Chris Doherty

Chris Doherty

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Before this thread gets too many replies, just remember to be civil when replying to other users even if their opinion is different than yours. (not talking to anyone specifically, just a PSA since gun threads often turn into heated arguments).

• Nathaniel P likes this

#7 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:41 PM

Nothing wrong with questions! Better to seek knowledge than pretend you already have it...

what made me think about this is that i'v watched edc'er or have read post from people who say :I carry a 44 for an edc I dare you to run up on me"...or "I have a glock in my hip I'm ready to kill" it kinda makes me think that's way above what edc is

Just because a person carries a firearm does not exempt that person from being an idiot. Anyone who carries a gun with the mindset "Just try to mess with me" or "You so much as look at me I'm gonna shoot you" should NOT be carrying a firearm. Check out this video for a more in-depth look at this topic.

I mean if I carried mine firing it is not the first option

Correct. Shooting should NEVER be the first option. Here's the escalation of contact I try to go by:

1. Walk away. 

2. Verbal. "Hey, I don't want to fight okay?"

3. Physical, non-lethal. (Martial arts)

4. Weapon.

Now of course, there are situations where you would have to "skip" some of the above steps. If someone runs up to you in a cramped hallway and immediately tries to stab you with a knife, the walk away and verbal aspects quickly go out the window. 

I don't know what it's like in America in terms of law... but shooting someone in self defence is really edgy law wise here...

As far as self defense goes, here's generally what goes in the US: You can only shoot someone if your life, or the life of another is in immanent danger. *

and someone said something about protecting yourself from getting robbed...so someone runs past and snatches your purse wallet etc effectively "robbing" you... you pull out your firearm and shoot ... self defence or no?

No. If someone steals your purse/wallet and runs, the second you draw your weapon, YOU BECOME THE AGGRESSOR. And the courts will prosecute you as such. After he takes the wallet/purse and runs, there is NOTHING to defend yourself from, so self-defense does not apply.

You get into a fist fight with a drunk guy ? In the name of self defence would you pull out that gun on your hip and pop him?

In the barfight example, there is more to consider.

Did he bump you, then you swear at him, he swears at you, you push him, he punches you, and then you fight? That is not self-defense, that is a fight between two consenting individuals. BOTH of you are in the wrong, and you had better not pull ANY weapon unless you are literally about to die.

But, what if you were sitting at your table, talking to your friends, when he comes and grabs you and throws you to the floor, and then proceeds to kick you in the head. Here, it is self-defense. Your objective should be to A.) Get the heck out of there as soon as possible, or if that it not an option B.) Neutralize the threat as QUICKLY and EFFICIENTLY as possible. Now make sure to get the definition of neutralize:

The perceived threat should be rendered unable to pose a threat. AS SOON AS HE NO LONGER POSES A THREAT, AND ADDITIONAL FORCE IS UNWARRANTED AND ILLEGAL.

As I said that is extremely hard to pull of with some countries laws as it will be seen as murder not self defence because killing in self defence only stands up on court if your life was really in danger ?

Precisely. The question is "Was your life in danger?"

For instance, I have a black-belt in Taekwondo. If someone out of the blue tried to punch me, and I blocked the punch and push kicked (A kick with the ball of the foot in a straight line in front of me to push him back, not to injure) him back, then I am NOT allowed to immediately go completely ninja-butt-kicking on him or shoot him. Once he is pushed back, then you reassess. If throws his hands up and says "I don't want any trouble" and walks away, then that is the end of it. If instead he does something else, then you react appropriately. 

I hope this is all making sense, self-defense is a very murky realm, and I know I don't have all the answers.

WOW that was a big wall of text, guess I got carried away...

* DISCLAIMER 1: I am ONLY talking about self-defense away from one's own property. A home invasion scenario is a completely different animal, one that I do not have much knowledge on.

DISCLAIMER 2: I am also ONLY talking about civilian self-defense. If you are a law enforcement officer, that is a whole other can of worms that I am definitely not qualified to discuss.

• Chris Doherty likes this

#8 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

@ Chris Doherty yes that is why I stated do not bash me over this thread I just wanted to know

@Nathaniel P yes I agree with your entire text thanks for the input but the bit where you said you get thrown on to the floor and get your head kicked in here's the contradiction to that
You pull out your gun but your rocked and amongst the chaos and pressure you manage to pull your weapon which I assume is on safety it'lol be extremely difficult to switch it into live mode even more difficult to take aim but very easy to pull the trigger...and you pull the trigger and the vlbullet misses the mark and kills an innocent bystander on the other side of the bar.
I say, friends aren't friends if you get thrown around and mobbed by someone real friends would have eliminated the threat before he gets to move in to stomp on you. But you I agree with your entire text if you can defuse a situation by means of a none lethal method then much respect to you if you manage to get that gun out and defuse the situation that way much respect on your choice too but so many things to consider
And yes self defence is extremely grey and murky so please before anyone decides to use a firearm for self defence please read up on laws I don't want anyone to get in trouble because of what they thought was self defence was really not

Once again thank yous for the input

And please do not let this thread become a heated hot spot for arguments all I want is opinions to be positive and mature thanks :)
  • Nathaniel P likes this

#9 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

+ sorry for fuzzy post... blame predictive text LMAO

#10 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

You pull out your gun but your rocked and amongst the chaos and pressure you manage to pull your weapon which I assume is on safety it'lol be extremely difficult to switch it into live mode even more difficult to take aim but very easy to pull the trigger...

As far as the safety goes, many of the popular carry firearms have no safety. Take Glock pistols for instance. If there is a round in the chamber, and you pull the trigger, it will fire. There is no separate safety at all. (That's why they are popular carry gun, both for civilians and law enforcement. In the heat of the moment, it can be difficult to disengage the safety. [Actually, the safety is not to prevent the gun from being fired; I believe it was originally meant to prevent a gun from being fired if it was dropped on the ground. Many modern guns have measures to prevent this accidental discharge, so a separate safety is not necessary])

And quick aiming is something that only comes with training and practice.

(Laser sights can help as well, but only with a SOLID training foundation)

and you pull the trigger and the vlbullet misses the mark and kills an innocent bystander on the other side of the bar.

This is one of the most serious and important parts of carrying. Training, training, training, training. If you carry a firearm, it is your responsibility to train extremely hard. That's the only way to reduce the chances of an innocent bystander getting hurt.

Also, at least in the US, if an innocent bystander gets hurt, and you can prove you were trying to act in self-defense, it is possible that you will not be charged with any type of crime.

I say, friends aren't friends if you get thrown around and mobbed by someone real friends would have eliminated the threat before he gets to move in to stomp on you.

Very true with regards to the friends, but I was using that as a sterile example.

(Quick note: In the situation where you are on the ground, some would say it would be better to use a self-defense knife when the threat is that close. It reduces the chance of an innocent person getting hurt, since the range is limited, and once the situation is underway most people would get as far away as possible. But that's another topic for another day)

And I TOTALLY agree with being civil, mature adults. Far too many people, on BOTH sides of the issue, resort to personal attacks and the like when their views are being challenged. I firmly believe that everyone wins when all groups involved in the conversation keep calm and level headed.

The LAST thing I want is for this informational thread to degrade to the emotional name calling and personal attacks that seem to be so prevalent on the internet...

• Nixon Samuela likes this

#11 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input Nathaniel
On your last note I hope I did not offend anyone with my original post and every post after :)
I'm not against carrying firearms or anything
But I'd much rather carry a knife for self defence as it has far more uses as an everyday tool as well :)
  • Nathaniel P likes this

#12 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the input Nathaniel
On your last note I hope I did not offend anyone with my original post and every post after :)
I'm not against carrying firearms or anything
But I'd much rather carry a knife for self defence as it has far more uses as an everyday tool as well :)

No problem! I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly was not offended that you had questions!

Looking forward to discussing more aspects of EDC with you in the future!

#13 Nixon Samuela

Nixon Samuela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

Thanks same to you :)
But your views have definately helped me understand more about firearm carry and have been very helpful +1 for you

#14 armydoc

armydoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

As far as the safety goes, many of the popular carry firearms have no safety. Take Glock pistols for instance. If there is a round in the chamber, and you pull the trigger, it will fire. There is no separate safety at all. (That's why they are popular carry gun, both for civilians and law enforcement. In the heat of the moment, it can be difficult to disengage the safety. [Actually, the safety is not to prevent the gun from being fired; I believe it was originally meant to prevent a gun from being fired if it was dropped on the ground. Many modern guns have measures to prevent this accidental discharge, so a separate safety is not necessary])

I wanted to make the point that the Glock (my first handgun) actually has 3 safeties on the weapon. Two are internal and one external. If you take a look at the trigger it looks as though there are two triggers. The first one is the safety that keeps the striker fired pistol disengaged.

All your Glock variants from Ruger, H&K, Smith and Wesson all have this external safety.

https://us.glock.com...ogy/safe-action Direct link to the Glock website detailing their "safe action system"

Having manual external safeties on weapons is simply to prevent human error whether it comes from dropping your weapon or or poor gun handling.

The Colt 1911 as submitted for review for the US Army originally had only the beaver tail safety which was deactivated by gripping the weapon. The Army insisted on the additional manual safety on the side of the frame.

Back in the days of the old west single action revolvers could be accidently fired by the hammer being in the down position on a live round if the hammer was impacted, so people would carry the pistol with the hammer resting on an empty cylinder. If they anticipated going into harms way or the need they could load the extra round just before.

Modern day revolvers have internal blocks/safeties to prevent an accidental discharge in this manner. In fact many revolvers have an integrated key locking mechanism integrated into the firearm itself. I cannot say I am a fan of this.

Good firearms handling habits and common sense is the ultimate safety for anyone handling a weapon.

Colonel Jeff Cooper's 4 rules of gun safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

You follow these rules and you will never have an accidental discharge or your weapon.

#15 coldwater

coldwater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1310 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

I'm cool with differing opinions. What is right and true for me, may not apply to others, and that's absolutely fine. Speaking for myself, exclusively, carrying a defensive firearm is so completely ingrained in me that I don't really think about it anymore. It's not that I don't fully and completely feel the full moral and legal weight that comes with carrying a firearm, It's just that it has become a part of me. It's an intimate integral part of my life. I routinely forget my pocket knife, I seldom carry a multi tool, and never carry a flashlight. those things are always close, but not on me. I know that in the event that I need something, it won't be a dire emergency, and I can go to my truck and retrieve what I need. My sidearm is carried because, in the event it's needed, the need will be urgent and life threatening, and going to go get it from the safe isn't going to be an option. I was taught as a kid, heavily trained as a young man, and the training and attitude continued in civilian life. Bad things happen to good people. It's random, it makes no sense, and it's always at the time and location of a hate filled evil doer with murder and mayhem in his heart, picks. Some years back, the town across the river from me used to have an annual sale for the storefronts on main street. They poured out onto the sidewalks to sell their goods, and restaurants offered specials in outdoor cafe's It drew hundreds of people to enjoy a fun afternoon shopping and having lunch. One day, a maniac went into a store, bought a 10" butchers knife at a kitchen goods store, walked outside, and stabbed a 9 year old little girl to death. Sadly, I was not there. I have a safe in my truck, where it stays during the day while I'm at work, other than that, it's on me, even in church. Carrying a firearm is a grave responsibility, and is not something I take lightly. The use of deadly force and taking another life is nothing I care to do again, and with this in mind, it changes the way I look at my daily routine. My situational awareness is heightened, I avoid certain places, people, and noted behavior. I watch where I park, the routes I take, how I interact with others, and I never have a drink. No bars, EVER. alcohol and or drugs and firearms are not be used in the same sentence. It has less than nothing to do with fear, macho, or showmanship. I carry deeply concealed, and no one sees or knows I'm carrying. I include in my training, the elimination of tell tale signs of someone carrying a firearm that the police are taught for detection. The mainstream media purposely excludes stories of law abiding citizens saving themselves, or others in violent attacks from career offenders, but I assure you, the numbers of such cases are many every year. I choose to be vigilant with the safety of my family, the innocent, and myself. It's a personal choice, and I'm acutely aware that it is not a choice for everyone, and I'm good with that. However, it is my choice, and I desire the same cordial attitude. I have been trained, checked from the local to the federal level, have been finger printed, photographed, and much to my chagrin, been made to pay a substantial fee for my constitutional right. I pose no threat to anyone, unless you make the bad decision to do grave harm to myself, or someone near me. What happens next is their burden to carry, they made that choice, I'll make mine. 

• Nathaniel P, Country Jim, Brendan and 2 others like this

#16 Nathaniel P

Nathaniel P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

I wanted to make the point that the Glock (my first handgun) actually has 3 safeties on the weapon. Two are internal and one external. If you take a look at the trigger it looks as though there are two triggers. The first one is the safety that keeps the striker fired pistol disengaged.

Of course. That's why I specifically stated separate safety. I would not have used the term "Safe Action", since I was talking to someone who would not likely have that much in-depth knowledge of firearms. If I was talking to someone who was a class III firearms dealer, competes in 3-gun matches across the country, I would have replied differently. No need to inundate an unexperienced person with all the technical terms.

Also, he referred specifically to disengaging the safety, hence why I did not go into Safe Action types.

Thanks for the clarifier  though!

#17 Malcap

Malcap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

The best handgun to carry every day is the one you will carry everyday.  Most times that would be a small and compact pistol with an appropriate cartridge.  If you go too small you get too small.  Minimum cartridges are basically .38 Spl. and 9mm with various loads and an optional .45 Cal. if it is compact enough to carry every day.  Strong side carry on a belt holster if the best choice with other options for comfort.  When I retired from the PD I bought a Smith .38 Spl. Titanium Ti and a Smith CS45.  I hardly ever carried the .45 Cal. and recently it broke.  I carry the J-Frame Smith with CTC grip laser sight often.  Ankle, pocket, hip.   I replaced the CS45 with an S&W M&P 9 Shield with a CTC Green Laserguard sight. I had to decide to either get the safety version or no safety.  I got the safety in case I sell the pistol.  I've carried a Walther PPK way back and never used the safety. Striker type pistols like Glock and the Shield have internal safeties because of the partially cocked striker.  Some have manual safeties.  Using a safety is optional but I don't recommend having it activated on defensive pistols.  If you are concerned about an unintentional discharge and losing body parts because you are fearful of a particular pistol you should rethink carrying that handgun.  Police agencies usually opt for DAO or DA/SA pistols for their officers.  Mostly it's the DAO type with no safety.  I've been carrying since 1969 and carrying semi-autos since 1995 after getting a S&W 5946 for service duty.  All IMHO.   Safe Shooting.

#18 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

For me, yes - a firearm is a daily carry item. While I never expect (or want) to use it, I'm an old Boy Scout and being prepared is just part of who I am. My current go-to is a Kahr CM-9 because it's small, easy to carry and I can shoot it fast and well. I always carry a second magazine for reloading and stoppage clearing. My plan is never to get in a gun fight but to escape and evade.

#19 Ryan Yeats

Ryan Yeats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

I believe the meaning of EDC is set by the individual- if you carry a firearm everyday, then that is part of your EDC kit. I do understand the distinction you (Nixon Samuela) draw between the more "traditional" EDC items and a firearm- my "standard" EDC items have a host of potential uses, and using them is very common. My firearm though has one use and one use only, and has yet to be deployed (except at the range). I think your original post spoke to part of the answer- you have a definition of what EDC means, but others will have different definitions. I think of EDC as a mindset of preparedness, and the tools I choose to carry implement that mindset. So I carry a firearm in order to be better prepared for the worst kind of scenario- thus I consider it an "EDC" item. It seems your definition is more "practical," in a sense, based on how often a thing is used and how foreseeable those circumstances would be. Heck, maybe we both think the same thing, it's just a matter of semantics! No one is wrong or right, just different people having different outlooks. Thats my two cents.

And, stated for the record, I 100%, fully, passionately, uncompromisingly agree with something others have said- if you carry or have a firearm intended for self defense, wholistic and dynamic training is absolutely critical!

• Nixon Samuela and Blake like this

#20 MTavares

MTavares

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

Wow, great topic.  I truly impressed at the respect given to OP for his (valid) questions.  Generally a post like this would erupt into a volcano of insults and narrow mindedness.  Here's my take on it.

Pants on - Gun on.

I live by that mantra and have for quite a while.  When I joined EDC groups on the net I thought long and hard about whether to include my gun in any pics or descriptions.  I don't like to flaunt it and carry well concealed (As is the law in Florida, printing can and will get you arrested).  Then the most obvious thought crossed my mind.  My gun IS my EDC.  I'll forget almost everything else at times, but as soon as my pants go on, so does my gun.  For that reason alone, I chose to list my Glock 43 at the top of my EDC list.  

I won't waste time by restating everything Nathaniel posted, but I agree with every word.  

• armydoc and Blake like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gun, Edc, Carry, Everyday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users